Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

catwomanofamericaf0793275 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:47:11 PM(UTC)
catwomanofamericaf0793275

Groups: Registered

I just received the car decal cartridge and have looked at the online instructions and have not found anyone saying which vinyl you use to create the characters. I have the regular colors now but it looks like they have a clear vinyl in different shades to make these. Does anyone know what I need to get or how to work with this cartridge.

Also, there is no description on putting the decals on the cars. It seems to me that weather would prohibit them from staying on cars too long, either hot or cold weather.

Someone please help.
unregistered Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:14:21 PM(UTC)
unregistered

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I have used Oracal 631 on my car windows. I currently have one on there that is over 2 years old and looks great. The car sits out in the elements year round. The only issue I have had with it is with words cut from very fine fonts like Scriptina. I have had some of that peel up.

Oracal 631 is easier to remove and is rated as "indoor" and it is safe to also use on your walls in your home. It is a matte finish. Oracal 631 is what is sold branded as "Cricut Vinyl" in stores -but it is CRAZY expensive to buy it under the Cricut brand. Exact same stuff is much cheaper elsewhere.

Oracal 651 is more durable - it is rated as "outdoor" vinyl and is harder to remove. It is ideal for car decals. It is glossy.

You will also need transfer tape to apply the decal.

I buy mine from Expressions Vinyl online, but there are many suppliers.

Expressions Vinyl has some great video tutorials if you are new to cutting vinyl.

EXPRESSIONS VINYL