Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AronsonStack Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:36:47 AM(UTC)
AronsonStack

Groups: Registered

I know a cricut machine is probably more advance than what I'm asking it to do, which is simply replace my hands so that I can have a perfect ellipse. Here's my goal. The ellipse shapes that I need to cut out are very specific in it's size, 4.55 inch by 2.98 inch to be exact. Pictures, graphics, etc. are inside the ellipse. Each ellipse is printed out on a 4x6 print from Snapfish. Because Snapfish crops/stretches everything, I have to fool it by creating blank 4x6 images and then pasting my 4.55 x 2.98 inside it. So the final results look something like the attached template jpeg, just imagine family pictures and stuff inside the borders of the elipse.

To not waste any adhesive, I use a straight edge to cut off the red border part. I then run my final 4.55 x 2.98 prints through the Xyron to laminate one side and adhesive on the other. Finally, I cut the ellipse out free-hand. So.. what I'm getting at is can this machine cut this ellipse for me? I have doubts because it's advertised as no PC needed. So I'm wondering how am I going to get this thing to cut exactly where it needs to cut? If yes, is it okay that the print I load in it is already laminated? Or, should I run them through the Xyron last?

Please advise, and thank you so much for your time.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:37:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AronsonStack attached the following image(s):
template.jpg
CanadaJanice Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 5:37:28 AM(UTC)
CanadaJanice

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 66 post(s)
I believe the only way to get it to be as precise as you want is to use both a Cricut and a Gypsy.
AronsonStack Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:14:48 AM(UTC)
AronsonStack

Like a fortune teller? To tell me if the cut I'm about to make will turn out well? :) I kid, I kid... Well, I searched and read the product description at Amazon for Provo Craft Gypsy, and it only made me more confused. It's hard to understand a Cricut machine in the first place, let alone a Gypsy accessory. I think I'm just going to have to buy it and see what it's all about. Return it if it's not for me.
Caligirl58 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 7:17:02 AM(UTC)
Caligirl58

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Go and buy a Cricit. Check it out first and then decide if you need Gypsy too!
Geaux Girl Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:55:51 AM(UTC)
Geaux Girl

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
It would be hard to make that precise a cut with the cricut alone, but you could do it with Design studio. it would need a computer to work, but not the internet. Plus its cheaper than the Gypsy. I have cut things that are laminated with no problem, just adjust the pressure blade.
Doxieluv01 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:54:27 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
actually you would be able to do that with the new FREE program coming out by PC called cricut craft room which you then cut from your cricut. you could also do it with design studio or the gypsy (the hand held version of Design studio). You can download the trial version of design studio here http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx cricut craft room is much more user friendly but similiar to DS.
AronsonStack Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 08, 2011 10:44:20 PM(UTC)
AronsonStack

Originally Posted by: Doxieluv01 Go to Quoted Post
actually you would be able to do that with the new FREE program coming out by PC called cricut craft room which you then cut from your cricut. you could also do it with design studio or the gypsy (the hand held version of Design studio). You can download the trial version of design studio here http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx cricut craft room is much more user friendly but similiar to DS.

Do I need any special cartridge? Or, are cartridges only for people who don't want to design on the pc? Is it a correct assumption that if I use cricut craft or design studio, then I don't need any special cartridges?
Doxieluv01 Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:12:10 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AronsonStack Go to Quoted Post
Do I need any special cartridge? Or, are cartridges only for people who don't want to design on the pc? Is it a correct assumption that if I use cricut craft or design studio, then I don't need any special cartridges?

no you do still need the cartridges. the Cricut is a cartridge based system so you would need a cartridge to cut from any of the programs, however, there are many that have basic shapes on them that come with the cricut machine. George and Basic shapes comes with the original (v1) machine; plantin schoolbook comes with most of the expression bundles, and don juan comes with the create.