Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AcidFree Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:41:17 PM(UTC)
AcidFree

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Every year my work hosts a craft fair. I almost always have taken part. I am now working on things for the craft fair, and DH thinks it is kind of silly. We sat down and figured it out, and after materials, I would make about 1.00 an hour when I make cards. Not even that much sometimes. Sometimes the nicer cards take a half hour to an hour, you guys know this! I cannot sell cards for 5 bucks-they would never sell. So how do you work it that you are actually making money-or do you just accept that this isn't really a money maker per se, and just go with liking to create stuff? Thanks for the input! If this post doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try and explain better.
lovethatbug Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:47:08 PM(UTC)
lovethatbug

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 228 post(s)
I would like to know as well. I have seen cards on Etsy that sell for $2.50 a piece
Stacy
Lguild Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:59:10 PM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
I've sold a few of my cards and taken some special orders. I do sell them for around $5 each if they're what I'd consider a complicated card or if I use specialty papers on them.

Card making is a hobby to me. I like to do it. If I can sell some and recoup some of the money I've spent on supplies, that's good too. Then I can go buy more stuff! LOL!

If you want to do this as a JOB, I would think you'd need to offer something really unique and consider it as an art work piece. Ask a painter how much they spend on canvas and paint versus the selling price of a picture they've done.

You pay not for the materials but for the end result.

Just tell your DH "it's not about the money"! LOL!

AcidFree Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:10:58 PM(UTC)
AcidFree

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I think you are right. I can't look at is as a job-DH was encouraging me to look at it that way. I have to just look at it as a hobby, I like to do it, so I do. I think he was just trying to be helpful, as I want to make some exploding boxes to sell, and one took me almost 2 hrs. Then I sell them for 6 bucks. He was trying to wrap his head around why I would do that. But we don't get better at our craft unless we practice, right?? BigGrin
Weezie13 Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:29:15 PM(UTC)
Weezie13

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 306 post(s)
Also a tip could be is to once you figure out a card...
Mass produce it...

Like, cut all the cardstock for your main card.. *say 10 pcs*
then if you're using a Spellbinder piece you've cut, and layered, cut and emboss
10/20 of them...
and go thru each step, just multiply it...
Then when you go to assemble... the assembly goes alotttttttt quicker...

It's the "DESIGNING" process that kills us..
Where should I put this, what paper, which punch..

but for me, I mass produce, in different colors and have say 10 of one card,
just different colors...

And that sells good, because then one person my like red, but the other girl doesn't..
she likes lime green... well, you've got each persons' fav' color and is more appealing
with the rainbow color scheme....

*hope my answer makes sense* lol!!!!
 3 users thanked Weezie13 for this useful post.
*myamagoo* on 9/25/2010(UTC), Wife2TJ (SamanthaJDesigns) on 9/26/2010(UTC), Flamenco92627 on 9/27/2010(UTC)
ksderby Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:36:10 PM(UTC)
ksderby

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 50 post(s)
weezie 13 makes a lot of sense. When I do multiples of the same card I find that I can do 10 or 20 in an hour. I, then make them in batches. Lots of people are willing to buy 10 of the same Christmas Card. That is what they would do in the boxed cards.
marti{pezadoodle} Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:39:37 PM(UTC)
marti{pezadoodle}

Was thanked: 282 time(s) in 147 post(s)
here's how i look at it - i could not do this as a money maker. i do this because i enjoy the process. then i end up with a ton of stuff i don't need so selling it even for a couple bucks gets it out of my house so i can make more stuff and gives me a few bucks to turn around and use to buy more stuff!Flapper
 1 user thanked marti{pezadoodle} for this useful post.
lormarcol on 9/25/2010(UTC)
NH_Cricuteer Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:40:12 PM(UTC)
NH_Cricuteer

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I totally agree with Weezie.

So far the only thing I ever sold at fairs was rag quilts. Those were really not 'money makers' when you take into account the time they took to make. However, once I figured out dimensions, materials, etc. I could make them a lot more quickly than at first.

I've thought about doing a fair with cards/tiles/altered tins this year. IF I decide to do it....I will produce many products off the same general theme/design so that I don't waste huge amounts of time making each item unique. Making things identical or very similar actually looks good in presentation as well.
*myamagoo* Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:52:50 PM(UTC)
*myamagoo*

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 908 time(s) in 423 post(s)
Weezie13 wrote:
Also a tip could be is to once you figure out a card...
Mass produce it...

Like, cut all the cardstock for your main card.. *say 10 pcs*
then if you're using a Spellbinder piece you've cut, and layered, cut and emboss
10/20 of them...
and go thru each step, just multiply it...
Then when you go to assemble... the assembly goes alotttttttt quicker...

It's the "DESIGNING" process that kills us..
Where should I put this, what paper, which punch..

but for me, I mass produce, in different colors and have say 10 of one card,
just different colors...

