Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
ScapNgranny Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 8:55:23 PM(UTC)
ScapNgranny

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Crying I am going broke buying mats!! they dont last long at all and by long ... I mean through one project.... like making a poster for my dd's school.

I use bazzil mainly and after a few times it goes to sliding over the mat .... I protect the mats like gold .... HELP .....
Mamoth Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 10:28:35 PM(UTC)
Mamoth

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 17 post(s)
try washing them with a mild detergent and let them air dry. This way you get rid of the paperdust that makes the glue less sticky
 2 users thanked Mamoth for this useful post.
ScapNgranny on 9/28/2010(UTC), DoodleBug2 on 10/11/2010(UTC)
lylacfey Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:32:12 AM(UTC)
lylacfey

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 251 post(s)
Wash your mats with warm soapy water. Use a mild soap like baby shampoo. Let the mats air dry.

There are several ways to make your mats sticky again. You can use Quilter's Spray. You can use the Zig Extra Large Glue Pen and some girls even run them through their Xyron sticker maker's.

Type in Cricut mats resticking in your favorite search engine or at You Tube and you will get some great hits with photos. Better than me trying to explain it and doing a bad job. BigGrin

HTH!
 1 user thanked lylacfey for this useful post.
ScapNgranny on 9/28/2010(UTC)
ScrappyKristin Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:41:16 AM(UTC)
ScrappyKristin

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Be sure you clean off the little "fuzz" after each use. You can re-sticky the mats with any type of repositionable spray adhesive (which I prefer) or with a repositionable glue pen.

LOTs of folks on here use their mats to death, I'm one of them. With the tips above, they will last a very long time.
ScapNgranny Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:54:50 PM(UTC)
ScapNgranny

United States

Thank you Mamoth, Lylacfey, and ScrappyKristin .... I will try these ideas and hopefully they will work which will leave my $s for cartridges.
 1 user thanked ScapNgranny for this useful post.
BRITMCKENZIE on 10/8/2010(UTC)
DevonCooper1 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:51:48 PM(UTC)
DevonCooper1

What about all that talk about adhesive spray voiding the warranty? Has anyone found that to be a problem?
Leanner Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:18:48 PM(UTC)
Leanner

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1481 time(s) in 1091 post(s)
I discovered that I could remove all of the adhesive using spray Goo Gone. I let it sit on my old gunked up mats for a few minutes and then just scrapped off the build-up.(I used a Pampered Chef scrapper) I then washed the residue off of the mats, let them dry and applied a nice new coat of Zig 2 way glue. After letting that dry, they are like new!

My machine is out of warranty so it wasn't a concern of mine.

For textured papers that don't want to stick well to the mat, I use a little bit of that blue painter's masking tape to help hold down the edges.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:20:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricketCMV Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:04:48 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
Leanner wrote:
I discovered that I could remove all of the adhesive using spray Goo Gone. I let it sit on my old gunked up mats for a few minutes and then just scrapped off the build-up.(I used a Pampered Chef scrapper) I then washed the residue off of the mats, let them dry and applied a nice new coat of Zig 2 way glue. After letting that dry, they are like new!

My machine is out of warranty so it wasn't a concern of mine.

For textured papers that don't want to stick well to the mat, I use a little bit of that blue painter's masking tape to help hold down the edges.

I do the same things Leanner does. I did not use anything on my mat until the warranty was expired, then I did some of the things OPs stated above. I used one mat from Feb. 2009 through the holidays, 2009 and into 2010. I still use that mat after I zig-2-wayed it two times. I have since broken out the second of my first two mats. I used my "E" 45-days straight to get Christmas Cards ready last year. I use it a couple of times a week, otherwise.

In March or April, 2010, I bought two new mats because they were hard to find during the holidays. I don't want to risk having problems with my first two when I need them the most, so the two new ones I've had for several months are in their original package, just waiting for me to break them out.

Char
PattiCarnelos Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:05:22 AM(UTC)
PattiCarnelos

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Good Day

I do the same as all the other girls. I have a couple of mats all the time that are new but for the most part I use goo gone and scrub them to get them clean and use the Zig Zag glue and they are as good as new.

Good Luck
Patti
tinkerbug Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:52:28 PM(UTC)
tinkerbug

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If it is fairly new and still not sticky enough, I sometimes use my lint roller to remove lint and go over it with a baby wipe, if they are fairly old, I wash them of and check for stickyness and if they are still not sticky enough after washing I tape off my edges and use krylon repositional adhesive. I hope this helps.
Hiding in My Craft Room Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:01:36 PM(UTC)
Hiding in My Craft Room

Was thanked: 269 time(s) in 142 post(s)
I have had a lot of positive reviews from people who have tried the method I use with Aleene's tack it over and over glue. You can watch a tutorial and read more about it here: http://www.hidinginmycra...t-mats-sticky-again.html

I hope that helps!
 1 user thanked Hiding in My Craft Room for this useful post.
Scrapbook44 on 11/14/2010(UTC)
MicheleV Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:25:30 PM(UTC)
MicheleV

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I kept on buying new at first I was afraid of what would "happen" to my machine ~ after the first time with zig, it worked so great I kicked myself for not jumping on board sooner!
Lots of other great tips here too!
Scraprageous Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:31:18 AM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 136 post(s)
I do the same thing - of course, I didn't start until the warranty period was over

use a lint roller
wash with warm soapy water
scrape off the adhesive
restick with your favorite adhesive (right now, I like the slice adhesive - liquid and spreads out with foam brush really well)

I have a hard time finding expression mats, so I do whatever I can to keep them going (I now have 4)

It takes some time to 'redo' your mats, but once done, they last like a new one.

Edited by user Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:32:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 3:40:21 AM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

United States

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 129 post(s)
I washed mine with DAWN dish soap and a manicure brush, it came out looking like new. MY adhesive was gone so I then framed off the outside with a paper strip frame I made as you dont want adhesive on the area that goes under the rollers. It will build up and gum up the rollers. I then sprayed it with quilt basting spray. Let it dry and it is like new. Cleaning it with the dawn and brush really amazed me, got rid of all paper fibers, and gunk. Give it a try and quit buying mats every couple weeks. We are recycling and saving the landfill :)
SAR Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 3:27:47 PM(UTC)
SAR

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I use very small pieces of the blue painter's tape around the edges of the mat. They can be reused. I think this is the most economical option-and it works very well for me. If I have already cut something out of the cs I am using, I put a little tape over each edge of the cut too.
ღgennyannღ Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 3:34:00 PM(UTC)
ღgennyannღ

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I use cheap masking tape to cover the outsides of the mats and then I use the quilt basters spray on mine and it works great.
Ebersole68 Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, October 04, 2010 6:26:51 PM(UTC)
Ebersole68

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I use the lint roller after each session and then wipe down with a baby wipe. I get great use out of my mats that way and the only time I have to throw them away is when the edges get too curled and won't go into the machine correctly.
enneirda Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, October 04, 2010 6:44:28 PM(UTC)
enneirda

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I use a baby wipe to remove old adhesive and paper lint from my mat. Let it dry. Than I use the zig 2 way glue pen and reapply the adhesive. I usually let this sit for a few hours before I put any more card stock on the mat. This works well for me, I'm still on my original mat and I've had my E for over a year now. HTH
KDG Offline
#19 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 2:09:57 PM(UTC)
KDG

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)
These are all great ways to make mats last longer, one thing I do is just tape the edges of my paper down with Scotch magic tape! Quick and easy! I don't fuss with all the washing..or haven't had the need to yet!
BarbaraRoper Offline
#20 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:46:21 PM(UTC)
BarbaraRoper

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
In addition to what has already been mentioned, I clean the mat with a baby wipe each time I use my Expression.
scrapsprite Offline
#21 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:12:08 PM(UTC)
scrapsprite

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 93 post(s)
tinkerbug wrote:
If it is fairly new and still not sticky enough, I sometimes use my lint roller to remove lint and go over it with a baby wipe, if they are fairly old, I wash them of and check for stickyness and if they are still not sticky enough after washing I tape off my edges and use krylon repositional adhesive. I hope this helps.

