Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
MissyMel Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:00:45 PM(UTC)
MissyMel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 70 post(s)
After some discussion on my other thread, it seems I am not the only one that needs a crafty intervention!! I thought that this would be the best place to put this, since it will be a CHALLENGE to all of us!! So post your spending ban goals here and let's help keep each other accountable!

My ban will be no shopping until I complete 10 layouts or projects. Adhesive, printing my photos, and swap items NOT included in my ban.
Some may want to do a specific time, but just do what ever you think you can stick to!

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully stay away from all the enablers on this MB!!!! I have emptied out three online shopping carts tonight, and working on layout number two!

GailHamilton Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:52:23 PM(UTC)
GailHamilton

Was thanked: 256 time(s) in 178 post(s)
My ban is going to be to avoid bidding on ANY carts on Ebay until February 1st. This is going to be tough for me because I honestly think I am addicted. Crying
Caitlynsmommy Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:45:15 AM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

Was thanked: 339 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Alright Missy I am here but I am not starting until Sunday. I HAVE to find this ONE stamp that is driving me nuts and I need 12 calendar pages from HL to do my months in review this year but that is it. I was bad last night and stocked up at joanns.com 50 bucks or so but it was all stuff I use regularly so it WILL get used!

Ok my goals:
NO shopping until March 1 with the following exceptions:
the ten things on my wish list IF they are on clearance OR 50% or more off
Valentine paper (I have half a mini stack left)
things for swaps (but since I have all my stuff planned out thus far I should not need to buy anything)

I am also going to STAY OFF the wishlist thread (Crying Crying ) until March 1st starting this Saturday. I love that thread so THIS will be the hardest for me. I need some major help there!
NLGirl Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:59:40 AM(UTC)
NLGirl

Canada

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Missy, I'm here. I'm with scrappingmommy2007 and will be going for an all out ban on scrapbook shopping of any kind but I do agree with you that we need essentials like adhesive & printing photo's since we can't do our layouts without them.

Also it's good to set goals that you feel you can achieve you will have better success, that being said I can't go the full 2011 year without buying any supplies, this I know. My spending ban will be until April 1, 2011

My weakness for sticking to my goal will be my DH because he will be trying to get me to shop because I think he will worry when I'm notBigGrin ( It wouldn't be normal for me to not buy something )
I have a wonderful husband who fully supports my hobby and he is always wanting to buy me supplies, carts, ect.
He insists I go to M's on a weekly bases even when I say I don't need to go this week. I know I'm a lucky gal! I appreciate him in so many ways.
MissyMel Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 10:08:47 AM(UTC)
MissyMel

Ok, so I had to take something back to J's (and embroidery thread was on sale!)Crying and HL. So I used that money to pick up something for my swap, and a couple of other little things. I did not over what I returned so I am not counting that as breaking my ban. I did however have to have tunnel vision as I walked in and out of there!

Gail-I love buying my carts of Ebay!! It will be tough for me too!

Crystal-No problem starting your ban on the 1st! I have a montly budget I spend on scrap supplies and I was already out, so I shouldn't be buying anyway! The wishlist thread is fun, but not good on the spending ban! However I would think that the RRRR Thread would be fine since they are coming from your stash!!

NLGirl- I think my husband will think that I am crazy when he finds out. Although he would probably say something like "There's no way you can do it" and it will make me crazy focused on proving him wrong! Glad you have a supportive husband, but if you tell him what you are doing, I am sure he will support you on that too!!

Ok, I am off to work on layout #2 that is still on my desk. Hopefully I can finish today!!
NLGirl Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:47:12 AM(UTC)
NLGirl

Canada

MissyMel wrote:
Ok, so I had to take something back to J's (and embroidery thread was on sale!)Crying and HL. So I used that money to pick up something for my swap, and a couple of other little things. I did not over what I returned so I am not counting that as breaking my ban. I did however have to have tunnel vision as I walked in and out of there!

Gail-I love buying my carts of Ebay!! It will be tough for me too!

Crystal-No problem starting your ban on the 1st! I have a montly budget I spend on scrap supplies and I was already out, so I shouldn't be buying anyway! The wishlist thread is fun, but not good on the spending ban! However I would think that the RRRR Thread would be fine since they are coming from your stash!!

NLGirl- I think my husband will think that I am crazy when he finds out. Although he would probably say something like "There's no way you can do it" and it will make me crazy focused on proving him wrong! Glad you have a supportive husband, but if you tell him what you are doing, I am sure he will support you on that too!!

Ok, I am off to work on layout #2 that is still on my desk. Hopefully I can finish today!!

Missy - You are so right! If you are told you can't do it than that will be the best thing that could happen to you BigGrin because that will make you determined to prove them wrong Lol.
I haven't mentioned it to hubby yet. He would probably say something like " Don't you be so foolish, if you like it get it"
It's your hobby and you enjoy it.BigGrin
Caitlynsmommy Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:52:06 AM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

So I went out today and spent about 40 getting Valentine and after christmas things to alter/use/make. I also picked up a few stocking stuffers and lots of DOVE MILK CHOCOLATE (1.24 a bag thank you very much!) (it is my favorite!) so I am happy now. I still have my top ten list, but it is not likely they will be at a price I can handle so they will sit there until March 1st. I need to do one trip to Ms down the road for mini glue dots or aleenes tack it over and over to make my own and I will be set.

I think I will add the twist of paying myself for each layout. What do you think is a good amount? I was thinking 2 bucks a page or 5 for a two pager. A buck a card and 5-8 bucks for any altered projects. What do you think?

Oh and last night I hit up that joanns.com sale and spent 50 or so getting things I know I use constantly and will need in the next few months and some pocket pages (to hurry up some scrapping). So I am set.

Oh and Missy I picked up something small for you today for our Vday swap!

Ladies do not forget that if you want some happy mail to check out the recycle renew rak, it comes from your stash and is a little something something in the mail.
pookie1 Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:15:38 PM(UTC)
pookie1

Was thanked: 181 time(s) in 135 post(s)
I am in, I did finish a 2 page Christmas page, I need to post photos of it. :-) I am in the process of a apple orchard LO and need to just cut it out. I have lots of LO's just sitting on my G ready to be cut out and put together.

I am not spending any more money because my New years resolutions is to reach my goal weight of 135 pounds, so I am saving my money for a new wardrobe. :-) I hope I can make it these dang store coupons make it so hard...I am a true shopoholic...I love my craft shopping so much but I admit I more than doubled my cart collection this holiday season between cricutmachine.com and PCP and ebay I have all the carts I want with the eception of the 2 new disny/pixar carts and I am in no hurry to grab those...

good luck everyone....

pookie
MissyMel Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:06:12 PM(UTC)
MissyMel

pookie1 wrote:
I am in, I did finish a 2 page Christmas page, I need to post photos of it. :-) I am in the process of a apple orchard LO and need to just cut it out. I have lots of LO's just sitting on my G ready to be cut out and put together.

I am not spending any more money because my New years resolutions is to reach my goal weight of 135 pounds, so I am saving my money for a new wardrobe. :-) I hope I can make it these dang store coupons make it so hard...I am a true shopoholic...I love my craft shopping so much but I admit I more than doubled my cart collection this holiday season between cricutmachine.com and PCP and ebay I have all the carts I want with the eception of the 2 new disny/pixar carts and I am in no hurry to grab those...

good luck everyone....

pookie

Pookie, good luck on your weight loss too!! I hate having coupons! I look for stuff just to use my 50% off coupons!
Caitlynsmommy Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:07:27 PM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

SO how is this for ironic? I opened the little sample paper we get on Wednesday and the FIRST thing there are not one not two but THREE Michaels ads LOL! In the recycling they went!
MissyMel Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:56:06 PM(UTC)
MissyMel

Caitlynsmommy wrote:
SO how is this for ironic? I opened the little sample paper we get on Wednesday and the FIRST thing there are not one not two but THREE Michaels ads LOL! In the recycling they went!

Wahoo!! Way to go!
Penny Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:00:58 PM(UTC)
Penny

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 570 time(s) in 363 post(s)
I am in on this. I just have to set my goals for completing projects. My goal for not spending is to only buy what is absolutely needed. I really want to use up my stash as I am reorganizing my room. I will get back to everyone with my goals. I really like the idea of completing 10 LO's. I have been sick with the flu and taking care of a mother who has dementia, so I haven't had time to really look at 2011 goals.
NLGirl Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:26:45 PM(UTC)
NLGirl

Canada

Caitlynsmommy wrote:

yay! Good for you.BigGrin
MissyMel Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:15:16 PM(UTC)
MissyMel

I finished up layout #2 and #3 is almost done! I am going to do a few more challenges this month on a couple of other MB's so hopefully that will keep me going!

Edited by user Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:19:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MissyMel attached the following image(s):
build play dream.JPG
MissyMel Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:18:45 PM(UTC)
MissyMel

PKH wrote:
I am in on this. I just have to set my goals for completing projects. My goal for not spending is to only buy what is absolutely needed. I really want to use up my stash as I am reorganizing my room. I will get back to everyone with my goals. I really like the idea of completing 10 LO's. I have been sick with the flu and taking care of a mother who has dementia, so I haven't had time to really look at 2011 goals.

