Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

annemariemain97960718 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:27:02 PM(UTC)
annemariemain97960718

Groups: Registered

Sad I purchased my Cricut Cake the first day it was out on QVC. I have tried many times to get this thing to work and I am having NO luck! I take that back...ONE time I was able to cut cheese and a fruit rollup, BUT THAT ISN"T WHY I SPENT ALL THAT MONEY;I want to make CAKES! I have tried the sheets,I have taken a class, made my own gumpaste, used store bought. I have tried freezing the sheets, drying them out a bit and even using fresh... Each time it rips!

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Could it be my blade??

Anne-Marie

Edited by user Saturday, February 18, 2012 1:00:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mriser74c0b445 Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 10:29:08 AM(UTC)
mriser74c0b445

I want to know what ever you find out about making it work better
teresabruner5115d68f Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:09:49 AM(UTC)
teresabruner5115d68f

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are soooo not alone. In the beginning, I struggled with it as well, but after playing with it, am now having success. I did read on one of the blogs, that some of the "carriers" were off, so it's real hard to say what might be happening with you. I just know others are having the same problem.

I can tell you a little about what works for me. And I hope it helps you and others that might be struggling as well. If it is a carrier problem, not set right, I've heard that they will take it back. One lady told me that they were very accomodating. The only number I have is 877-CRICUT.

1)I use Crisco to "glue" parchment paper to my mat, then I brush a very light amount of shortening over that, so that nothing moves or shifts while cutting.

2)I adjusted the pressure to low and speed to medium. I does not cut intricate details well, no matter what, unless you cut the item a bit larger.

3)For fondant or gum paste, I found air drying for awhile to help, to where it feels a bit like paper to the touch, but not too dry. But if it's too sticky, I have frozen it, but doesn't seem to cut as well.

4)I use my Wilton rolling pen using the pink guides or blue guides for the large roller.

For cookie dough, I used the large rolling pen with orange guides, but it can't be any thicker than that or it will not cut, and I freeze my cookie dough on the mats for at least 30 minutes. If it's too soft, it will tear, and if it's too frozen it will not cut well either.

I admit, it is so tricky to work with.

I hope this helps.

Teresa
ps you can see my work on my Facebook if you want, they are all public. I'm Teresa Lynn Bruner.

Edited by user Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:12:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

pinkEscrapper Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 3:49:07 PM(UTC)
pinkEscrapper

United States

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 81 post(s)
I was thinking about buying the Cricut cake, this doesn't sound good. I guess you have to keep trying?
#5 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 6:31:13 PM(UTC)
teresabruner5115d68f

One more thing crossed my mind. You mentioned about the blade, you do have to rinse your blade often because the sugar crystals form on it, and than can make cutting difficult.

When I got mine, I took about 3 or 4 whole days of doing nothing else, but trying to figure out how to cut snowflakes. I was getting very discouraged, because as you said, they were tearing and had jagged edges and looked terrible. But had seen what others had done with theirs and was determined to keep trying.

I just kept at it, playing till I found what worked for me, now it's actually fun to use.

Best wishes,
Teresa

Edited by user Monday, February 27, 2012 6:41:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: To add comment

#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:22:32 AM(UTC)
teresabruner5115d68f

I found this link on Pinterest. By Linda McClure- Several Videos for helping with the Cricut Cake.
http://www.thecakerator....o-use-for-that-darn.html

Teresa

Edited by user Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:10:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: To site the source of the link, by Linda McClure

Mercy Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:36:18 AM(UTC)
Mercy

Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
In addition to what has been stated, room temperature matters a lot with the different mediums so the cooler your room is the better. In addition, there are tips throughout the below thread with lots of tips from PC, professional bakers that use the Cake as well as from different members experiences.

http://main.cricut.com/c...75_TIPS-and-RECIPES.aspx
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:56:30 AM(UTC)
teresabruner5115d68f

Originally Posted by: annemariemain97960718 Go to Quoted Post
Sad I purchased my Cricut Cake the first day it was out on QVC. I have tried many times to get this thing to work and I am having NO luck! I take that back...ONE time I was able to cut cheese and a fruit rollup, BUT THAT ISN"T WHY I SPENT ALL THAT MONEY;I want to make CAKES! I have tried the sheets,I have taken a class, made my own gumpaste, used store bought. I have tried freezing the sheets, drying them out a bit and even using fresh... Each time it rips!

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Could it be my blade??

Anne-Marie

Have you had any success yet? I was just wondering if things are going better for you with your Cricut.

Teresa
PS. One of the tips the Cakerator has on her blog site, under comments section regarding her Cricut.

copy and pasted quote (I have yet to try this, but plan on trying this).

The Cakerator
"I don't like the cricut cake blade it's too big, I have been using the deep cut blade with the blue housing, which can also cut paper, and I brought mines at Michael's for about $14. Good Advise."