Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Jakann Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:50:04 PM(UTC)
Jakann

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi all,

I got the Gypsy a few months ago, but other than using it for making some wedding invitations I haven't even touched it. In fact I tried to use it today, I searched for an image, found the image then immediately put the Gypsy down and then took out the booklet and cart. It seemed like a great idea at the time of buying it but I'm really regretting it now (especially as it was very expensive!)! I don't dare attach any more carts to the Gypsy in case I sell it, so I can't even use it for most of my carts! I've recently decided to concentrate more on cardmaking than scrapbooking, and it was scrapbooking that I could see the Gypsy being really useful for when I bought it. Am I being unfair and not giving the Gypsy a chance?

Jen

P.s. I'm a little sad now reading how you are all able to get the Gypsy for about $150 in the states...it's selling over here around £250 ($350ish)!!! and I paid slightly more when I got mine a few months ago!!! Crying
ScrappinMamaw Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:14:16 AM(UTC)
ScrappinMamaw

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 100 post(s)
I use mine all the time for card making. I open a template of the size of my card and place my images in it. It helps me decide how big to cut my images. However I do still use my handbooks to see the layers easily and pick out images. I like being to see where to place my paper and cut most things out at once.

Karen
 1 user thanked ScrappinMamaw for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
GypsyD Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:32:52 AM(UTC)
GypsyD

Was thanked: 1204 time(s) in 820 post(s)
ScrappinMamaw wrote:
I use mine all the time for card making. I open a template of the size of my card and place my images in it. It helps me decide how big to cut my images. However I do still use my handbooks to see the layers easily and pick out images. I like being to see where to place my paper and cut most things out at once.

Karen

Ditto here! It's awesome for that! I also like to use it for making leaves, flower, etc. I have layers I have saved and just go to them when I need to add flowers etc. for embellishments. It's also great for keeping things in proportion. I did a large poster for my dds door to keep the same size. eg. 6" was not the same for each fairy! They would have been a mess without the G!

Edited by user Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:33:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked GypsyD for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
cricaholic Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 9:55:46 AM(UTC)
cricaholic

Was thanked: 1172 time(s) in 667 post(s)
Crying Your poor Gypsy being so NEGLECTED!!! YES, your not giving it a chance!!! With only a few carts linked it's POSSIBILITIES are limited....Instead of thinking on the down side of getting rid of it later.....You need to think.."This is a NEW MEMBER of the FAMILY and its HERE TO STAY"!!!!!! I make cards and I LOVE my gypsy!!! it is so much fun and SEEING the design possibilites BEFORE you cut is the BEST!!!
Huh As for the cost! I got my gypsy when it launched and Yeah, within a few months the priced severely dropped.Wub Oh well, I LOVE my gypsy and I definitely got my moneys worth!!!! I use it ALL the time!!!
Laugh COME ON NOW!!! Lets give your gypsy a second chance!!!! PLAY/explore with it...your gonna LOVE IT!!!Laugh Laugh
 1 user thanked cricaholic for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
grannyscraftywheels Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 10:36:06 AM(UTC)
grannyscraftywheels

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I think my Gypsy was the best investment I made in my card making. I can work on a project, save it and pull it out any time anywhere. It is always in my bag and it is unbelievable how many wasted minutes I have converted in to productive time. Need a card using the paperdoll? I have one saved using basic size for card. I just pop it up, maybe change hair and clothing on another layer and cut. Same with wording! I have lots of welded words available. I can resize them as needed but keep the master one. The G was made for card making! Please give it another chance. Perhaps you are afraid of the learning curve but play with it and watch video on steps to use. You will be a pro in no time. Ask for help on this MB and you will be amazed at what you can do. Remember what Eyor says: I won't say no, I won't say can't, I won't say I won't try, I'll just say yes, I know I can, I can do it if I try!
 1 user thanked grannyscraftywheels for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
Jakann Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 2:10:52 PM(UTC)
Jakann

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to give her another chance! I just realised that I am waaay behind on the updates so I'm getting on with that now (not sure where I have been, but I don't have the hide contour feature yet Huh!) I really want to love the Gypsy so I have my fingers crossed! BigGrin
Buggin_Out Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 2:32:40 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

Was thanked: 385 time(s) in 250 post(s)
Go girl! I thought mine was a completely fivolous purchase whaen I made it, but I fell in love with it immediately and I love it more every day! Love Love Love
 1 user thanked Buggin_Out for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
Sing&Scrap Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 2:36:44 PM(UTC)
Sing&Scrap

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 327 post(s)
I felt EXACTLY the same way. So I bought a DVD (from Above Rubies Studio) and finally started watching it on Friday (have had my G since Mothers Day...). I'm about half thru the lessons and have leared to do some things. Yesterday I went to a crop and I forced myself to do everything on the G just to get more comfortable with it. It's working! Don't give up on her!!!
 1 user thanked Sing&Scrap for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
Buggin_Out Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:24:57 PM(UTC)
Buggin_Out

Was thanked: 385 time(s) in 250 post(s)
Let me expand a little on what others are saying about Gypsy education. I read a lot about the G before I bought it. I ordered it online and had to wait a week to get it. During that time, I watched a lot of videos and read even more about how to use it. I'm not sure this is all necessary; I did it just because it's the way I am. But I am sure it did help me catch on faster to the G. I suggest you both Google "cricut gypsy" and follow the links here for related blogs and videos. I bet these will help you like her a lot more. BigGrin BigGrin Good luck!

