Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

TrudiMagoon Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:09:02 PM(UTC)
TrudiMagoon

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I bought the Expression 3 years ago. I am not big into scrapbooking...though this would help; but apparently not...lol. My main reason was to use the other software with it; but now you cannot (glad I didn't buy it).
It was gathering dust and I needed to remodel bathroom so I sold it and my cartridges this spring.
Well a bunch of bridal showers popped up this year and I thought it would have been nice to make some etched casserole dishes. No Cricut!
I hated the fact you had to spend a lot of money on a cartridge and you may use only a few of the images.
With the mini, do you need cartridges or will there be a library that you can purchase individual images to use? Does the mini come with a few images already? An alphabet? If so, I probably will be enticed to purchase the mini.
Thanks,
TrudiMagoon Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2011 11:04:21 AM(UTC)
TrudiMagoon

No one?
CricketCMV Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2011 2:43:45 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
Are you familiar with Cricut CraftRoom (CCR)? It's the new FREE online tool from ProvoCraft. If you only want to buy single images/fonts from time-to-time, that would probably be the way to go. You download the images you want to buy to cricut.com and they are at your disposal (when you purchase them) at all times in Cricut CraftRoom.

The new MINI (I bought it and I do love it) that was on HSN a few weeks ago came with several freebies: 3D Ornaments, $25 Gift Card to buy images that are now for sale on cricut.com AND CRICUT Font and Basic Shapes. (You can view these by going to cricut.com and clicking on the CRAFTROOM tab at the top and then when that screen comes up, click ENTER. This is an online tool available to anyone who clicks on it to PLAY and CREATE ONLY (you cannot CUT from CCR unless you want to click on the other tabs in CraftRoom that say PC or MAC that actually downloads AND installs a program to your computer that actually allows you to CUT--of course you can only CUT from cartridges you own).

Once you get the CCR up to play/create only, you enter by putting in the same password you use to get into the MB at cricut.com. When you get there, go to the IMAGES at the bottom and in the FILTER, you will see CRICUT CRAFTROOM BASICS. That is a cartridge PC has allowed EVERYONE to use (if you were to install CCR to your computer for CUTTING). YOU CAN CREATE/PLAY WITH ALL THE CARTRIDGES IN ANY WAY YOU WANT TO; you will not be able to CUT.

What else would you like to know?

Char
lisagray35393198bf Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:09:15 PM(UTC)
lisagray35393198bf

Char,

I need help!!!!!!!!!!!! I purchased the mini, basically bought it to do vinyl lettering and dots for crafts. Beginning to think it was not a good idea. The main font i use is the Curlz font, but I can't find it. Also I don't know how to do dots. I am so new at this and feel so confused. Please help!!

:Lisa
CricketCMV Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 11:36:42 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: TrudiMagoon Go to Quoted Post
I bought the Expression 3 years ago. I am not big into scrapbooking...though this would help; but apparently not...lol. My main reason was to use the other software with it; but now you cannot (glad I didn't buy it).
It was gathering dust and I needed to remodel bathroom so I sold it and my cartridges this spring.
Well a bunch of bridal showers popped up this year and I thought it would have been nice to make some etched casserole dishes. No Cricut!
I hated the fact you had to spend a lot of money on a cartridge and you may use only a few of the images.
With the mini, do you need cartridges or will there be a library that you can purchase individual images to use? Does the mini come with a few images already? An alphabet? If so, I probably will be enticed to purchase the mini.
Thanks,

You can use any machine with Cricut CraftRoom (CCR). It doesn't just have to be the MINI. The MINI does not provide for overlays or buttons (other than on/off and insert mat and a lever to adjust settings); the only way you can use the MINI is with CCR--it does not work as a stand-alone machine.

YES, you can buy images to download to your computer into CCR that you download to your computer. YOU can CREATE and PLAY online (without downloading to your computer) by going to cricut.com and clicking on the CraftRoom tab and selecting ENTER (a green tab that has ENTER written on it). It will look like it's downloading to your computer, but it's not. It will look like this every time you go into it. THERE, you can start creating projects, so that when you buy a machine, they will be ready for you to use.

