Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Scrappin' Sarah Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:17:43 PM(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Okay, so if you guys look at the pictures I posted yesterday of my Fall 2009 page, you'll notice that the title "Fall" looks rather bumpy. I layered the pieces, I cut out in a shadow and then the normal cut and adhered them using a glue pen, but as you can see, it dried really bumpy. Does anybody have an inexpensive way to adhere the pieces together without the bumpy appearance? Most of the time, I use a tape runner to adhere my papers together, but there's going to come a time when I'm going to want to make the really intricate and delicate cuts and a tape runner just won't do.

Thanks in advance,
Sarah
gcmcevoy Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:42:37 AM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
Didn't see your other post but I have found that the xyron machines(if you can call them a machine) are wonderful for putting layers together. I use the X for small things and the 500for bigger things. I have found that the only thing that really works with the delicate cuts is taking your time and a lot of prayerLaugh ! Just have to go slowly peeling the cut off the xyron paper and getting it on the paper where you want it.tweezers help a little with this.HTH.
MamaC2 Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:43:54 AM(UTC)
MamaC2

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 3512 time(s) in 1755 post(s)
For intricate cuts I use 3 different ways of gluing them down.

**I use the Scotch quick-dry glue. It has a very fine tip and if you just touch the tip to the surface of the paper, it will leave a tiny bit of glue. This is kinda tricky until you learn how to apply it very lightly. At first, I left globs, but I soon learned how to put down just a little dab of glue. Personally, I really like this way best. The glue dries clear and it is permanent.

**I use the small Xyron "machine" (looks like an X). I run my intricate/small images through and then, before removing the top clear covering, I use a ball-point pen and trace around all the edges of the image. I rub the surface real well with my fingers. Then, remove the clear covering. This pulls off all the gunk and leaves a cleaned image. You can get repositionable and permanent refills...check the box for the type you want.

**I use the "pen" type Zig Zag glue pen. The tip actually looks like a ball-point pen. These pens are not as easily available as the wider tip ZigZag pens, but if you can find one, they are fantastic for leaving tiny bits of glue on small intricate images. If the flow is good, you can actually "write" with the glue..kinda neat! This is a 2-way glue. If you will wait a few seconds before laying the image down, the glue is repositionable. If you immediately lay the image down, the glue is suppose to be permanent.

*****My most important tool when working with intricate images (besides the glue) is my Tweezers! I can lay any image...any where with these really cool tweezers!
Ms.Scrappytoyou! Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:16:03 AM(UTC)
Ms.Scrappytoyou!

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hello!
Good question -
Like the other ladies, I use my Xyron's - the "X" and the "500". Only thing about the Xyron's - there is a 500 and a 510. One is green and one is purple. They are both 5 inches but take different refills. I didn't realize this at first and bought the wrong refill but a friend was able to use it.
I also love the Zig 2-way pens. I just both the ball point tip and the chiseled tip.

Hope this helps!
sweetpea1030 Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 1:37:45 AM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
I found three tiny little bottles with silver tops at hobby lobby. They look a lot like quilling gluers. Anyway, I just poured my glue in the bottle and applied the top. It works wonderfully. You can write with it or glue tiny, tiny pieces. They were in the acrylic painting hobby section. Hope that helps. I'd been looking for two years.
BigGrin
 1 user thanked sweetpea1030 for this useful post.
RanitaStandridge on 1/20/2011(UTC)
Annabella Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 7:16:01 AM(UTC)
Annabella

United States

Was thanked: 624 time(s) in 509 post(s)
Ms.Scrappytoyou! wrote:
Hello!
Good question -
Like the other ladies, I use my Xyron's - the "X" and the "500". Only thing about the Xyron's - there is a 500 and a 510. One is green and one is purple. They are both 5 inches but take different refills. I didn't realize this at first and bought the wrong refill but a friend was able to use it.
I also love the Zig 2-way pens. I just both the ball point tip and the chiseled tip.

Hope this helps!

This is what I would recommend. With the Xyron--MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE 500. The 510 cartridges are very hard to find in stores. Usually have to buy online.

Have Fun!!!
DugsPookie Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 8:23:14 AM(UTC)
DugsPookie

Canada

Was thanked: 492 time(s) in 321 post(s)
Hello =)
I am going to throw my 2 cents in here as well.

