Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

LizEmerick Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 5:56:44 PM(UTC)
LizEmerick

Groups: Registered

I am new to all this, and am trying like heck to figure out the ladybug layering in the birthday bash cartridge. I don't understand all the cut outs. I'm sure it is easy, but please help me!
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 6:17:11 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12277 time(s) in 4981 post(s)
The first cut is the black one that will be on the bottom. <Ladybug>

The next cut is the light pink. It will be placed on top of the black layer. Main key with shift <Ladybg-s>

The next cut is the red. It will be placed on top of light pink. press the layer 1 key

The next cut is the orange squiggle. Save it to go on top of the '4'. press shift and the layer 1 key

The next cut is the '4'. press layer 2 (it goes to the left of the ladybug-- weird that it is not also cut in black but just glue to legs.

The final cut is the green box that is the bottom of the '4'. press shift and layer 2

I don't know if that helps. I tried to include everything I think of. If this doesn't answer it, just shout out and will try to look at it again.
 2 users thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
Narelle on 4/11/2011(UTC), Gramjak on 4/11/2011(UTC)
LizEmerick Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 7:40:08 PM(UTC)
LizEmerick

I get the lady bug layering, it i the other stuff, the phrasing and the present tower? Is that done in different colors? what are the all the cuts on the card tag, the little ones? I THINK I understand the present tower, but where does all that other stuff go? And does the "Happy Birthday Little lady"go on top of the solid black piece next to it? I think I got that. Thank you so much for your help. I could not find any project ideas for this one.
#4 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 7:50:34 PM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: LizEmerick Go to Quoted Post
I get the lady bug layering, it i the other stuff, the phrasing and the present tower? Is that done in different colors? what are the all the cuts on the card tag, the little ones? I THINK I understand the present tower, but where does all that other stuff go? And does the "Happy Birthday Little lady"go on top of the solid black piece next to it? I think I got that. Thank you so much for your help. I could not find any project ideas for this one.

Oh, sorry! I just assumed it was the layering that was confusing.

OK- looking at the book, the phrase is two colors. I would make it red since the lady bug body back is with it. That is the shift. That is the actual words too.

The shadow for the phrase is 'phrase' button without the shift and I would make it black since that is the whole body, and with the lettering, you will get a red body with black dots/head.

For the card/tag, I would make the packages red and the shift black since the dots are there. These colors are just because I like the traditional red/black ladybug. The cuts on the card/tag are the bows, ribbon and dots for the packages.

edited to add picture:

ok- I thought it would be easier to see it cut:

hope that helps-- sloppy job and not even really red but I hope that makes sense. I did use a pen to separate the boxes on the tag. There is a hole built in for a little piece of ribbon to attach to a package. I cut them both at 3" BTW.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:59:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LizEmerick Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:44:43 AM(UTC)
LizEmerick

BigGrin Thank you!!! That's it! It makes more sense in the 2 colors. Is there a secret to holding on to all those little pieces? Placing them is a bit tedious, is there a secret to that? and do you use glue or sticky dots to adhere the small parts? You are awesome! I can't wait to get started! I guess it would work in other colors too, but I like the red and black too. So if I used a dark color for the parts that are black, and a lighter color for the gray areas, that would work too, right? If I didn't want to use black?
ConstanceShortel Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:43:02 AM(UTC)
ConstanceShortel

Was thanked: 1187 time(s) in 856 post(s)
I use my Zig pen for the little tiny stuff like this.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:53:51 AM(UTC)

United States

BigGrin Thank you!!! That's it! It makes more sense in the 2 colors. Is there a secret to holding on to all those little pieces? Placing them is a bit tedious, is there a secret to that? and do you use glue or sticky dots to adhere the small parts? You are awesome! I can't wait to get started! I guess it would work in other colors too, but I like the red and black too. So if I used a dark color for the parts that are black, and a lighter color for the gray areas, that would work too, right? If I didn't want to use black?

Well, that's the beauty of this! You get to choose any colors/papers/patterns you want. You can even cut out the words twice in two different colors and cut apart a word to add more colors if you want -- that's what makes this stuff so much fun!

I use Scotch Scrapbooker's Glue with 2-way applicator for all my layering. I used little tiny dots of it with the small applicator end -- if the dots look too big, I dab them on a notebook page I keep handy just for that reason before applying to my project. I didn't pop anything up on this, but you could.

Have fun - no rules.

I cut just the parts I wanted from each of the two colors. The rest is discarded. Hope that makes sense.
LizEmerick Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:03:21 PM(UTC)
LizEmerick

ok next question....the paper I have has a white edge when cut. Does all paper? How do you clean up the edges? Ink? it does not always match. Is there better paper out there? Sometimes the blade scratches the surface when it goes across the image for another cut. Do i have the blade too low? I had it on 4. I am enjoying this, but need to work out the kinks. Is a cuttlebug worth the money? I was looking at them today.
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:28:40 PM(UTC)

United States

ok next question....the paper I have has a white edge when cut. Does all paper? How do you clean up the edges? Ink? it does not always match. Is there better paper out there? Sometimes the blade scratches the surface when it goes across the image for another cut. Do i have the blade too low? I had it on 4. I am enjoying this, but need to work out the kinks. Is a cuttlebug worth the money? I was looking at them today.

No, some paper has a white core and some is colored all the way through. I have an Imagine so I actually print the color on white textured cardstock. That is what I have done here. When I am needing to hide a white edge (which isn't on every cut and on none of the samples here), I ink the edges. I usually don't match the paper-- sometimes I do if the edge is distracting, but sometimes I want to emphasize the edge so I use a contrasting ink color. I use dobbers and foam applicators that look like eyeshadow applicators. There are lots of qualitites of paper -- prices can really vary. Honestly, I don't spend much on paper. As long as it is acid free, has the color/texture that I want, and the thickness that I need, I go with it. Right now, on my Imagine, I am using paper from Walmart of all places that is $5 for a pack of 40 sheets. You are welcome to check out my project gallery to see some of what I do with cheap paper. BigGrin Click here for a link.

The blade scratching the surface is not normal at any setting. Is your mat curling at all? I would bet not since it sounds like you are a new owner, but when my mat gets old, sometimes the edges curl and I get the surface scratched. Check that first-- might just need a new mat. Other than that, someone else might have some ideas. I really don't know. One other thing, you might take the blade housing out and take out the blade and re-set it, making sure it is in correctly. That's the only other thing I would suggest off the top of my head.

Ahhhh... Cuttlebug. Yes, it is definitely worth the money!!! First of all, it is just perfect for adding texture to your die cuts. But that is not all! You need to check out videos by Nilda to see how you can apply glitter, rub-ons, she even adds texture to acetate. Here is her video on setting flocking powder. Like all things Cricut-- get it cheap because you will want lots of embossing folders to go with it. I think I got my Cuttlebug at Michael's with a 40% off coupon and it was around $35. To me, that was a price worth trying and I really like it. I found the best price on folders at ohmycrafts.com and bought a bunch, but the ones I use the most are Swiss Dot and a swirly one. You can use all kinds of other brands of folders and Provocraft has published a guide (here is a link to that) so you know which plates to use with them so you can use them all.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:40:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified