Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Sadie77 Offline
#31 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:10:10 PM(UTC)
Sadie77

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I sang this to my grandchildren, the youngest is 3. Jesus loves the little children....I think it's a great song, I want my grandchildren to know that Jesus does love ALL the children. I also agree with Okee, it's your layout.....Wink
~tallulah~ Offline
#32 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:23:52 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
if this is a layout i will kind of change my opinion and say use it if you want to. i have things in my albums, especially my book of me that is all about my faith and i am sure that there are things others with out those same beliefs/faith may find offensive or not right about it.

our personal albums are what we are and believe and therefore very personal. you should go with your heart.
Hugabug Offline
#33 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:16:01 PM(UTC)
Hugabug

Was thanked: 542 time(s) in 238 post(s)
Well I guess I offended someone by posting the words to that little song. My post has been removed. I didn't think I said anything in there that wasn't said in any other postings. My apology if I did.
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~ Offline
#34 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:23:54 PM(UTC)
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Larkspur wrote:
"Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight." As a child we sang this song all time. But is it OK these days? I have an idea for a card or LO, but, I don't want to be politically incorrect or offend someone. What do you think???

Wow, umm... if it helps any, I grew up singing this song in church. I had to sing and read what you wrote several times before I UNDERSTOOD why you were asking if something in it might be offensive.
(sigh) Oh -- and please notice my avatar! LOL yep... I'm browwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn! LOL or BLACK! LOL
Sorry, I should stop being silly. I'm not teasing YOU so much as I am making fun of how sensitive we have to be as a society. I wouldn't take offense from this at ALL -- because I'm from a different generation. Reading what you typed brought back childhood memories for me.
Because one never knows who will be a part of one's audience (recorded in any fashion) and because everyone is so freakin' lawsuit-happy, if you want to be extra-careful you might consider "...they are precious in his sight..." as a title or cover and leaving it at that.

There are situations wherein we should all be more sensitive. Hopefully all of this takes us someplace "good" .. one day. Oh -- despite my attempt at dry humor I do want to thank you (in all seriousness) for asking the question.

Happy Scrappin'!

Larkspur Offline
#35 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:29:18 PM(UTC)
Larkspur

United States

Was thanked: 2428 time(s) in 1698 post(s)
Quote:
you might consider "...they are precious in his sight..." as a title or cover and leaving it at that.

That is a good idea!
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~ Offline
#36 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:31:17 PM(UTC)
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 57 post(s)
okieladybug wrote:
If it is your layout you are doing and you like the song then what difference does it make what others think?

Somehow, I assumed it was a card or something. I agree. If it's your lo and it's not for public consumption or a competition, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! :)
Go for it! In my time it was an adorable song that kids memorized easily and learned to sing as soon as they could talk!

OMG! Now I have to sing it...

"Jesus loves the little children
... all the children of the worrrrrld!
Red and Yellow, Black and White,
... they are precious in his sight
Jesus loves the little children of the worrrrrld!"

I feel better now.
hmm... I wonder if it has a copyright... [sigh] I could probably be sued now. Sad
NOT!
http://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/j007.html

happy scrappin!
Lguild Offline
#37 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:06:28 PM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
Larkspur wrote:
"Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight." As a child we sang this song all time. But is it OK these days? I have an idea for a card or LO, but, I don't want to be politically incorrect or offend someone. What do you think???

Well, I suppose if you REALLY want to be 100% PC you could alter the lyrics:

Native American and Asian American, African American and Caucasian, they are precious in His sight.

But it sure won't fit the music! LOL LOL LOL

I grew up with this song in Sunday school too. I don't know if they still sing it in Sunday school but if they do I'm sure it would only be in the nursery and maybe kindergarten classes. And little children don't notice the difference in skin color and base their friendships on it.

Use the original song for your card and be proud to use it!
JanaTerpstra Offline
#38 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:19:55 PM(UTC)
JanaTerpstra

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Larkspur wrote:

I personally would never refer to someone as "Red" or "Yellow". If I'm questioning something I side with caution. I never want to be the cause of someone feeling bad about themselves.
Hugabug Offline
#39 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:28:25 PM(UTC)
Hugabug

Was thanked: 542 time(s) in 238 post(s)
Thank you Linda in Colorado! I posted exactly what you posted with the words of the song. For the life of me I don't know why it was removed. I also have hummed this song all day. All those years going to Sunday school must have left an impression!
fontjunkie Offline
#40 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:33:12 PM(UTC)
fontjunkie

