Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
DeltaScrapper Offline
#31 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:30:58 PM(UTC)
DeltaScrapper

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 471 time(s) in 216 post(s)
This is info is really going to help me. My mom is on her way over so we can learn the cake machine together. We are also taking the Free Cake Class with Jinger. We are super excited!
Mercy Offline
#32 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:50:25 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
You're welcome and we are glad we were able to help. Trust us! We were in your shoes so we do know how you feel! lol
 1 user thanked Mercy for this useful post.
SharonCallis on 3/31/2011(UTC)
Mercy Offline
#33 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:55:42 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Recipes

Jinger's Class Instructions

Jinger rolled the cookie dough to an 1/8 of an inch thick and layered more than one layer of cookie dough on top of one another before you bake the cookies. You determine how many layers to add as that will decide the thickness of the cookie.

Bunny Cookies

Create these adorable cookies for the Easter season!

Materials:
Cricut Cake® Personal Electronic Cutter
Cricut Cake® Holiday Cakes cartridge
Sugar cookie dough
Gel food coloring: brown, pink
Gum paste glue (see recipe)
Gum paste: white
Small sugar brush
Pastry brush
White shortening
Sanding sugar

Instructions:

1.Roll cookie dough on mat. Place it in the freezer to stiffen the dough.

2.Cut cookies. Using Holiday Cakes cartridge and prepared cookie dough, select Plain Shadow feature and cut as many 3 ¾" <Easter5> as desired.

3.Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees. (If you want a thicker cookie, stack one cookie on top of the other before baking. Baking time may increase 1 to 2 minutes.) Let cookies cool.

4.Prepare gum paste. Color half of gum paste brown and the other half pink. Grease cutting mat. Roll gum paste onto mat so it is 1/8" thick. Remove excess gum paste from mat. Place mat in freezer to stiffen gum paste.

5.Cut gum paste. Using brown gum paste, cut as many 3 ½" <Easter5> as desired. Using pink gum paste, press Shift and cut as many 3 ½" <Eastr5-s> as desired.

6.Adhere pink cuts on brown cuts using gum paste glue. Place on top of baked cookies. Brush top of cookies with gum paste glue. Sprinkle sanding sugar on top of each bunny. Shake off excess sugar.
Flower Cupcakes
Make your cupcakes stand out with this beautiful design!

Materials:
Cricut Cake® Cake Basics cartridge
Gel food coloring: green, pink, purple
White shortening
Powered sugar
Small cupcakes
Small spoon
Butter knife
Pastry brush
Sponge

Instructions:

1.Separate gum paste into four pieces. Color one piece pink, one purple, and one green. Leave the remaining piece white. Grease cutting mats. Roll gum paste onto mats to 1/8" thick. Remove excess gum paste. Place in freezer to stiffen gum paste.

2.Cut large flower. Using Cake Basics cartridge and pink gum paste, select Plain Shadow Blackout feature and cut as many 2 ½" <Flower1> as needed. Let dry.

3.Cut leaves. Using green gum paste, select Plain Shadow Blackout feature and cut as many 1" <Leaf5> as needed. To shape leaf, place on sponge. Dip knife into powered sugar and press the center of the petal with the blunt side of the knife. Place petal against side of a plastic container to keep shape. Let dry completely (3 to 4 hours).

4.Cut medium flower. Using white gum paste, select Plain Shadow Blackout feature, press Shift, and cut as many 1 ½" <Flower6> as needed. To shape flower, place flower on sponge and curl leaves using a small spoon. Place flower on a rounded shape form (such as a plastic egg). Let dry.

5.Cut small flower. Using purple gum paste, select Plain Shadow Blackout feature and cut as many ½" <Flower1> as needed. To shape flower, place flower on sponge and gently press the end of a rounded brush on the center of the flower. Let dry.

6.After all pieces are dry, use gum paste glue to adhere pieces together as shown.

Daisy Cake

This beautiful cake is perfect for any spring occasion!

Materials:
Cricut Cake® Cake Basics cartridge
8" Round cake
Gel food coloring: blue, yellow
Frosting: white
Powdered sugar
White shortening
Sugar pearls
Pastry brush
Spatula knife
Butter knife
Toothpick
Plastic wrap
Sponge

Instructions:

1.Prepare gum paste. Color a small portion of gum paste yellow for daisy centers. Place in plastic wrap and set aside.

2.Grease cutting mat. Roll white gum paste 1/8" thick onto cutting mat. Remove excess gum paste. Place in freezer to stiffen gum paste.

