Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ScrapHappyDeb Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:52:49 PM(UTC)
ScrapHappyDeb

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 5547 time(s) in 2056 post(s)
DH and I are considering taking a trip to Boston the first week of November. We are from Texas and wanted to go somewhere on the east coast for a change of scenery and have never been there and heard it was nice.

Any Bostonians want to offer advice if that is a good time of year to come and recommend any MUST SEE sites in the area?

Would appreciate any advice from anyone familiar with Boston area.

Debbie
Lguild Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 10:37:20 AM(UTC)
Lguild

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
DH and I visited that area a few years ago. Friends that lived just outside of Boston took us into town on the train for a day trip that was a lot of fun.

We hit the historic area downtown, did a lot of walking-sightseeing and had lunch at the bar that the TV show Cheers was based on.

I suggest taking the walking tour if you're interested in history.

We also went to Mystic, CT and really enjoyed the maritime museum there. Had one day in Salem too.

IMHO I'd familiarize myself with mass transit schedules rather than trying to drive my car inside Boston. Traffic is a nightmare. They do have some nice tour buses that will take you all over the city too. Although in Nov it might be a little chilly to ride on the double decker roof! LOL!

Wish I could go back with you! Be sure to eat several bowls of clam chowder for me!
ksderby Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 9:33:06 PM(UTC)
ksderby

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 50 post(s)
It really depends on what you like to do. I wouldn't say November is the BEST time to be in Boston but it isn't a bad time. It will be a bit chilly and likely rainy. the previous poster recommended using mass transit, I completely agree. It is a pain to drive in the city and the drivers can be a bit aggressive for southern taste.

Things to do, if you like history, it is fantastic. There are a number of great walking tours that are well worth the time. I would recommend North Church, Old Ironsides, maybe a trip out to Plymouth to see all the info on the Pilgrims and the Mayflower. There is a great Aquarium. Boston has more universities/colleges than you can shake a stick at. Walking around Harvard and Harvard Square is fun. The Kennedy Library and Museum is very impressive. Walking around Beacon Hill is pretty cool. The cobblestones and houses are old as dirt and cool to see. Totally touristy but fun ... take the Duck Tour.

You'll get fantastic seafood all through out the city. Boston also has a wonderful Italian neighborhood. There are some great pubs, Irish and otherwise.

You could also go to Concord (Diane from Capadia Designs lives there, I believe). You could go to Salem, down to the Cape (Cape Cod). All of those would be driving trips.
nightnurse Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 10:29:28 PM(UTC)
nightnurse

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 529 time(s) in 357 post(s)
Boston is an incredible city and great to visit any time of year, though Nov is tricky weather-wise. It can be cold, rainy or snowy. It has world-class museums, restaurants and amazing history. The aquarium is lame, though, definitely skip that. It can be expensive for hotels and food and driving is terrible, but the public transport is great. I recommend the Duck Tour, if they are still operating in Nov, and a tour of the USS Constitution. I LOVE the Musuem of Science and eating Italian food in the North End. I also enjoy poking around the shops in Fanueil Hall and walking through the Boston Common. I have done several walking tours at various times of year. The Haunted history one was cool, though that may be just for Halloween. I also enjoyed visiting Revolutionary War era cemetaries. They have a great chocolate tour where you learn some history, see some sites and stop in at various restaurants for chocolate treats. Lots and lots of choices depending on your interest. My 25 year old cousin loves the bars and dance clubs! I am by no means an expert but if you have any specific questions I can try to answer.
DeannaPhipps Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:28:35 AM(UTC)
DeannaPhipps

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Boston is the #1 place. i worked in boston for many years

there should be a number to get travel infomration. i wish i knew it off hand.
tini13 Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:33:11 AM(UTC)
tini13

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I love Boston! I agree November maybe a bit chilly. I really enjoy the aquarium and the since museum. There is also quincy (sp?) market that has great shops and food.
ConstanceShortel Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 6:07:02 AM(UTC)
ConstanceShortel

Was thanked: 1187 time(s) in 856 post(s)
If you walk the Freedom Trail you see most of the Revolutionary War sites. It's a great walk, even in chilly weather.