Edited by user Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:26:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Buggin_Out for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
ladybugstamper Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 6:54:57 AM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 245 post(s)
I was given my Gypsy as a gift from DH before any DVD's, last October. I learned by pushing a button to see what it did, put an image on the mat, played and then deleted the image. Then there started to be videos on You-Tube, those were very helpful.

I use my Gypsy to size an image, flip an image, repeat/copy an image, weld shapes, weld letters, window shop. I like the fact that files can be saved for future use, once you've done all the design, copy and cut is so fast.

I have gotten to the point where I don't use the overlays or buttons on my machines at all. I use my Gypsy with my Expression, O-Bug and Cricut Cake.

In terms of the handbooks, I downloaded them to my I-touch using an app called "Good Reader." I can look at my handbooks while using my Gypsy.

Hope you find some time to play and explore your Gypsy. I really enjoy using it.
 1 user thanked ladybugstamper for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
EyeBoop Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 8:53:12 AM(UTC)
EyeBoop

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 141 post(s)
Please give her another try, i am sure you will grow to love her!
I cannot live without my baby g!! BigGrin
 1 user thanked EyeBoop for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
Southernbellescrapper Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 8:54:09 AM(UTC)
Southernbellescrapper

Was thanked: 217 time(s) in 133 post(s)
I agree, I LOVE my Gypsy! It is sooo much easier than flipping through booklets. I find I can get so much more done quicker when it comes to scrappin'. And it's so easy to use. I'm glad you are gonna give it another chance! I hope you will fall in love with your Gypsy as I have mine!

Have you thought about playing along with the challenges here on the Gypsy Chat forum? I have found that to be immensely helpful for me. I have only had my G about a month or so and have learned SOOOOO much by doing these! And their just plain fun! Just a thought for you. :)
 1 user thanked Southernbellescrapper for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
PattiCarnelos Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 9:09:01 AM(UTC)
PattiCarnelos

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I use mine all the time.. I make cards all the time. I would be lost if I did not have my gypsy. I take it to work to the doctors and every where else I go.

It is easier then using your carts. I still use my booklets for the things that has lots of layering but that is about it. And once you have design what you are doing you just plug it in and off you go cutting. No switching cartage or playing with a juke boxes. If you have lots of carts it cuts down on the juke boxes b/c some of the ladies here have more then one juke boxes.

Give it a shot you will love it. I know that I do and do not regret getting it at all.

Thanks
PattiLove
 1 user thanked PattiCarnelos for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
Jakann Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 3:14:54 PM(UTC)
Jakann

I just used the Gypsy tonight to make a Wedding Anniversary card for my parents (thought it was a good opportunity to do a different card and use the Gypsy!). I actually got on with it really well...I could see this being a very good friendship Smile, so I will try harder to pick up the Gypsy in future!! Thanks Southernbellescrapper, I will have a look at the challenges. I've never actually taken part in any challenges but they always look so fun!

Do any of you have the 'Tie the knot' cartridge? - that is what I used tonight to make the card, and I used the plain card shape, duplicated and flipped it, and then welded it together (I'm sure I saw this technique somewhere on the forums) but when it cut out the edges didn't seem to line up once folded. It was good enough to go with, but wondered if I was doing something wrong?
OhCecilia Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:35:28 PM(UTC)
OhCecilia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I bought my G on launch day on HSN but I don't regret it at all. I know the price has dropped ALOT but I am always one that can't wait. I have the iPhone4 and couldn't wait for that either! Anyways, be patient with yourself and take the time to watch videos on youtube. I also got the Gypsy A-Z DVD and learned alot from that. There is a huge learning curve with the G but once you learn how to use it, you WILL love it! Good luck! BigGrin
 1 user thanked OhCecilia for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
Glasslyn Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:46:24 AM(UTC)
Glasslyn

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
BigGrin I can't imagine NOT having the gypsy. I use it all the time. I design everything on my gypsy then print. It is great for when you need to make a lot of cards. I fill up a 12x12 page with all of the designs and group them by color then away i go printing! I especially like that I can design a card using so many different images from different carts. It makes your cards, scrapbooks and items one of a kind! I mail a different card to my son every month and design them all with the gypsy! I already have my Christmas cards designed and are ready to print. Keep playing with it. You will come to love it!
 1 user thanked Glasslyn for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)
CindyVelotta Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:47:02 PM(UTC)
CindyVelotta

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have had my gypsy since last Saturday and I am hooked. I have created alot of designs already just by playing around with the features. I don't have a lot of time for videos so I just dove in and learned by doing. I couldn't imagine even buying a gypsy last year at this time, now I can't imagine not having one.
 1 user thanked CindyVelotta for this useful post.
Jakann on 10/3/2010(UTC)