3.Cut daisy blackouts. Using Cake Basics cartridge and white gum paste, select Plain Shadow Blackout feature, press Shift, and cut one 6" <Flower7>. Using white gum paste, select Plain Shadow Blackout feature, press Shift, and cut eight 2 ½" <Flower7>. Remove excess gum paste from mat. Let dry.

4.Cut daisy petals. Using white gum paste, press Shift and cut one 6" <Flower7>. Using white gum paste, press Shift and cut eight 2 ½" <Flower7>. To shape petals, place petals on sponge one at a time. Dip knife into powdered sugar and press the center of the petal with the blunt side of the knife. Place petals against side of a plastic container to keep shape. Let dry completely (3 to 4 hours).

5.Assemble daisies. Place a small amount of gum paste glue on the center back side of petals. Place on blackouts as shown. Take a small amount of yellow gum paste and roll into a ball. Slightly flatten ball to form daisy center. Stick toothpick into gum paste to create a textured center. Adhere to center of daisies.

6.Add blue food coloring to white frosting. Frost cake. When daisies are completely dry, place large daisy on top of cake. Place small daisies around the sides. Embellish with sugar pearls as desired.

Edited by user Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:19:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked Mercy for this useful post.
SharonCallis on 3/31/2011(UTC), redrosenj99 on 4/16/2011(UTC)
Mercy Offline
#34 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:10:41 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Recipe

Carrie Bigger’s Cream Cheese Buttercream Recipe
Cricut.com

•1 lb. cream cheese
•8 ounces butter
•1 lb high ratio shortening
•1 tsp salt
•1 Tbsp flavoring (cream bouquet, vanilla, or almond)
•4 lbs powdered sugar (more or less)

Whip shortening until light and fluffy, add cream cheese and butter, whip. Add salt and flavorings. Slowly add powdered sugar to desired spreading consistency.

Icing Recipe
Cricut.com

Ingredients:

3 cups of powdered sugar
5 TBSP of water
3 drops of lemon or vanilla extract
3 oz. of egg whites (about 4 eggs)

Directions

In a mixer add egg whites to vanilla/lemon extract with water and mix until whipped to a foamy consistency. Add powdered sugar and mix until shiny. Increase mixer speed until icing creates peaks. (About 5 minutes). If desired add food coloring to create different colors. Store in container in refrigerator.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:16:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked Mercy for this useful post.
SharonCallis on 3/31/2011(UTC), redrosenj99 on 4/16/2011(UTC)
SharonCallis Offline
#35 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:41:30 PM(UTC)
SharonCallis

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Wow

Thanks so much for all the information. I dont have a cricut cake (yet) but i have learnd so much and cant wait to get one now
Mercy Offline
#36 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:12:31 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Originally Posted by: SharonCallis Go to Quoted Post
Wow

Thanks so much for all the information. I dont have a cricut cake (yet) but i have learnd so much and cant wait to get one now

You're welcome and we are glad that we were able to help. I have more to add and it is a learning curve but when you get it, you got it! Just make sure your kitchen is cold or cool as she does not do well in a warm or hot kitchen. When you do get one, let us see the results!
candicelindsay Offline
#37 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:15:15 PM(UTC)
candicelindsay

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Marshmallow Fondant Recipe

Ingredients

1 Bag Marshmallows

1 TBSP Water

1 Bag Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar

Microwave-Safe Bowl

Crisco

Gloves, OPT.
Wooden Spoon,coated with Crisco

****TIP**** Coat Everything with Crisco to avoid sticking

Directions

1. Coat bowl with shortening to prevent sticking
2. Add the water to the marshmallows and microwave for at 30 second intervals until marshmallows are almost completely melted
3. After stirring marshmallows pour half of the powdered sugar contents onto the GREASED counter
4. Pour all of the heated marshmallow mixture onto the powdered sugar
5. Put on gloves and mix in powdered sugar until a dough forms (like a bread dough)
6. Store the marshmallow fondant in an air-tight container and let sit for 2-3 hours.

