Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Craftin My HeART Out! Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 2:38:25 PM(UTC)
Craftin My HeART Out!

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 88 post(s)
Hi,

HELP!!!

For all you Copic lovers out there I am so confused as to what markers to start with. Also the expense. Can I justify the expense, not really when I am sure there are other companies that have markers that are as comparable in quality as the Copic Markers.

So - What other markers are out there that are at lease comparable to the Copic with a smaller $$$ value?

If there are no other markers that are close to the quality of the COPIC markers, then what COPIC markers do I start with. There are so many different variaties. Sketch, CAOI(? not sure of spelling), etc etc.

Also what colors do you start with? Is there a starter set?

Any suggestions are really really appreciated!!

TIA

Diane

terrikrafts Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 3:36:35 PM(UTC)
terrikrafts

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Try Suzanne Dean's site.
http://scrapbitzcopics.ning.com/

Here is a link to what she has for resources.
http://scrapbitzcopics.ning.com/

She has videos you can watch, color combos you can print out.
all kinds of info.

I sell the Sketch markers, you can email me if your interested.

Have Fun!
Hugabug Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 4:13:46 PM(UTC)
Hugabug

Was thanked: 542 time(s) in 238 post(s)
Diane's Cricut wrote:
Hi,

HELP!!!

For all you Copic lovers out there I am so confused as to what markers to start with. Also the expense. Can I justify the expense, not really when I am sure there are other companies that have markers that are as comparable in quality as the Copic Markers.

So - What other markers are out there that are at lease comparable to the Copic with a smaller $$$ value?

If there are no other markers that are close to the quality of the COPIC markers, then what COPIC markers do I start with. There are so many different variaties. Sketch, CAOI(? not sure of spelling), etc etc.

Also what colors do you start with? Is there a starter set?

Any suggestions are really really appreciated!!

TIA

Diane

Hi Diane. I also have been doing a lot of research regarding the best marker at a reasonable price. The one I come up with is the Pro Markers. They are comparable to copics. I've watched a lot of instructional videos and have pm'd a lot of board members who use them. They all had nothing bad to say about them. And the good thing is they are soooooo much cheaper. The markers are not refillable but I think the price point justifys that difference. I printed out LOTV's promarker color suggestion chart which gives you the Promarker colors and the comparable Copics Ciao range. If anyone else has input I would love to hear it before I purchase.
b&wsmommy Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 4:17:30 PM(UTC)
b&wsmommy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There is a lot of really great Copic info and tutorials here:
http://colormecopic.blogspot.com/

There is also specific color info here:
http://colormecopic.blog...-lists-general-info.html

If you have any questions feel free to me or the peeps over at CMC :0)

~Rach
 1 user thanked b&wsmommy for this useful post.
TaraKatzman on 10/5/2010(UTC)
Bits-N-pieces Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 11:04:46 PM(UTC)
Bits-N-pieces

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 99 post(s)
i have used ZIG pens come in a set for 99 at joans and you can use your 40 or 50 % off coupon...

and teh stampin up markers are good to!!
dansgg Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 11:13:19 PM(UTC)
dansgg

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 228 post(s)
Check out Promarkers. Enfys (I think the spelling is correct) posted a very informative, in-depth post about promarkers and copics. You could probably find her thread. The consensus seems to be that promarkers are every bit as good as copics for a fraction of the price.
lylacfey Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:13:14 AM(UTC)
lylacfey

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 251 post(s)
There are a few brands of alcohol markers popular with crafter's.

Try Sharpies & Bics. Go to Google and type in Sharpie coloring tutorials, card tutorials, etc.. Do the same thing for Bic. You will be impressed.

PrismaMarkers are a good alcohol art marker are next in quality to Copics without the price tag. My got me a nice set at Michaels and he used a 40% coupon.

HTH!
Snowmanlover Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 11:14:43 AM(UTC)
Snowmanlover

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 111 post(s)
I LOVE my Stampin' Up markers sooooo much!
I have Marker Share Clubs all the time and am starting one up very soon!
Barb
~tallulah~ Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 11:38:40 AM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
i went with the copics. one reason was the sketch...love the shape much better than the round.

also while the price is better for the others, i really like that the copics are refillable. no matter how long it may take at some point the others are going to run out of ink. and then you'll have to repurchase. with the refillable ones you don't.

and something i especially like? because they are refillable you can buy the inks and wait for it! make your own colors. i love that! sometimes it just seems there should be a color in between colors that isn't there. with an empty pen (also available only because they refillable) i can make any ink color.
 1 user thanked ~tallulah~ for this useful post.
formeitsyou on 10/3/2010(UTC)
RavensFan Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 02, 2010 6:07:30 PM(UTC)
RavensFan

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I purchased my pro markers from www.carpediemstore.com. I was happy with the service, and the pro markers cost $1.49 each. I will say that the shipping was high. Therefore, I made sure I ordered every color I wanted so I wouldn't have to pay that shipping cost again. They only ship Fed Ex, and the shipping cost close to $15. That being said, the pro markers were still so much cheaper, even with the expensive shipping. I am happy with them, and every review I read on-line was a positive review.
rosie06 Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 2:46:28 PM(UTC)
rosie06

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have an additional question??? can you mix the pro markers with the copics???
paperblossoms Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 5:09:44 PM(UTC)
paperblossoms

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I'm not personally familiar with any other markers that are as good quality as the Copics. I tried the Bics and they are NO where near the quality of Copics. I would say if you want to try some Copics start with colors you personally LOVE. Get a couple colors in each family, reds, greens, blues etc. It's best to get 2-3 pens that are light, to dark so you can blend. And I get as many colors as I can in the Ciao because they are much less expensive but are exactly the same as the sketch except for the barrel shape and that you can't airbrush with them. My other biggest tip is to get a basic collection of Copics and then supplement whatever colors you don't have with Prismacolor pencils. This technique works so well for getting the blending and depth. You color your image with your Copics first and then go back with your pencils...you don't want to use the Copics on top of the waxy pencil as it could ruin your pen tip. (which are replaceable) Also, the best place for price I've found for Copics is oozak.com sign up to become a member and you get their lowest price and they offer free shipping on an order of $50.oo or more. They have super fast shipping and great service. One more tidbit, I've had my Copics for well over a year and just now have had to refill just a handful of pens, and I have 78 pens and use them almost daily, so really when you break the cost down they really aren't that costly. HTH!
 2 users thanked paperblossoms for this useful post.
MClicker on 10/5/2010(UTC), amanb on 10/16/2010(UTC)
Craftin My HeART Out! Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 03, 2010 5:31:56 PM(UTC)
Craftin My HeART Out!

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 88 post(s)
Thank you all so very much for all your tips and suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Any other ideas or tips welcome!!

Diane
MClicker Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 10:54:49 PM(UTC)
MClicker

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
[quote=paperblossoms]I'm not personally familiar with any other markers that are as good quality as the Copics. I tried the Bics and they are NO where near the quality of Copics. I would say if you want to try some Copics start with colors you personally LOVE. Get a couple colors in each family, reds, greens, blues etc. It's best to get 2-3 pens that are light, to dark so you can blend. And I get as many colors as I can in the Ciao because they are much less expensive but are exactly the same as the sketch except for the barrel shape and that you can't airbrush with them. My other biggest tip is to get a basic collection of Copics and then supplement whatever colors you don't have with Prismacolor pencils. This technique works so well for getting the blending and depth. You color your image with your Copics first and then go back with your pencils...you don't want to use the Copics on top of the waxy pencil as it could ruin your pen tip. (which are replaceable) Also, the best place for price I've found for Copics is oozak.com sign up to become a member and you get their lowest price and they offer free shipping on an order of $50.oo or more. They have super fast shipping and great service. One more tidbit, I've had my Copics for well over a year and just now have had to refill just a handful of pens, and I have 78 pens and use them almost daily, so really when you break the cost down they really aren't that costly. HTH![/quoteTI

I just purchased the glitter pens by copic. I have not received them yet. I got a great price at Overstock with free shippiing. Has anyone used them yet? Would appreciate any replies.Smile
CandacePelfrey Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:46:27 AM(UTC)
CandacePelfrey

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I love my copics and could only afford them BECAUSE i got them last year online at joanns.com with a 50% off coupon. I just checked and joanns still has sets of them online! Just google joanns coupons and hopefully there will be a 50% off one out there somewhere!
 1 user thanked CandacePelfrey for this useful post.
ikkin21 on 10/6/2010(UTC)
cyimbugbitten Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:14:38 PM(UTC)
cyimbugbitten

United States

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 438 post(s)
CandacePelfrey wrote:
I love my copics and could only afford them BECAUSE i got them last year online at joanns.com with a 50% off coupon. I just checked and joanns still has sets of them online! Just google joanns coupons and hopefully there will be a 50% off one out there somewhere!

I just looked and they have an online code right now for 50% off until the 16th, I believe...if that's the way you want to go.
Check out Enfys' blog before you decide...the promarkers are highly recommended too...much cheaper...Cool If I were to ever get any, I'd go w them. I haven't been making cards long and splurged (for me) on a pack of 120 prismacolor pencils.

Carol
Celery Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:18:35 PM(UTC)
Celery

Canada

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Thought I would put in my 2 cents...lol

I hate spending 6 bucks on a marker period, but saying that, being a drawer and sketcher my entire life, I know a good marker and pencils etc when I see one. I love my copics. I buy just a few at a time and now i have 8..... I love them, there amazing. But to each there own. I heard summin about tom summin markers (not sure of the name) but there suppose to be comparable to copics.... and I seen them used tehre really pretty.

I do love my copics tho and now i am hooked..
They have a set of markers at michales, and i am not sure of the brand, but it says on the pkg there comparable to copics..... they are very very expensive... I have used these, they are DEFINANTLY not comparable to copics, there colours are dull, they lose ink fast, and they arnt smooth, they also rip your paper apart...

Hope my opinion helps you....lol

Enjoy whatever markers you buy.