Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MamaBearMoose Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 6:47:21 AM(UTC)
MamaBearMoose

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am trying to cut the hair for the bride on paper dolls and no matter what setting I have it on it seems to rip the paper. Using just regular cardstock. Any suggestions
 1 user thanked MamaBearMoose for this useful post.
sweetpea1030 on 1/23/2011(UTC)
ShannonVary Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 7:33:30 AM(UTC)
ShannonVary

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
How new is your mat? Have you seasoned it yet?
JeanneAndella Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2011 1:26:06 PM(UTC)
JeanneAndella

Newbie,
What do you mean by season the cricut mat?
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2011 6:32:20 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7603 time(s) in 4452 post(s)
Mama - Have you been able to cut the hair out yet? Just wondering. We can try to help you again.

I would think since you're using cardstock to cut out the hair, the mat wouldn't cause the problem. You want a good stick on the mat with cardstock.

Make sure the arrow on the blade (where you set blade depth) is facing you. The blade depth, of course, is determined by what number is at the arrow. I use blade depth "6" for almost EVERYTHING I cut. I hardly ever have trouble with my cuts.

If your cardstock has other cutouts on it, that the blade is moving up to when it cuts out the hair, the cardstock might be lifting a little around those already cut out areas. I use blue tape (you find it at Menard's, Walgreen's, etc.) to tape over those cutout areas.

People condition their mats when they are new and very sticky. Personally, I have never conditioned mine, because I love how the new ones stick. Conditioning entails lifting your hand up and down off the mat a number of times and/or using a cotton t-shirt to dab at the stickiness. Others might direct you to a video on how/why this is done.

Let us know if we can try to help you further.

Char
Barbi Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:48:19 PM(UTC)
Barbi

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
CricketCMV wrote:
Mama - Have you been able to cut the hair out yet? Just wondering. We can try to help you again.

I would think since you're using cardstock to cut out the hair, the mat wouldn't cause the problem. You want a good stick on the mat with cardstock.

Make sure the arrow on the blade (where you set blade depth) is facing you. The blade depth, of course, is determined by what number is at the arrow. I use blade depth "6" for almost EVERYTHING I cut. I hardly ever have trouble with my cuts.

If your cardstock has other cutouts on it, that the blade is moving up to when it cuts out the hair, the cardstock might be lifting a little around those already cut out areas. I use blue tape (you find it at Menard's, Walgreen's, etc.) to tape over those cutout areas.

People condition their mats when they are new and very sticky. Personally, I have never conditioned mine, because I love how the new ones stick. Conditioning entails lifting your hand up and down off the mat a number of times and/or using a cotton t-shirt to dab at the stickiness. Others might direct you to a video on how/why this is done.

Let us know if we can try to help you further.

Char

Which blade housing the blue or green.
I am running into the same problems and am NOT digging my cricut at this point, i have wasted so much paper due to tearing and the mats are new..HELP!

Edited by user Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:49:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DeeScraps Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:07:25 PM(UTC)
DeeScraps

Was thanked: 706 time(s) in 538 post(s)
Do you have the speed set to slow? That might help.

Dee
Barbi Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:20:05 PM(UTC)
Barbi

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I have had it set anywhere from 4 -6 and at med /high and pressure at high i am so frustrated...i am on my third mat (brand new) ...stumped..
sweetpea1030 Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:54:37 PM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
Have you tried the multi-cut feature? You can have it cut the same piece up to three times. I would try that and put my pressure on med or high.
Confused

DeeScraps Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:37:22 AM(UTC)
DeeScraps

Was thanked: 706 time(s) in 538 post(s)
Just remember that speed and pressure are two different settings. Also, make sure you have your blade in correctly. You should not be having this trouble. IMHP.

Dee
DeeQ Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:17:08 PM(UTC)
DeeQ

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Have you removed your blade from the blade housing and made sure there aren't any fuzzies clinging to it? Sometimes that prevents the blade from rotating when the arm changes direction and it "catches" the paper, tearing it.

Try setting your speed on slow to medium, your pressure to medium and your blade depth to 3-5. Too much pressure or too deep a blade depth can prevent the blade from swiveling and it will tear your paper.

Another thing to try is to cut regular paper, or a different type of cardstock. Some cardstock doesn't cut well on some machine - like DCWV nubbly stuff won't cut for beans for me! Another idea is to try a new blade. You may have nicked yours or it may be dull.

Happier cutting!
Dee in NC
CricketCMV Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:51:24 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 7603 time(s) in 4452 post(s)
I went back to check some of the informaton PC puts out that is helpful to me sometimes and PC mentions that there were some blades that went out that weren't sharpened correctly (no date on this information) and was causing papers to tear for a lot of their customers.

I would suggest, if you've tried so many of the things we've mentioned, calling PC. I know it's a hassle; but, you might be one of the lucky ones to get through immediately! Good luck.

Char
SarahW Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:56:51 PM(UTC)
SarahW

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 43 post(s)
For those of you having trouble with ripping paper. The is a cricut cutting guide available for free download at aboverubiesstudio.com. It list a lot of manufacturers paper lines and how to set your machine up for each type. remeber though every machine is different so this is just a guide to start you off not an exact science. An example is DCVW Paper cut is basic bigger than 1 inch set your machine to blade depth of 6, speed 5, pressure 5 with the regular blade.where as if your cutting an intricate shape with the regular blade set your machine to balde depth 5 speed 2 pressure 3. Just thought i would throw this out there!!
Amandaj0831 Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 8:06:10 PM(UTC)
Amandaj0831

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Maybe try changing the blade? My blade had to be changed the 3rd time I used it.
BetsyBoo Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:03:05 PM(UTC)
BetsyBoo

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 281 time(s) in 153 post(s)
I am of the group that believes not all blades are created equal, I have had blades that I can cut hundreds of times and other blades that cut about 10 times decently and then have to be changed.

Use a new mat and a new blade and cut at a slower speed, make sure your paper you are cutting is not too thick.
lavenderblue Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:58:16 PM(UTC)
lavenderblue

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi, I was having the same problem for past 2 weeks. I waisted so much paper. I tried new mats, tried every possible cobminations of pressure, speed settings. cleaned blade carriage after every cut. i would get a couple of good cuts on heavy cardstock then agian back to bad cuts. I was so frustrated when it ruined my all four sheets of this particular patten i bought for special project. Then I changed the blade and since then no problems at all. i do not remember when was the last time I had this crisp and sharp cut. So try changing blade. Hope it may fix your issue.