Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

#1 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 5:22:43 PM(UTC)
--

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I'm new to this whole cricut craze!!! AND I LOVE IT! But I have some questions, I was thinking about buying a gypsy, but want to know the ups and the downs of it to really determine if it's something I want to invest in! Any comments would be helpful!!BigGrin
Doxieluv01 Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:19:47 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
I LOVE Wub my gypsy.

I had DS prior to getting a gypsy and used it all the time. Then when the prices of the Gypsy dropped dramatically I decided it was time to invest in one. I never use my cricut without using my gypsy.

I love being able to see what is going to cut before it cuts. I don't waste paper because I can see what size is cutting before it cuts.

I love being able to weld (create words from letters) as well as creating shapes not on existing cartridges. For example I needed a hot air ballon for a card and didn't have one a cart so I created one by "welding" basic shapes to create one

The gypsy has a group all function and a hide selected contour option which are awesome.

The hide selected contour allows you to take a cut that has several cuts in one and hide some of the shapes so that you can cut the layers in different colors. Like if you took the pregnant lady cut from New arrival

if you were to cut that shape directly from your cricut you would have to cut the cut 7 times in order to get the elements in different colors where as with the gypsy (and design studio) you can put the image on the mat 7 times hide all shapes leaving one of each shape on the mat and then cut each one in different colors all at once.

With the gypsy you link all of your carts to the gypsy and you never need to insert a cart into your machine.

Some people have said that they find the screen size rather small but I haven't had any issues with it especially with the "zoom" option.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about the gypsy or design studio.
 1 user thanked Doxieluv01 for this useful post.
-- on 1/2/2011(UTC)
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 8:37:38 PM(UTC)
--

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Doxieluv01 wrote:
I LOVE Wub my gypsy.

I had DS prior to getting a gypsy and used it all the time. Then when the prices of the Gypsy dropped dramatically I decided it was time to invest in one. I never use my cricut without using my gypsy.

I love being able to see what is going to cut before it cuts. I don't waste paper because I can see what size is cutting before it cuts.

I love being able to weld (create words from letters) as well as creating shapes not on existing cartridges. For example I needed a hot air ballon for a card and didn't have one a cart so I created one by "welding" basic shapes to create one

The gypsy has a group all function and a hide selected contour option which are awesome.

The hide selected contour allows you to take a cut that has several cuts in one and hide some of the shapes so that you can cut the layers in different colors. Like if you took the pregnant lady cut from New arrival

if you were to cut that shape directly from your cricut you would have to cut the cut 7 times in order to get the elements in different colors where as with the gypsy (and design studio) you can put the image on the mat 7 times hide all shapes leaving one of each shape on the mat and then cut each one in different colors all at once.

With the gypsy you link all of your carts to the gypsy and you never need to insert a cart into your machine.

Some people have said that they find the screen size rather small but I haven't had any issues with it especially with the "zoom" option.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about the gypsy or design studio.

THANKS so much for the info!!! I think it's time to invest too!!
scrapalette Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 8:44:38 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18454 time(s) in 8203 post(s)
You should check out TheBugBytes blog. She has some great info and tutorials on the Gypsy. mercy has posted lots of info on the Gypsy on the gypsy forums.

With the current price of the Gypsy and the free cart promo, it's a great time to buy one! BigGrin

I think I sound like a used car salesman! LOL
SandraCrowe1 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 9:31:41 AM(UTC)
SandraCrowe1

Glare Hi All, just been moaning on another blog. I got a Cricut and a Gypsy for xmas and I am totally frustrated with it. I do realise the Gypsy does loads more than I realised and you have to do a bit of research to find all its functions, but I do keep just reverting back to using my Cricut on its own. However, I have already lost the stickiness from two mats, I can't seem to get the paper to stay in place, or get the right pressure on the needle or the right depth. Any ideas before I put them both on Ebay?? I have only managed to get one card done! By the way I ordered my Gypsy from America from ebay, it only cost £80 plus $29 Import tax. Sam
LiveLaughScrap Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 10:29:39 AM(UTC)
LiveLaughScrap

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Doxieluv01 said it perfectly!!!

I love my Gypsy. I use it everyday, even if not cutting anything, but I at least design everyday. I to very rarely, use my Cricut w/o my Gypsy.

It is just so easy to make sure everyting is the right size to fit on the project you are working on. Welding is awesome, hide contour is great, groupins is great, zoom feature is awesome.
Design on the go, plug in & cut. It's just that easy!!

Occasionally there might be issues when a new update comes out, but they are usually soon fixed.
Other than that the good outweighs the bad tremndously.
Lori
Alicia Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2011 11:05:11 AM(UTC)
Alicia

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Rita (Sheri) wrote:
I'm new to this whole cricut craze!!! AND I LOVE IT! But I have some questions, I was thinking about buying a gypsy, but want to know the ups and the downs of it to really determine if it's something I want to invest in! Any comments would be helpful!!BigGrin

Micheal's has them for $49 right now and you get 6 free cartridges if you update your software and register it. I paid $90 just two weeks ago... When it first came out it was $299. I'd run and get it for that price.