Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

nicolemccaw008a0f47 Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:43:35 AM(UTC)
nicolemccaw008a0f47

Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone,
I have just got my Expression 2 and have been a little frustrated with it. I cant seem to get it to cut thinner paper (such as computer paper, or construction paper). it just tears it.
I purchased the Cricut to use in my classroom, so Im not looking to use tag board with it, as Im trying to use the resources that are at my school.
My second issue is that I cant find a cartridge that just has basic Shapes. Does anyone know the name of one that does shapes? (square, circle, star, octagon etc.)
Thanks for the help.
scrapalette Online
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:17:51 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18419 time(s) in 8186 post(s)
Usually, when the paper is ripping or tearing, there is too much pressure~your Cricut is pressing harder than needed and you may even see cuts into the mat (your mat will show some cutting outlines and wear and tear after lots of use).

The pressure setting is for the amount of force the Cricut puts on the cutting arm (which holds the blade). More pressure or a higher number, means more force is used to push the blade through the media you are cutting. Think of it the same as if you were writing. . .if you press really hard with the pencil, you will not only write but leave indention marks in your paper. Press even harder and the pencil point may break. But if you press lightly, you won't have those problems.

The speed controls how fast the blade is moving. Slower speeds are used when the design you are cutting is more intricate and has lots of sharp turns or tiny cuts. You can use the faster speeds for simpler shapes like circle and squares and such.

The blade numbers are the blade depth. If you look at the blade housing unit, you will see very little of the blade extending. By increasing the blade depth (turning the dial to the higher numbers), you increase the amount of the blade that will extend when cutting making it easier for the Cricut to cleanly cut through your paper or cardstock. For thinner media, use a lower number and for thicker media, use a higher number.

As far as basic shapes, there is a free set of images for anyone that uses Cricut Craft Room called Craft Room Basics. There is also a cart named George and Basic Shapes that has the basics. Other than that, you will find some shapes on most all the carts. Just recently I discovered a whole bunch of shapes on the Once Upon a Princess cart in the Gems layer!

You can search for images in Cricut Craft Room or on mycutsearch.com.

Edited by user Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:20:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked scrapalette for this useful post.
lisa.catt841e80e2 on 10/17/2012(UTC)
virginia_hgtc6799af58 Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:33:58 PM(UTC)
virginia_hgtc6799af58

I was having the same problem. I learned if you change you paper setting to light paper it does a pretty good job. I have the expression 2 machine, My needle is set on 3, Speed3,Pressure3,cut1
almiroty34da075b Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:09:06 PM(UTC)
almiroty34da075b

hi
i an new to this and frustrated with both the e2 and pc! i have been able to cut some very intricate images a simple circle has proven impossible!! imagine that: a simple circle! the first 2 has several jagged edges, did not end when it started and to top it all the top left hand side was scored. i have hardly used the machine. so far i have made 15 cuts using the original mat and blade. could the blade and mat gone bad so quickly? i was told the problem could be the paper. i have no idea the brand i am using. i got it at michael's or ac moore. my choices at home are limited. i live in puerto rico and there are no big craft stores available. even walmart has just 1 aisle of crafts!! no cricut there either. there are several scrabooking stores, but the drive could be as long as 2.5 hours each way.

anyway, i figured that to wet my feet i would follow projects from cricut. i need to make cards to accompany stray dogs shopped out to shelters in the mainland to be adopted and those have to be done fairly soon. the cards include particularities of the dog, what he likes and doesn't like, details for the new owners and some pictures.

this is why the inability to cut a simple circle is killing me. if somebody has an idea i wold love to hear it.

also, what should i use to glue thin pieces like a fence, a cage, etc?

i have been reading the entries and you are all very helpful!! thanks in advanced
gladys