Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Diannatheduck Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:16:36 AM(UTC)
Diannatheduck

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I get to do the showcase for my DD school. I am trying to come up with Ideas for the Halloween one. Any Thoughts?
MrsValerie Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:19:10 PM(UTC)
MrsValerie

United States

Was thanked: 316 time(s) in 183 post(s)
Showcase meaning the glass case at the entrance? How fun! Is it specifically Halloween? Depending on your school system (and the religious and cultural differences of your student population) you might choose to tone it down a bit (no witches, vampires, etc) or you might go all out!...

Anyway, here are some of my favorites...

Fall/pumpkin patches (leaves, favorite fall books, scarves; if you have shelves you could put some sort of 3-D crafts students have made)

Skeletons (x-rays, "bones," books about bones/skeletal system, maybe have a black background with glow-in-the-dark stuff) <--- Kids LOVE this!!! I purchased some x-rays from Smilemakers that I like to put up in the windows... but you might be able to go to a local hospital and get some for free.

There are these books called "I'll Read to You, You Read to Me" and I love their "spooky" halloween edition. (Sorry, I keep going back to books... I love children's books!). Anyway, you could post several of the poems from the book (or any halloween poems, really) in different sections and have a few "characters" (paperdolls cart is sooo cute for this!) and maybe stuffed animals around to decorate. The poems are NOT scary at all and appropriate for all age levels.

And I've never done this- but another idea would be to make it all candy oriented... cut outs of different types of candy, have candy wrappers, a few fun facts about candy (how much chocolate is produced each year, etc.), and yes, there are (of course) books about candy.

Good luck with this! I'd LOVE to see what you end up doing!!!
gcmcevoy Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:34:21 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
You could also do a Trick or Treat Safety board with things like don't go to strangers homes (use a haunted house) , don't eat candy until your parents check it ....
 1 user thanked gcmcevoy for this useful post.
deardebbied on 9/29/2010(UTC)
sotomorrow Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 10:11:55 AM(UTC)
sotomorrow

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 5 post(s)
MrsValerie wrote:

There are these books called "I'll Read to You, You Read to Me" and I love their "spooky" halloween edition. (Sorry, I keep going back to books... I love children's books!). Anyway, you could post several of the poems from the book (or any halloween poems, really) in different sections and have a few "characters" (paperdolls cart is sooo cute for this!) and maybe stuffed animals around to decorate. The poems are NOT scary at all and appropriate for all age levels.

I am a Children's Librarian and I use those wonderful books all the time. Coincidentally, the Halloween was on my desk already when I read your post! We'll be using at least one or maybe more as a fun little introduction to our Halloween Puppet Show, The Princess & The Pumpkin.
PamelaMcDonald Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:03:15 AM(UTC)
PamelaMcDonald

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We use the bulletin board titles "Too Cute Too Spook" with mosaic pumpkins and the student's photographs.
We also use "Batty About Math" to showcase some math work.
MelanieMcDonald1 Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 12:10:20 PM(UTC)
MelanieMcDonald1

Have each student in her class make a torn paper pumpkin and decorate with those and the saying "People are like Jack O Lanterns, No two are the same."

For the pumpkins, have each student draw a pumpkin shape freehand on a piece of white cardstock, and then cut it out. Tear small pieces of orange construction paper and glue to the pumpkin to cover it, add a stem and tear out black pieces to add jack o lantern features.

Just an idea, oh, and of course, use your cricut to cut out the letters and a few other decorations to pull it all together.

Melanie