Small cuts: I use Xyron X create a sticker, zig two way glue pen and scotch quick dry glue (which I transfer into a quilling paper glue bottle)

Larger areas: I use my ATG 714
Larger intricate cuts: I use the Xyron 5" create station (formerly known as Xyron 510)

For putting 3D type projects together:(like boxes from Tags bags and boxes): I use scor-tape or tacky tape (the red looking kind)

For Embellishments: I use glue dots

To make things pop off the page I use: Stampin up dimensionals or Zots 3d

See what else takes up a lot of room in my crafting world =)

Hopefully that helps
Alice
DugsPookie Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 8:26:23 AM(UTC)
DugsPookie

Canada

oh i better clarify for the Xyron creative station (that is the green machine), Xyron has converted to that one rather than than the 510. If you have any question e mail them. I know when I was looking at the 5" machines I e mailed them and they were really good at explaining the 510 versus the 5" creative station. Based on their e mail I went with the 5" creative station since they were phasing the 510 out
Alice
JenMcCalley Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 9:03:17 AM(UTC)
JenMcCalley

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I also use the blue zig skinny glue pen! Love it!
SoonerMT Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 12:20:17 PM(UTC)
SoonerMT

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 89 post(s)
I really like the Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue for small cuts. I have the Xyron X and the 510 and like them well enough, but they both seem to waste a lot of adhesive. Also, I hate the "glue buggers" that I have to rub off!! The Zig Two-Way glue is okay, but a lot of times those pieces will not stick! I think it is the user, not the glue - I guess I don't move fast enough and the glue dries! Love the Zig to resticky my mats though. BigGrin
katm Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 3:59:43 PM(UTC)
katm

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I use the 500 and I was wondering if there is something better out there? Whenever I make stickers I have to take a QTip to clear up the excess glue. When it runs through the machine the clue around the edges of my item does not come off. Is there something I am not doing or something I should do differently?? I am trying to research different sticker machines however without trying them how do I know how well they work?
Any suggestions are more than welcome !
Kathy
Scrappin' Sarah Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 7:51:02 PM(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
So I bought the small Xyron "X" at Wal-Mart last week and I'm thinking about getting the $20 machine this week! LOL I only paid $8 for the "X". It's kind of a funky little tool, I like it!
DugsPookie Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 8:08:24 AM(UTC)
DugsPookie

Canada

[quote=katm]I use the 500 and I was wondering if there is something better out there? Whenever I make stickers I have to take a QTip to clear up the excess glue. When it runs through the machine the clue around the edges of my item does not come off. Is there something I am not doing or something I should do differently??

For me what I do is I use the end of a dry embossing stylus to just trace just the outside of the cut so that it gets the excess around the edge and I find that it works well. (I have my embossing stylus from Stampin up but I think any stylus with a rounded edge would work I would think. I know that my friend used the gypsy stylus for it and it works great)
As for the other areas if you rub it just a little before removing the cover sheet then I usually get a pretty clean area.

If you need help you can just PM me and I'll see if I can help BigGrin
Alice
LiveLaughScrap Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 8:42:15 AM(UTC)
LiveLaughScrap

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Scrappin' Sarah wrote:
Okay, so if you guys look at the pictures I posted yesterday of my Fall 2009 page, you'll notice that the title "Fall" looks rather bumpy. I layered the pieces, I cut out in a shadow and then the normal cut and adhered them using a glue pen, but as you can see, it dried really bumpy. Does anybody have an inexpensive way to adhere the pieces together without the bumpy appearance? Most of the time, I use a tape runner to adhere my papers together, but there's going to come a time when I'm going to want to make the really intricate and delicate cuts and a tape runner just won't do.

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

My new favorite liquid glue is: 3 in 1 Adhesive by Beacon.
It dries clear & leaves no bumps under your paper.
I get it at Michaels. I like it much better than their sister glue Zip Dry. The Zip Dry, dries in the nozzle too fast. I glue one piece & pick up the bottle to do another one & the nozzle is already glogged. i dont have that problem with 3 in 1.
HTH,
Lori

Edited by user Monday, January 03, 2011 8:42:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Penguin Collector Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 10:37:52 AM(UTC)
Penguin Collector

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 147 post(s)
I love my Xyrons (the X & 510).