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
As someone that has never heard this song and have never heard Asians being called yellow or natives called red I didn't have a clue what you were talking about in the poem. How about " all the lords children are precious in his sight." That is how my grandma said basically the same thing.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:34:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

~tallulah~ Offline
#41 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:36:54 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

i think the point is that she wanted to use that particular existing song and not change the lyrics or anything. so i'm curious now, op what you have decided to do and if you were using it on a card for someone or a personal layout.
NewfyMom Offline
#42 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:58:20 PM(UTC)
NewfyMom

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 126 post(s)
Just for the record most Children ministry programs won't use the song because of the opportunity to offend. I wouldn't want a child to call another yellow or red. I grew up singing the song as well and I love the message but I don't use it in my program. There are too many other songs I could use.

I hear what everyone else is saying and echo, if this is your LO knock yourself out. If it's a card going to someone you don't know well...then I agree with one of the first posts...if you think you shouldn't then you shouldn't.

I really appreciate your desire to not offend.
disneydreamer98 Offline
#43 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:51:37 AM(UTC)
disneydreamer98

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 36 post(s)
We used to sing this all the time in church Sunday school. I do not find it offensive at all...
kaleidoscope Offline
#44 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:22:11 AM(UTC)
kaleidoscope

Was thanked: 350 time(s) in 195 post(s)
Lguild wrote:
Well, I suppose if you REALLY want to be 100% PC you could alter the lyrics:

Native American and Asian American, African American and Caucasian, they are precious in His sight.

And if they're not American? LOL

Personally, I don't care for Native American. If you're born here - you're native! Laugh And I know there's two sides of the fence for African American. Some people do not want to be called that.

Eh... you can't win. Laugh
Lguild Offline
#45 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:16:43 PM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
kaleidoscope wrote:
And if they're not American? LOL

Personally, I don't care for Native American. If you're born here - you're native! Laugh And I know there's two sides of the fence for African American. Some people do not want to be called that.

Eh... you can't win. Laugh

I'm a member of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma and I, too, don't really care for the term "Native American" myself. Smile

No one should ever be subjected to racial slurs. IMHO I was brought up to treat all people with respect no matter what their race, religion or economic status.

HappyScrapper!! Offline
#46 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:21:38 PM(UTC)
HappyScrapper!!

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I really think the song reflects our American culture.
The terms were the ones used when the song was written.
I really think it is the intent of the song you look at which is good.
If your using it on a card from someone of your own generation then it would be probably appreciated.
A younger person of another generation, probably wouldn't apreciate or get the history of the song.
DeborahCar Offline
#47 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:38:34 PM(UTC)
DeborahCar

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 45 post(s)
JamieB wrote:
People like to be offended. I'm convinced of it.

Love it!

I fall under the Red category (Cherokee). I don't find it offensive at all.
unicornsil8235a961 Offline
#48 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:53:48 PM(UTC)
unicornsil8235a961

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 76 post(s)
sorry i never heard that song. maybe for the times its was ok. but do we still here in america the land of free still talk like that. they are children i don't believe GOD sees us as colors only as humans, people. i'm not offened but their has to be something else you could say.Laugh
Coo-Coo Cricut Offline
#49 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:59:41 PM(UTC)
Coo-Coo Cricut

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 286 time(s) in 220 post(s)
I don't find it offensive... Infact, my daughter came home from daycare last week singing this..I too remember singing it as a child. I think it sends the right message...color doesn't matter... Even if you are green with purple Polk-a-dots Love

~Jody
KDG Offline
#50 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:30:17 PM(UTC)
KDG

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)
It's only offensive if you are offended by the color of your skin, therefore my vote is definietly NOT!
Scraptastic Offline
#51 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:41:50 PM(UTC)
Scraptastic

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I don't see anything wrong with it. Its like ring a ring a rosey some say thats wrong and shouldn't be sung in the true format.
PetiteKalashnikovna Offline
#52 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:01:38 AM(UTC)
PetiteKalashnikovna

Was thanked: 204 time(s) in 145 post(s)
I don't find that song offensive at all. I could sneeze and someone is bound to find that "offensive" too. lol!
cjsnana Offline
#53 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:59:47 AM(UTC)
cjsnana

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I don't find it offensive in the least, but there are so many people nowadays who seem to complain about how things are worded, etc. Sometimes it is downright ridiculous! If you want to use the song, use it. It wasn't intended to hurt anyone.
Princessaam Offline
#54 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:17:01 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
As I read the replies, I always wonder how people refer to the people they know. Also, it's a bible based song. So, does that influence whether it's "OK" with you or not? This isn't to start an argument but to dig a little deeper.