PKH-glad to have you with us! I hope you feel better soon! Join in whenever you're ready!
TU Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:24:29 PM(UTC)
TU

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 52 post(s)
MissyMel wrote:
I finished up layout #2 and #3 is almost done! I am going to do a few more challenges this month on a couple of other MB's so hopefully that will keep me going!

That is way too sweet! (re: Lego unharmed during sleep) My son (7 yrs old) would think that was perfectly normal :)

Edited by user Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:25:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TU Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:39:07 PM(UTC)
TU

This idea - Spending Ban Challege - would make for a good SWAP idea. A 'use only what's on hand' 'pot-luck' kind of idea (not necessarily the same thing made for each in a group).

Or a 'suprise' 'grab-bag' swap - where we load up some bits and pieces (as specified) and seal in opague envelopes - so even the host(ess) is surprised.

It would be a great way to use up suplus and fill that need for something 'new'. New to you. :)

OK, in keeping with the OP. I will not buy anymore knitting books until I have made something from each of the 3 I have.

I will not buy any more embossing folders until I have made ahead Birthday cards for my family for the coming year (6 cards).

I will not buy any more beading supplies (this is going to be a toughy!!!) until I set up an Etsy (or other similar) store and list at least 5 things for sale (and have 5 of each made, on hand). This could seriously bring me to the year end (of 2011) or get me off my duff!!

I still intend to swap what's on hand.

ETA: changed the word RAK to SWAP (since that is actually what I meant).

Edited by user Friday, December 31, 2010 9:15:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MissyMel Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 8:52:37 AM(UTC)
MissyMel

TU wrote:
This idea - Spending Ban Challege - would make for a good RAK idea. A 'use only what's on hand' 'pot-luck' kind of idea (not necessarily the same thing made for each in a group).

Or a 'suprise' 'grab-bag' swap - where we load up some bits and pieces (as specified) and seal in opague envelopes - so even the host(ess) is surprised.

It would be a great way to use up suplus and fill that need for something 'new'. New to you. :)

OK, in keeping with the OP. I will not buy anymore knitting books until I have made something from each of the 3 I have.

I will not buy any more embossing folders until I have made ahead Birthday cards for my family for the coming year (6 cards).

I will not buy any more beading supplies (this is going to be a toughy!!!) until I set up an Etsy (or other similar) store and list at least 5 things for sale (and have 5 of each made, on hand). This could seriously bring me to the year end (of 2011) or get me off my duff!!

I still intend to swap what's on hand.

TU-Sounds like fun! And it sounds like you do as many crafts as I do! So if I complete any projects with my other crafts, then I count it! That way I can use up some of my other stuff too! It was really hard this week when I found out that machine embroidery thread was 50% off! That's a really good deal, and I need to round out my collection! I also would like to set up an Etsy shop, but kinda nervous about if any one would buy.
JenMcCalley Offline
#19 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 9:42:33 AM(UTC)
JenMcCalley

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Ok, I'll bite! I will not buy a cartridge (or cartridges) until after Valentine's day. I will also not buy anymore paper packs until after Spring Vacation and the CK Convention in Portland, OR.

My GOAL THIS YEAR (2011): I am currently scrapping Sept. 2008. By the end of 2011, I want to be at March of 2010 (at least!) I also will use up all the mini albums I have bought/created/etc. that don't have pictures in them yet!
Caitlynsmommy Offline
#20 Posted : Friday, December 31, 2010 7:01:57 PM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

Happy New Year everyone. I went out for my last shopping today and only spent 10 bucks on some chalkboard paint and sticko shimmering dots (yes I am addicted) I NEEDED the tulip jewels that look like mirrors to go with the Irock but neither Ms I went to had them :( And NO ONE had Valentine stuff out yet, so I will just make do with what I have, hope that is ok for you Missy since you will be getting the things LOL!

So I decided to try the ONE LITTLE WORD that is so popular and my word will be ENJOY. Enjoy my life, enjoy my stash, enjoy saving money and enjoy getting to a skinner me. What do you think?
Scrappy Tinman Offline
#21 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 4:44:47 AM(UTC)
Scrappy Tinman

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Caitlynsmommy wrote:
Happy New Year everyone. I went out for my last shopping today and only spent 10 bucks on some chalkboard paint and sticko shimmering dots (yes I am addicted) I NEEDED the tulip jewels that look like mirrors to go with the Irock but neither Ms I went to had them :( And NO ONE had Valentine stuff out yet, so I will just make do with what I have, hope that is ok for you Missy since you will be getting the things LOL!