Right now, we an ALL go to Cricut Craft Room Basics--a digital that PC is letting anyone who wants to try it use it for FREE (in the library in CCR) and CREATE on the online version and SAVE our projects. ALSO, we can CREATE AND CUT if we have PC machines to use on our computers and have downloaded the software to our computers. To be able to CUT, you do have to actually download by going to cricut.com and clicking on the appropriate tab "PC" or "MAC" to get the download on our computers. After the CCR download finishes, another screen should pop up to install ADOBE AIR. Adobe Air is also needed for CCR to work properly. Be sure you select the Craft Room Basics. There's another similar one called CCR Fonts and Basics, I think--not sure what it's called. IN ALL OF THIS, YOU DO HAVE TO OWN THE CART TO BE ABLE TO CUT; or YOU DO HAVE TO BUY THE IMAGES ONLINE TO BE DOWNLOADED TO your specific CCR files. AGAIN, the Cricut Craft Room Basics is there right now for all of us to use.

You can view the various images that PC has up for sale right now in CCR or at cricut.com (shopping and select didgital downloads). You would have to have CCR downloaded to your computer, of course, to be able to receive them.

Char

TrudiMagoon Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:09:59 PM(UTC)
TrudiMagoon

Thank you Char!
 1 user thanked TrudiMagoon for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 12/13/2011(UTC)
gramdinah2bf73ea3 Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:21:29 PM(UTC)
gramdinah2bf73ea3

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am a newbie and know next to nothing. However, I have not been able to download an individual font or image from a cartridge. Other than the basics that are open for use in CCR, the only digital downloads I have been able to get are the ones sold in in the CCR Exclusives. For example, I would love a font that is on Elegant Cakes, but I can't get it without purchasing the whole cartridge. From what I gather the digital download of a cartridge is about $10 or so less than purchasing the actual cartridge (at least the ones I've seen). I am still trying to figure out all of this so I may be misunderstanding.
CricketCMV Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:16:05 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: gramdinah2bf73ea3 Go to Quoted Post
I am a newbie and know next to nothing. However, I have not been able to download an individual font or image from a cartridge. Other than the basics that are open for use in CCR, the only digital downloads I have been able to get are the ones sold in in the CCR Exclusives. For example, I would love a font that is on Elegant Cakes, but I can't get it without purchasing the whole cartridge. From what I gather the digital download of a cartridge is about $10 or so less than purchasing the actual cartridge (at least the ones I've seen). I am still trying to figure out all of this so I may be misunderstanding.

You're right, gramdinah! You have to either OWN the CARTRIDGE, or you have to buy the downloads. Except for Craft Room Basics which is FREE for everyone to create and cut with who owns a PC machine and has CCR downloaded to their computer. At this point, PC is not giving us the best pricing on their digital images......at least, that's my assessment. I don't know if I'll ever buy the digitals as long as they are priced the way they are. Even though we are paying for them when we choose do buy digital, they aren't anything that we can ever recoup any amount of $$$$ we've paid for them. They will only be available online to use (anywhere in the country; maybe even the world) when we're on one of the two computers we're allowed to use CCR on at any one time. We will never be able to sell them to anyone else like we can our cartridges, if at some point we know we don't need/want specific ones any more and are willing to part with them to someone who can use them.

You can't download individual fonts or images from all the cartridges in CCR; you can only buy digitals through cricut.com. Once you buy them, you will be given instructions how to get them to your downloaded CCR on your computer. At least that's what I understand, AND just maybe I may be misunderstanding.

Char

JudiLuvz2CutPaper Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:41:22 AM(UTC)
JudiLuvz2CutPaper

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1213 time(s) in 684 post(s)
There are CCR Exclusives which range in price from $4.99 to $14.99. These are smaller groupings of images. I haven't seen a way to purchase one image at a time. Be careful, because, although these will transfer to your Gypsy, only a few of the sets were in the last Gypsy update, and you will have to wait until the next (which may occur right around the time hell freezes over) to get them on-but they WILL be available on CCR.

A lot of the older carts are available to purchase digitally, but the price is so high, its driving up some of the "buy it now" pricing on eBay.

CCR, for me, works great with the Mini (except for having to constantly plug my cart in), and it works DECENT with my AE2, (again, plugging the physical cart in), but it's a frustrating NIGHTMARE with my Imagine. I stopped trying because I spent more time troubleshooting problems with the Imagine than having fun creating.

And hey, if PC would give me the ability to dl digi versions of the carts I already own and say $100 credit in digi carts, to make up for the money I spent on my Gypsy, I'd consider using it exclusively with my Mini and AE2-but not with my Imagine, but I'm sure with the way PC is not into making their customers happy, that won't happen.