I do the same thing as Tinkerbug. You can get Krylon repositionable adhesive spray at M's. When they get old and start loosing some of their stickiness, you can also take a rubber brayer and go over the paper to make sure you get a good adhesion. Don't do this with a real sticky mat though or you'll have trouble getting the paper up.
DakotaBear Offline
#22 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 5:10:26 PM(UTC)
DakotaBear

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I always use two mats alternating them. And I always make sure I put the same side of the protective sheet back on the mat. So before removing the protective sheet the first time, I use a marker to indicate which side is up. I find that my mats are now lasting longer.
Ansa Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:46:51 PM(UTC)
Ansa

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Call me cheap....but what I have been doing is buying the 12x24 that come 2 in a pack for 15.99 at Michaels....and then I cut them in half.
This way Im getting FOUR mats for what I would pay for 2 12x12 that cost 12.99.
I have no problems and I never found the need to have a 12x24 mat (yet).

ansa
Mecllap Offline
#24 Posted : Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:45:51 PM(UTC)
Mecllap

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ansa -- glad to hear that worked. I bought a pack of 12x24 quite awhile back that I haven't ever used. Had been thinking about trying that -- so now I will! Thanks.
Personalized by T Offline
#25 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 8:34:12 PM(UTC)
Personalized by T

Ansa wrote:
Call me cheap....but what I have been doing is buying the 12x24 that come 2 in a pack for 15.99 at Michaels....and then I cut them in half.
This way Im getting FOUR mats for what I would pay for 2 12x12 that cost 12.99.
I have no problems and I never found the need to have a 12x24 mat (yet).

ansa

Ansa

i am new to the circut world, I was wondering is it possible to use a 6 X 12 mat in an expression machine? My 12x12 wasn't sticky and someone purchased a 6 x12 for me but It wants to slide around. What am i doing wrong?
Ansa Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:35:31 AM(UTC)
Ansa

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Sorry but a 6x12 won't work with the Expression
PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#27 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:41:13 AM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

United States

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 129 post(s)
I use DAWN dish soap and a fingernail brush and scrub scrub and it gets all the gooies and paper bits off. then let it air dry and then make a paper frame to go around the outside of the border lines lay the frame on and then spray with quilters basting spray. (the frame keeps any adhesive off the outer edges which go under the rollers so no goo there. Let the basting spray dry and you are good to go again. Works great and a can lasts a long long time. Two great reasons to do this. No sense in repeat buying of mats and we are keeping them FROM the landfills. We have become such a throw-away society we are saving money and helping the environment by refurbishing our mats.
Dancingfish Offline
#28 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:48:41 AM(UTC)
Dancingfish

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
KDG= I am with you-- I use alittle tape to hold the paper down --quick and easy!!Its not like I am saving the edge of the paper for anything anyway!!
DRP Offline
#29 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:39:55 PM(UTC)
DRP

There is a correct way to put the protective plastic cover back on your mat. Make sure that you write top or stick a sticker on the mat before you pull it off for the 1st time. That way you know which side should be up. If you are seeing stuff on your mat that is adhesive and you are pulling it off. If your mat is hard to get off or makes a loud sound when you take it off you have it on the wrong side. Finding this has saved my mats big time!!! I also wash mine with Dawn dish washing liquid and that helps. Tape off the edges with painter tape before you spray your mat with re-positionable adhesive you don't want to get glue where your rollers go.

Hope this helps
Jazzyjess49 Offline
#30 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 12:48:58 PM(UTC)
Jazzyjess49

When I have trouble getting the paper to stick I turn the mat, with the paper on it, over and use abrayer on the back side. I don't know why it makes a differenct,but I tried to brayer them on top, but they don't stick as well.
I have had my first mats for 2 years, and just through them away. It is important to keep the paper dust off the mats and out of the blade too. I still have my fist blade,and I use my cricut almost every day. You've gotten lots of great advice, so I'm sure you'll be able to make your mats last longer. Good luck!