We, as a nation, have grown to embrace and segregate at the same time. we still have people check boxes to state their race, but yet "we're all the same" at the same time. It's confusing. We can't all be the same and yet referred to as "Black, White, Red, and Yellow". Ethnic origins shouldn't be referred to by the color or your skin. I am Norwegian, Mexican, and Cerian...not "brown" Colors are for crayons not people. But that's MY Pagan opinion. My kids have never sung this song ( as far as I know), and I would hope they wouldn't be singing it in school at all.

~M
Gigikay Offline
#55 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:26:10 AM(UTC)
Gigikay

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hi
kaleidoscope Offline
#56 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:58:40 AM(UTC)
kaleidoscope

Princessaam wrote:

Ethnic origins shouldn't be referred to by the color or your skin. I am Norwegian, Mexican, and Cerian...not "brown" Colors are for crayons not people.

I just want to point out that ethnicity has nothing to do with physical characteristics (such as skin color). Your physical characteristics are your race. Ethnicity is based on common social behaviors, etc. and culture.

Obama is referred to as black. While that probably has social reasons to it, his physical characteristics point toward being black rather than his mixed race of both black and white. But when people show physical characteristics of more than one race, then they tend to be referred to as biracial as one race may not be much more physically predominant than the other.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with describing someone by their physical characteristics and certain terms provide us with the information to form pictures.

Anyway, I think this is a good discussion. Smile I hope no one is getting offended.
Princessaam Offline
#57 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:10:53 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

True... But we can also use terms like "Lighter" or "Darker". But really? Red and Yellow? Like someone said earlier... Elmo is red ( like a Crayon) and Big Bird is yellow. THEY have colors. And Grover is Blue and Kermit is Green.

I think my favroite story ever is from my son when he was in the second grade describing the new kid David in his class:

He has dark curly hair, really dark skin like Uncle Horace, brown eyes. Super nice kid. Can he come over?

My Hubby's response... you mean the Black kid? ( He was the only Black Child in Class)

The point being: Kids don't label others until we give them the labels to use. So let's stop giving each other labels and just be that super nice kid who wants to come over and play.

~M
~tallulah~ Offline
#58 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:34:42 AM(UTC)
~tallulah~

we still sing this in sunday school class.

i have a friend who is african american. she refers to herself sometimes as brown. and she said this once which really made me think. she said she is PROUD of her color. and as a woman of color it's ok to use that as a descriptor; she IS a woman of color...and her color IS brown.

i think too it is all in the tone, attitude and intent with which we use words that makes them derogatory.

this song was meant to be one of unity not division. and it's my opinion that pretty much everyone knows that. and as such i would think that no one should take offense to it.

it isn't calling anyone names to make them feel bad or to make them feel different but to draw all of us into a cohesive group-a group loved by jesus.

i think we can pick apart most every song, old or new and find offense in some words used. whether we would say a person is red or yellow or white or black or brown in real conversations IMO is NOT the point. the point is these are adjectives that KIDS know and understand when they are 2! this song was written for little kids, not to be used in everyday conversations nor to be divisive.

i think, op, that though your question is a good one borne from a good heart, it is truly a song with which no one should have a problem.

oh, i'm curious as to the ring around the rosey song now!!!! BigGrin

Edited by user Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:35:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kaleidoscope Offline
#59 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:39:45 AM(UTC)
kaleidoscope

Well, I would say technically 'dark, curly-haired kid' is a label. Laugh What if you're albino? Then just about anyone is 'darker' than you. Laugh I could also ask why is he describing the kid in physical terms at all versus saying "there's this new kid in class and he's super nice. We both like ----. He sits next to me in class..." etc, etc?

I don't hear people referred to as red or yellow. (Maybe only in books - otherwise I don't recall ever having heard it.) Only Indian or Asian (or oriental - which I've heard is offensive because oriental is things like rugs, not people.) Unless you count 'rednecks'. LOL
Princessaam Offline
#60 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:41:54 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Ring around the Rosey was about the Black Plague and the only safe way to dispose of the dead was to burn the bodies to ashes. ( This is only an interpretation and not the Sure fire answer)

I guess for ME... a 2 year old isn't going to know anyone needs to be classified. Put twenty 2- year olds in a room of all races and creeds. Watch carefully... they will all play together and notice each others differences but never say more than "Why is your hair curly? Mines not" that answer is generally " I don't know" and then they get on to playing.

~M