Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

debsfitzgerald20e6007f Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:21:24 PM(UTC)
debsfitzgerald20e6007f

Groups: Registered

Was wondering - I am trying to advertise a fundraiser on my vehicle window and can't put the vinyl cutouts inside my vehicle window.

Has anyone used the vinyl outdoors? How does it stand up?
Teresa Turner Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:51:23 PM(UTC)
Teresa Turner

United States

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Yes, even the indoor vinyl will work for short-term use outdoors. I've used indoors for birthday messages on car glasses that were on there several months and still looked good. Go for it! BigGrin
Sherri Kay Online
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:49:43 PM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

United States

Was thanked: 2309 time(s) in 2067 post(s)
I think the indoor vinyl holds up real well outside. I put a design on my outdoor wooden rocker and that was 2 years ago. Still looks just like the day I put it on. I did, however, bring it in during the winter months.
jodidalexanderb1f03b98 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:13:23 AM(UTC)
jodidalexanderb1f03b98

I used the regular indoor vinyl on 2 metal washtubs used as planters outside. Since I knew it would have to withstand sun, rain, watering, etc., I mod-podged over the vinyl and as an extra step, I sealed them with a clear spray coat. They have been outside for months now and are still looking good.
unregistered Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 2:16:10 PM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Oracal 631 is what the Cricut branded vinyl is. It is classified as "indoor" vinyl - but as the others said, it will work fine outdoors also.

I have made some car decals and I have noticed one starting to lift up and peel off. It has been on a rear car window for almost 1 year - and that car sits outdoors 24/7 in Iowa weather - HOT and COLD :)

The Oracal 631 will be easier to remove, it what you are doing is somewhat temporary - so it might be your best choice!!

Oracal 651 is what is classified as "outdoor vinyl". It is quite a bit stickier, and has a glossy finish.

You can order either at several online retailers like Expressions Vinyl, or H&H signs far cheaper than buying "Cricut" vinyl from a craft store - and it is EXACTLY the same stuff.

Everything that I have read recommends not sealing vinyl with anything. There is a pen made that you can go around the edges and seal it better if you want something to stay long term though.
KimBess1 Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2012 6:08:18 PM(UTC)
KimBess1

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The 631 matte vinyl is rated 2 years outdoors from the manufacturer. This depends on how often it is in direct sunlight and the kind of harsh conditions it sees. So, for any short-term signage, the matte vinyl will do just fine. The matte has a water-based adhesive, so over time it will dry out and crack.

The Oracal 651 glossy vinyl is rated 4-6 years outdoors and has a solvent-based adhesive. This type of vinyl is good for longer-term outdoors and on vehicles.

The Oracal 751 glossy vinyl is rated 8-10 years outdoors and also has a solvent-based adhesive. This type is perfect for car stick figure decals and other things you want to keep looking nice for a long time. There is a place online, cricketvinylsupplies, that sells many colors of this type of vinyl.

As for sealers, don't use anything that shrinks as it dries. This would include most sealers. I have found that decoupage glue/modge podge/elmer's glue (good for wood or canvas) works good to keep the vinyl sealed. One of my customers also uses epoxy since it doesn't shrink and has found it works great on smooth fiberglass.

1 user thanked KimBess1 for this useful post.
unregistered on 6/25/2012(UTC)
Debbiecraftsalot Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:27:57 PM(UTC)
Debbiecraftsalot

I did the words Debbie's Garden on a rock outside and even in the hot sun it's still there.