I don't refrigerate my fondant but if you live in a state where the humidity is high you could refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm.
After that your homemade MMF is ready to be used in the cricut cake!
 2 users thanked candicelindsay for this useful post.
Mercy on 3/31/2011(UTC), Hodmom on 4/13/2011(UTC)
Mercy Offline
#38 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:27:52 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Candice, THANKS and looking forward to more tips!! BigGrin You know I laughed when I saw gloves in your post because I used the thin server gloves to mix my gel paste to color the medium and the gloves tore so I had to dig out the parts of the glove that broke out of the medum! LOL So, I ordered some gloves that should take the wear and tear!LOL

Edited by user Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:28:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BJR Offline
#39 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:19:37 PM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
Thanks again for all the tips- I'll have to print out all the info to keep near my CCakes! BJR.BigGrin
Mercy Offline
#40 Posted : Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:36:55 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Originally Posted by: BJR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks again for all the tips- I'll have to print out all the info to keep near my CCakes! BJR.BigGrin

You're welcome and I do understand! BigGrin I have to take the time to find the rest of the tips but what has been posted will give us a start. BigGrin
Hodmom Online
#41 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 9:16:34 AM(UTC)
Hodmom

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 5726 time(s) in 3605 post(s)
thank you for this post! i just ordered my cake machine yesterday from HSN....i am reading up so i'm ready to go when it arrives....have already volunteered to bake for a fundraiser for my daughter's softball team....you are a life saver!
Mercy Offline
#42 Posted : Monday, April 04, 2011 10:39:16 AM(UTC)
Mercy

You're welcome and we are glad that we are able to help!
redrosenj99 on 4/6/2011(UTC)
Mercy Offline
#43 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:27:31 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Cricut Cake FAQ’s

NEW QUESTIONS/ISSUES FROM SURVEY:

• The Rollers are hard to clean

Use the brush included in the box to brush off any dried food particles. With the machine unplugged, wipe down the roller bars with a clean damp cloth. You may need to manually move the carriage to the left side of the machine to reach the right side of the roller bars. Once the machine is on again, the carriage will return to the left side.

• Some parts are not getting cut so I am having to use my exacto knife to cut it

You may need to increase the pressure setting on the machine. Experiment with the pressure settings until it cuts completely through the food material.

• The blade cuts into the mat

The blade will always cut a little into the mat. This is normal. You will need to replace your mat periodically after a lot of use. You should also experiment with different pressure settings. Use the lowest pressure necessary to cut through the food material completely. This is usually only medium pressure, but again you will need to experiment with different food materials.

• It will jam and I have to force it to quit

Make sure your food material is no thicker than 1/8” thick. It will cut best at 1/16” thick.

Make sure your blade is clean.
If you are cutting fondant, please see tips for cutting fondant.
If you are cutting gum paste, try freezing it to firm it up a little before cutting.

• It leaves jagged edges and does not work well at all

Make sure your food material is no thicker than 1/8” thick. It will cut best at 1/16” thick.

Make sure your blade is clean.

Don’t allow your food material to dry out too much. If a dry crust forms, it will cause a jagged, uneven cut on the top. You can still turn the design over and the back should still have smooth edges.

• Fondant gets “gunked up”

Make sure your fondant is rolled out no thicker than 1/8” thick. It will cut best at 1/16” thick. Fondant also has stretchy, draping properties that make it ideal to cover a cake. This allows the fondant to smoothly cover the cake without cracking. These same properties make it difficult to cut. Instead of cutting, the blade will have more of a tendency to stretch the fondant rather than cut it. To overcome this, it is necessary to make the fondant firmer. This can be accomplished a few different ways—freezing, slightly drying it out, and adding gum powders.

Freezing works well in cool, dry climates. In humid, hot environments the fondant can become very gummy as soon as you remove it from the freezer.

Drying out the fondant a little can be time consuming and can cause a crust to form on the top. However, you can overcome the “crusting” effect by placing it back in a bag overnight. This will help equalize the moisture content throughout the fondant.

The best way to make the fondant easier to cut is by adding gum powders. There are many on the market—tylose powder, Gum-tex, etc. You will need to experiment with the amount of gum powder you add to your fondant based on the type of powder and the fondant recipe you use. Knead in a little at a time until it has a more firm texture. Be aware that this will make your fondant dry out faster and you will not be able to use this new mixture to cover your cake. Roll out and use as normal.

• The blade is confusing…which way do I put it in?

Make sure the sharp edge is sticking out of the base of the blade housing. Match the notches in the blade housing to the cutouts in the housing arms. Close the arms and swing the screw over and tighten. It doesn’t matter which direction the blade is pointing when it is placed in the machine. When the machine starts cutting, it will automatically turn the right direction for cutting.
redrosenj99 on 4/16/2011(UTC)
Mercy Offline
#44 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:34:37 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Cutting Frosting Sheets

Getting the right amount of shortening, proper cutting speed, and pressure is very important for frosting sheets.

• Always start with a clean, dry mat.

• Apply a generous coat of shortening using a pastry brush. If shortening is white, you have too much.

• Only take one sheet out at a time. Reseal the bag to keep the other sheets fresh. Remove from backer paper. Ensure that the frosting sheet you’re working with is still flexible and pliable.

• Apply shortening to the back of the frosting sheet using a pastry brush.

• Apply the greased frosting sheet to the greased Cricut Cake mat. Smooth out all air bubbles (use the smoother in the Cricut Cake Tool Kit or a rolling pin). You will be able to see air bubbles and areas without shortening more easily with frosting sheets since they are somewhat transparent. The frosting sheet will appear wet and you may be able to see the brush strokes where shortening has been applied. Lift the frosting sheet and apply shortening to any areas you may have missed, if necessary. Make sure to smooth down and get out all the air bubbles.

• Using the directional arrows on the machine, move the cutting blade about ½" from the top and side edge.

Start cutting using medium speed and pressure. You may need to adjust the pressure. Use just enough pressure to cut through the frosting sheet but not into the mat. For best results cut images 3" or larger. More intricate images may cut better at larger sizes.

• To prevent drying, store cut shapes in a sealed bag until ready to use.

1. What causes my frosting sheet to slip when it’s being cut?

a. You may have too much shortening. Use a pastry brush to apply the shortening and brush until all the white is
gone. You should see transparent brush marks where you’ve applied shortening to the mat.

b. The shortening may be too warm. Since shortening turns to liquid at high temperatures, this can cause the frosting sheet to slip. Always start with a room temperature or cold mat (not hot) and, if possible, work in a room that is 80 degrees F or less. If necessary, place mat with frosting sheet applied in the freezer for about 2 to 5 minutes. Just leave it in there long enough to firm up the shortening, but not so long that the frosting sheet becomes cold and brittle.

2. What causes my frosting sheet to bunch up when it’s being cut?

a. You may not have enough shortening. Use a pastry brush to apply the shortening to the mat and the back of the frosting sheet. Apply the frosting sheet to the mat and smooth out all the air bubbles. Check for any spots that don’t appear wet. Lift and apply shortening to any of these areas.

b. You may have air bubbles under the frosting sheet. Use the smoother from the Cricut Cake Tool Kit or a rolling pin to smooth out the frosting sheet and apply the frosting sheet to the mat. Check for air bubbles and continue to smooth onto the mat until well applied and no air bubbles can be seen.

3. How can I tell if I have enough shortening on the mat when cutting frosting sheets? Since the frosting sheets are so thin, they are somewhat transparent. The frosting sheet will appear wet and you may
be able to see the brush strokes where shortening has been applied. If you notice white areas, lift the frosting sheet and apply more shortening under the white area.

4. Why can't I use a paper towel or my hand to apply the shortening?
We recommend using a pastry brush to apply the shortening to ensure an even and ample coating of shortening. Apply a generous coating of shortening, but if the shortening is white, brush until the white is gone.

5. What do frosting sheets taste like?

They are starchy and lightly sweet. They taste somewhat like rice paper.

6. Can I reuse scraps of frosting sheets?

You can cut on any scraps of frosting sheets that are larger than 3" x 3". Unlike gum paste, you cannot re-roll frosting sheets.
Mercy Offline
#45 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:38:59 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Cutting Gum Paste:

• Gum paste will be crumbly and stiff or may even be a little hard when it comes out of the tub.

• Gently knead a portion of the gum paste until it becomes pliable and easy to work. If it is too stiff to work with, heat in the microwave for about 10 seconds.

• If you wish to color the gum paste, knead in gel-based food coloring until desired color is achieved and color is evenly distributed.

• Lightly dust both sides with a cornstarch and powdered sugar mixture.

• Using a rolling pin or a pasta machine, roll out to about 1/16" thick (about the thickness of one or two CDs).

• Apply to a greased Cricut Cake mat. Smooth out all the air bubbles using the smoother from the Cricut Cake Tool Kit or a rolling pin. Press down firmly to ensure the gum paste is adhered to the mat and that the air bubbles are gone.

• Place mat in the freezer for about 30 minutes to make it firmer for cutting.

• Remove mat from freezer and immediately place in the Cricut Cake machine. Use directional arrows to move the cutting blade ½" from top and side edges. Medium speed and pressure are recommended for best results.