And that sells good, because then one person my like red, but the other girl doesn't..
she likes lime green... well, you've got each persons' fav' color and is more appealing
with the rainbow color scheme....

*hope my answer makes sense* lol!!!!

This is how I go about it too....get the design...then do all your cuts...when you know how you want the card to be it's SO much FASTER to do the assembly line methodBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
britngavin Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 6:27:03 PM(UTC)
britngavin

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 81 post(s)
I vote the assembly line way too! I just did 34 bday invites for my niece's 2nd birthday. If I was going to start selling them I wouldn't do them as complicated as I did hers, but, lol, oh well, live & learn. I had to assembly line them, I did the first few and it drove me nuts to do each step individually, I think I did 4 that way before I did the assembly line process. I've thought about doing Christmas/Happy Holiday ones and selling them here. We've got a craft store where you can rent a space and display your stuff. You just bring it in, with it already priced(including sales tax), and they sell it for you. And you can go in and decorate your area and bring in product whenever they are open.
Lguild Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 6:52:26 PM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
marti{pezadoodle} wrote:
here's how i look at it - i could not do this as a money maker. i do this because i enjoy the process. then i end up with a ton of stuff i don't need so selling it even for a couple bucks gets it out of my house so i can make more stuff and gives me a few bucks to turn around and use to buy more stuff!Flapper

That's what I was trying to get across.....and you did a great job with your explanation.

My DH likes to fish. He has a $16,000 boat and probably $10,000 worth of tackle and equipment. Figure out how much he'd have to sell his fish for by the pound!

Same concept, IMHO! LOL!
Weezie13 Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:49:46 AM(UTC)
Weezie13

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 306 post(s)
Lguild wrote:
That's what I was trying to get across.....and you did a great job with your explanation.

My DH likes to fish. He has a $16,000 boat and probably $10,000 worth of tackle and equipment. Figure out how much he'd have to sell his fish for by the pound!

Same concept, IMHO! LOL!

marti{pezadoodle} wrote:

EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!
And it's theraputic, keeps us busy, out of trouble and can make a few dollars back for our "habit"....

and my hubby plays paintball... what a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ hobby...
Although it's a great stress reliever, *which is worth it's weight in gold* is $$$$$$
So, it all evens out in the wash.....
Snowmanlover Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:02:36 AM(UTC)
Snowmanlover

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 111 post(s)
HI, I don't do craft fairs any longer. I just don't have the physical energy as they wear me out so much. I have done many in the past.
What I do now is sell my cards at a few shops. I sell them for $3 or $4 upfront and she sells them for $5-$8 but it is an upscale gift shop.
At two other places I leave them there and sell them on Commission and the shop owners keep a portion.
It is a lot of time and not to mention the money invested but if you enjoy it go for it!
Good Luck!
PedalPower Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:26:35 PM(UTC)
PedalPower

Was thanked: 1566 time(s) in 932 post(s)
I sell at a store, too. I will never make a fortune there, but I'd be making cards anyway. It gives me a chance to make more and also add more "toys" to my room, since I do bring in a bit of $$ each month with the arrangement I have set up. I could never send all that I make, so it works for me to sell them for a bit of money. I don't look at it as a job/hourly rate earned. It would be impossible to justify doing it if I looked at my cards that way! I just enjoy it, and selling them gives me a valid reason to make more. I often use the "assembly line" process, but I also like the "one offs" just to see what people like.
Papercuts Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:43:16 PM(UTC)
Papercuts

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Well, how much does your walmart store sell those hallmark cards for? I tend to think that everyone would pay at least the same to get a handcrafted card. I've hand painted cards - which is way easier than crafting them, and people still buy them for $4 and $5 cdn.

I'm surprised they're not sold for more than just a few dollars. But I hear what you're saying and you just need to move them out for more space on the living room table (no craft room for me just yet Drool ) My main medium used to be paint on glassware, and that sure took up loads of space until the next bazaar. Not to mention the theraputic aspect of crafting.

So I have lots of materials to start card making....but I don't think I'll sell them for only a few bucks.

Bye 4 now. Laura
JanieW Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:50:41 PM(UTC)
JanieW

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 763 time(s) in 371 post(s)
I finally realized the assembly line way of doing it was best. I agree, it takes me forever to decide what to do. I sell at a Vet's office,and get all the money. I sell at a pet boutique and she takes 20%, but today at their Paw Fest there was a drawing for the rescues that were there and I won $416.00!!!! I also sell at the Antiques Mall I am in, but the rent is already paid for by my antiques business, but I pay a 13% commission. It at least pays for some of my hobby and buys some dog food every month. When you have a 3-4 hundred dog food bill each month, every penny helps!

Janie

Edited by user Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:52:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified