Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

bthcmbs713ea9c5 Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:09:22 AM(UTC)
bthcmbs713ea9c5

Groups: Registered

I am wanting to cut vinyl to put in a picture frame. Is there a font that I can flip so that it can go on the back side of the glass.
unregistered Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:21:07 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I don't use any of the Cricut software/cartridges so I can't help you with the specifics of flipping/mirror image but...

Have you ever applied vinyl like that? My experiences have not been good. The vinyl does not look that great showing thought the glass. You can see the bubbles under the vinyl, especially if the font has any thickness to it.

I always apply my vinyl to the outside of the glass and it looks great. It is washable too. I use regular glass cleaner and soft cloth. It won't come off easily.

OOPS - edited to clarity - you CAN cut it normally that way.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:28:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KimBess1 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:21:45 PM(UTC)
KimBess1

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Placing vinyl on glass is tricky, especially with thicker letters. Best way is to take a spray bottle with water and just a little dawn dish soap in it. Squirt the glass, then lay the vinyl project on. You will be able to move the vinyl around, get the bubbles out, etc. before it sticks permanently. If there are any bubbles, you can poke them with a pin to reduce their size.

I especially like using vinyl on the underside of glass plates. This allows you to still use the plate for food, not just a decorative item.

Make sure to clean the glass with a non-ammonia cleaner. Ammonia leaves a residue that will reduce adhesion of the vinyl.

As for your question about flipping vinyl letters, I believe the Cricut has a button which will make a mirror image of the design. I don't have my cricut or owners manual handy, so I'm not 100% sure. If using software, it should definitely have that option. The ability of flipping a font is based on the type of software/hardware you have, not on the font itself.
GailHamilton Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 6:20:39 AM(UTC)
GailHamilton

Was thanked: 256 time(s) in 178 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KimBess1 Go to Quoted Post
Placing vinyl on glass is tricky, especially with thicker letters. Best way is to take a spray bottle with water and just a little dawn dish soap in it. Squirt the glass, then lay the vinyl project on. You will be able to move the vinyl around, get the bubbles out, etc. before it sticks permanently. If there are any bubbles, you can poke them with a pin to reduce their size.

I especially like using vinyl on the underside of glass plates. This allows you to still use the plate for food, not just a decorative item.

Make sure to clean the glass with a non-ammonia cleaner. Ammonia leaves a residue that will reduce adhesion of the vinyl.

As for your question about flipping vinyl letters, I believe the Cricut has a button which will make a mirror image of the design. I don't have my cricut or owners manual handy, so I'm not 100% sure. If using software, it should definitely have that option. The ability of flipping a font is based on the type of software/hardware you have, not on the font itself.

GailHamilton Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 6:22:57 AM(UTC)
GailHamilton

Was thanked: 256 time(s) in 178 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bthcmbs713ea9c5 Go to Quoted Post
I am wanting to cut vinyl to put in a picture frame. Is there a font that I can flip so that it can go on the back side of the glass.

Thanks for posting this question! My principal has asked me to cut some lettering out of vinyl for an encased bulletin board by his office. I have NEVER cut out anything in vinyl and am a bit nervous about it. He is a great guy and I want to do a really nice job on the bulletin board for him. BigGrin For those of you that have used vinyl....how do you take it off the mat and apply it to your project (In my case it will be a 5 foot glass panel. I will have to apply it to the inside of the panel so that the kids don't pick the lettering off.)
KimBess1 Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:45:08 AM(UTC)
KimBess1

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
@Gail,

You take it off the mat really carefully. Mats are usually too sticky for the vinyl, so go slow. Your design will have to be a mirror image, and you will need transfer tape to apply it correctly. If you don't have the transfer tape, check out www.cricketvinylsupplies.com.

Make your settings 3, 3, 3, and test it first to make sure it doesn't cut through the wax paper backing of the vinyl. You only want it to slightly score the wax paper. Depending on the age of your blade and condition of your mat, these settings may need to be adjusted.

If your software/machine doesn't have the mirror image option, you can always order it from somewhere like www.vinylletterdecor.com...tom_design_center_matte. They can do anything you want.
unregistered Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 02, 2012 8:06:24 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
I need to try the wet application method again. The last time I tried it ...lets just say DISASTER! LOL!

Gail - you can watch some videos online on cutting and transferring vinyl. Those are SO helpful! I would suggest doing a small project before tackling the larger one. It just helps you get the feel of working with vinyl. Maybe make a pencil jar or a monogrammed vase or cup.

Here is a link to EXPRESSIONS VINYL . THey have some awesome tutorial videos. They also have a slightly better price on 12x12 sheet vinyl. Be sure to sign up for their email - I think you will get a coupon that you could use for an even better discount.

As far as the sticky mats - Kim is SO right! If your mat is new and super sticky - try and remove some of the tackiness of it before laying the vinyl down on it. I blot a clean tshirt on it a few times and that helps. BUT - make sure your mat is sticky enough. You don't want the vinyl sheet moving around. There are some Cricut mats that are too sticky - and some that are not sticky enough. It is frustrating!!!!

I think you can find a wet application vinyl tranfer video on youtube. Like I said - I need to try that again....