• For best results, cut images 3" or larger.

1. Why do you use cornstarch and powdered sugar when you roll out the gum paste? This is the ideal mixture since cornstarch will make the gum paste a bit slippery and powdered sugar will make the gum paste stick slightly, reducing the slipperiness.

2. Can I use flour to roll out the gum paste? No. Gum paste does not contain flour. Adding flour will create an undesirable texture and flavor.

3. Can I use any kind of food coloring to color my gum paste? No. The food coloring normally found in a grocery store has a very high water content. Adding water to gum paste will make it sticky and ruin it. We recommend that you use gel food coloring (found in the cake decorating section of many craft stores) to color your gum paste. It is concentrated and will require less to color the gum paste.

4. What does gum paste taste like? It taste very similar to fondant (the very smooth covering popular on many cakes). It is very sweet and has a gummy, chewy texture.

5. Why do you recommend medium pressure for cutting? Since you are only cutting through soft food materials, this is all the pressure that is required. Only use enough pressure to cut completely through the food material you are using. By using heavier pressure, you are cutting into the mat. This will shorten the life of your mat and your blade.

6. Why do you recommend medium speed for cutting? Since you are cutting through fairly thick materials, this will ensure a clean, even cut.

7. Can I reuse my scraps of gum paste? Yes, just put them in a sealed plastic bag until you are ready to use them. When you are ready, remove them from the bag and begin kneading until the gum paste becomes smooth and flexible (if necessary, place the gum paste in the microwave for 10 seconds). Re-roll the gum paste and you are ready to cut it again.
Mercy Offline
#46 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 9:40:59 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Information About Your Cricut Cake Machine and Tools

1. What can be washed in the dishwasher? The blade (not the blade housing) can be washed in the dishwasher when it is placed in the blade-cleaning basket. All of the Cricut Cake Tools can also be washed in the dishwasher. All mats and silicone covers can be washed with warm soapy water in the sink. The machine should be wiped down with a damp (not wet) cloth.

2. Why can't I wash the machine parts in my dishwasher? Much like other appliances in the kitchen (mixers, toasters, etc), this machine has electronic components and moving parts that are damaged when they get wet. Wiping the machine down after each use will keep it clean and help extend its usable life.

3. What is different about this machine than the other Cricut machines? All parts that come in contact with food are made from food safe plastic or stainless steel. This makes the Cricut Cake machine safe for cutting food materials. We have specially designed the blade and blade housing to cut food materials better. We've also added silicone protective covers to protect the machine and make clean up easier. This machine was specially designed for cutting food materials.

4. What food materials can be cut with this machine? Besides frosting sheets, gum paste, and fondant, we have had success cutting cookie dough, cheese, tortillas, modeling chocolate, gum, and various soft candies. This machine will cut through soft food materials. This will require you to experiment to get the right consistency of food and the proper settings on the machine.
BJR Offline
#47 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:54:44 AM(UTC)
BJR

Thanks again Mercy! I have tried to access the old board to copy files but when I try- at first it says there are some but when you click on it it says none. How can you access them? BJR. You are so helpful!! BigGrin
Mercy Offline
#48 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:51:36 PM(UTC)
Mercy

You're welcome! Sad to say that you cannot get to the entire old messages because when the board was being transferred those posts were lost because of a technical reason. I had a thread of all of the projects made since launch and that was lost as well but it was not human error so I do understand but it did hurt! LOL I hope to find in my notes if I copied it the answers to many of the questions asked as those were really good tips. What I posted came from the things that I copied for my personal notes not knowing that the threads would vanished so I am happy that I did and also from pc's cake website as well as some of the tips from the new cake site (this forum). Therefore, unless others copied some of the posts, what you see in this thread is all that remains of the old cake forum.Crying
ChristineTaylor Offline
#49 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:53:12 PM(UTC)
ChristineTaylor

Thank you for all the helpful info!
Mercy Offline
#50 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2011 4:27:06 PM(UTC)
Mercy

You're welcome!
BJR Offline
#51 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:20:32 AM(UTC)
BJR

Thanks very much Mercy- I guess that explains alot. I now wish I had copied more! Again thanks for what you have posted. BJR.
JillyPlot Offline
#52 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2011 3:04:38 PM(UTC)
JillyPlot

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Thanks so much!! These tips have been so helpful so far!!
AShu93 Offline
#53 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2011 7:11:36 AM(UTC)
AShu93

I finally got my cake machine out of the box to try on Wed. It worked wonderfully with the new Wilton Sugar Sheets (coming soon!) and with gumpaste I colored myself. This was rolled really thin.

