Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

JulieWesterfield Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 6:46:52 AM(UTC)
JulieWesterfield

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I am thinking about buying a used Gypsy from someone and was wondering if anyone else had ever bought one and did they have any problems with it. She is going to call PC to see what it takes to un-link her cartridges. I guess my concern is will I be able to link my cartridges to it after she has un-linked hers?

Julie
ladybugstamper Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 9:52:23 AM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 245 post(s)
Hi!
As per the agreement we all agreed to when we linked our cartridges to our Gypsy, this process is not reversible. Cartridges can not be unlinked.

That means the lady you wish to purchase a used Gypsy to must sell you the Gypsy and all the linked cartridges (the actual physical cartridge).

This has been a reason some people prefer not to have a Gypsy, the fact that you can't link and unlink. This is probably to keep people from sharing cartridges, you know, one purchase but linked to multiple Gypsies.

The only thing that can be done is for those who have broken Gypsies, these are handled by Provo Craft. The owner sends the broken and the new Gypsy to PC and they re-serialize the new Gypsy to that of the old Gypsy, and then you can relink your cartridges.

Hope this helps.
 2 users thanked ladybugstamper for this useful post.
suzqucrafter21 on 9/20/2010(UTC), JulieWesterfield on 9/20/2010(UTC)
JulieWesterfield Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 10:11:54 AM(UTC)
JulieWesterfield

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Thanks for the information. I had heard that same thing, but then I also heard that you can un-link the cartridges from the Gypsy too so now I am really confused. I think I am going to call PC to find out for certain before I send off the money. It may be more beneficial to just buy a new one instead.

Thanks again.

Julie
~tallulah~ Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 12:30:26 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
yes there was a thread on here about someone giving directions to unlink the carts from a g. she said that you can't link the carts to another g though...i don't remember if she said whether you can link any of the same carts (only different actual cartridges) to the g. i mean like if she had storybook linked and unlinked it and you have storybook (but your own cart not hers) i don't know if you can link yours. i would think so since the serial numbers are different but i'm not sure at all.
TheBugBytes Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 1:36:57 PM(UTC)
TheBugBytes

Was thanked: 1539 time(s) in 876 post(s)
JulieWesterfield wrote:
I am thinking about buying a used Gypsy from someone and was wondering if anyone else had ever bought one and did they have any problems with it. She is going to call PC to see what it takes to un-link her cartridges. I guess my concern is will I be able to link my cartridges to it after she has un-linked hers?

Julie

Only ones that can unlink are PC . Safer if you Call them. She should sell you the cartridges with the gypsy.
I d not know if troubleshoot option 3 will allow you to link new cartridges. It might but better be safer than sorry before buying. Also you should be aware that there is no guarantee for used gypsy. It elapses. So since the price of gypsy has gone down so much it would be a better option to think about new gypsy in case any problems arise

Edited by user Monday, September 20, 2010 1:41:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bethdoc Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:42:02 AM(UTC)
bethdoc

United States

Was thanked: 1184 time(s) in 798 post(s)
If you have duplicate carts, maybe she can give the ones that are linked and you give her the unlinked ones. IMO, unless you are getting an amazing deal (like ,<$50), I would just buy a new one, you can get them for good prices (around $100), it would include a 1 year warranty (which many people were quite happy for with some of its problems), and then you dont' have to worry about any of the above. It would not be worth the hassle to me personally.
I do not think PC will unlink the gypsy for you. The agreement says it is permanent.
farmscraps Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 1:44:18 PM(UTC)
farmscraps

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 249 post(s)
The price has come way down on the G. I would suggest you buy a new one. That way you still have a 1 year warranty. It will be interesting to see what PC says..Good luck.
angieknecht Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 5:41:51 AM(UTC)
angieknecht

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 79 post(s)
thanks for this info I just saw one on craigslist and was curious.I understand the whole not wanting multiple people to share one cart but still there`s alot of problems with that.This is why i will not own a Gypsy.