But when I tried to cut some cookies last night, the blade kept dragging across the cutout as it moved to the next one. It cut a really deep line, and I'm sure the dough was rolled thin enough.

Any ideas what is wrong?
Mercy Offline
#54 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 10:59:43 AM(UTC)
Mercy

Originally Posted by: BJR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks very much Mercy- I guess that explains alot. I now wish I had copied more! Again thanks for what you have posted. BJR.

You're welcome!
Mercy Offline
#55 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 6:14:49 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Originally Posted by: JillyPlot Go to Quoted Post
Thanks so much!! These tips have been so helpful so far!!

You're welcome and we are glad that this thread is helpful!
Mercy Offline
#56 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 6:16:09 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Originally Posted by: AShu93 Go to Quoted Post
I finally got my cake machine out of the box to try on Wed. It worked wonderfully with the new Wilton Sugar Sheets (coming soon!) and with gumpaste I colored myself. This was rolled really thin.

But when I tried to cut some cookies last night, the blade kept dragging across the cutout as it moved to the next one. It cut a really deep line, and I'm sure the dough was rolled thin enough.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Did you get your cookie problem fixed?
Mercy Offline
#57 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:50:09 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Basic Care

Blade Life

You can expect anywhere from 500 to 1500 single cuts from your cutting blade before it requires replacement. Your actual cutting blade life will vary, depending on the settings you use and the materials you cut. When the quality of your cuts decreases, it is probably time to replace your cutting blade.

Caring for the Cutting Mat

You can expect anywhere from 25–40 full mat cuts (expect even more when a cut is smaller than the full mat) from your Cricut Cake™ cutting mat before it requires replacement. Your actual cutting mat life will vary, depending on the settings you use and the materials you cut.

TIP: To extend the overall life of each mat, use several mats, rotating them often, and
keep them clean.
MalenaKoplin Offline
#58 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:37:52 PM(UTC)
MalenaKoplin

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Mercy asked me to share this info with you from the Cookie Dough topic.

I've made dozens of cookies with my Cake Mini. I've only cut cookie dough with it. These tips have made my cookies awesome.

I use premade dough because I'm lazy. I just add a little flour when I roll it.

I put shortening on the mat, like the directions say, then I cut parchment paper to fit the cutting area on the mat. The parchment paper sticks to the mat because of the shortening. What the parchment paper allows me to do is cut really intricate designs then lift them from the cutting mat onto the cookie sheet without the design stretching or breaking.

I freeze the dough for at least 5 minutes before cutting it. Also, the quicker I remove the extra dough while it is still frozen, the easier it is to remove.

I roll out several mats of dough and put them in the freezer, then cut them. Otherwise it is too slow.

Initial Cookies for my husband's CPA firm Xmas party

Valentine's Day treats

I have a video of myself explaining all this, but I can't find it. I'll post it if I can.
MalenaKoplin Offline
#59 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:22:02 PM(UTC)
MalenaKoplin

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I found the video of cutting cookie dough with the Cricut Cake.
Cutting Cookie Dough with Cricut Cake Mini
 1 user thanked MalenaKoplin for this useful post.
Carolyn on 11/19/2011(UTC)
Mercy Offline
#60 Posted : Friday, June 03, 2011 9:36:41 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Originally Posted by: MalenaKoplin Go to Quoted Post
Mercy asked me to share this info with you from the Cookie Dough topic.

I've made dozens of cookies with my Cake Mini. I've only cut cookie dough with it. These tips have made my cookies awesome.

I use premade dough because I'm lazy. I just add a little flour when I roll it.

I put shortening on the mat, like the directions say, then I cut parchment paper to fit the cutting area on the mat. The parchment paper sticks to the mat because of the shortening. What the parchment paper allows me to do is cut really intricate designs then lift them from the cutting mat onto the cookie sheet without the design stretching or breaking.

I freeze the dough for at least 5 minutes before cutting it. Also, the quicker I remove the extra dough while it is still frozen, the easier it is to remove.

I roll out several mats of dough and put them in the freezer, then cut them. Otherwise it is too slow.

Initial Cookies for my husband's CPA firm Xmas party

Valentine's Day treats

I have a video of myself explaining all this, but I can't find it. I'll post it if I can.

Thanks for the tip! Love the idea!!