So I decided to try the ONE LITTLE WORD that is so popular and my word will be ENJOY. Enjoy my life, enjoy my stash, enjoy saving money and enjoy getting to a skinner me. What do you think?

I am doing the one little word too. I will be using deliberate. I need to slow down and do the things more deliberately. Deliberate food choices, activity selections, spending habits.

I am working first on the food choices. I need to loose ALOT of weight. I am focusing on loosing 1X (from a 2x to a 1x) by spring. I have found that when I am really in a good place with my weight my money habits and scrapping habits follow. So I have deliberately decided to focus on food first and let the rest follow. So far so good but then again, I haven't been to the kitchen yet this morning.

Happy New Day/Year everyone!
Caitlynsmommy Offline
#22 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 11:35:40 AM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

Tinman are you doing the actual class too? I was going to but it is 36.00 bucks so I will just try to live by my word and use a journal to document what I am doing good or bad

So today I have made the mini calendar/flip photo book for MIL so that is 10.00 in my scrap jar YAY! Yes 10 because it is 15 pages long and I had to get it done NOW LOL!
Caitlynsmommy Offline
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 5:18:44 PM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

I am happy to report that I got my DCWV 8X8 Calendar kit done today too so that is another 8.00 towards my budget YAY!

So I have a question: Does organizational things count as buying scrapping things? I need two more photo boxes and an Iris container, but hubby and I disagree if that is considered scrappy shopping or not. What do you think?
MissyMel Offline
#24 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 5:47:56 PM(UTC)
MissyMel

Happy New Years everyone!! If you didn't stop by my blog, I participated in a New Year's Day Blog hop. (That was layout #1 and a short video tutorial!) Check it out for some chances to win some awesome blog candy! I didn't have a giveaway, but there are some that are giving away stamps, ATG's, mini albums, and a Cricut cart! A great way to not spend our money and still get scrapping goodies!!
I have been getting emails left and right for sales and coupns! At this point, I am just deleting them!! No use looking when I can't buy! When I get closer to my 10 LO's, I will though!!!

Crystal-sounds like you have been working away!! Yeah!!! As for the storage, that one's tough. A photo box is not that expensive so I would say that is ok, but a new JetMax cube, that would be a different story!! And a great word for the year!

Tinman-Good choice for your word too! I hope that you reach all your goals this year!! You CAN do it!!

Jen-Welcome to the thread! Good goals for the year!!
TU Offline
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 01, 2011 6:34:51 PM(UTC)
TU

Caitlynsmommy wrote:
Tinman are you doing the actual class too? I was going to but it is 36.00 bucks so I will just try to live by my word and use a journal to document what I am doing good or bad

So today I have made the mini calendar/flip photo book for MIL so that is 10.00 in my scrap jar YAY! Yes 10 because it is 15 pages long and I had to get it done NOW LOL!

You go GIRL!

I am ENJOYING this and want to DELIBERATE (LOL) on my choice words...can you please fill me in (clueless) about what the "actual class" is.

My word is DISCIPLINE! I need it in many areas of my life! My DH has too much perhaps* and I don't have enough (any) LOL

*nothing is safe on the floor in my house, since my DH is so, shall we say, disciplined and regimented (don't get me wrong, I mostly love that quality Wub about him) and so he threw out the tattered brown paper bag, with a sheep drawn on the front of it, that my little wooly sheep tree decoration lived in between Christmasses for the past 25 yrs. That old bag was so precious to me Crying - it was worn to what felt like a smooth leather over the years and it brought back memories each time I handled it. Sorry, I know this is probably not the place for this, but I realize the bag would probably not be in some recycle facility right now if I had made sure it was in the box and not on the floor (looking like something to throw away) if only I was more disciplined! My DH feels really bad - he understands my silly sentiMENTALal attachment to it. He said he was going to draw a little sheep on the empty KFC bag Glare - but it might be a good memory of how great he is (and means to be) in say 25 years from now.

Edited by user Saturday, January 01, 2011 6:36:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Caitlynsmommy Offline
#26 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 2:51:56 PM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

Oh no TU! I am so sorry your bag got thrown away! HUGS!

Here is a link to the actual Ali Edwards class: http://www.bigpictureclasses.com/onelittleword.php

Well today I have not been productive, I have slept on and off all day long since my lovely family decided to share their nasty germs with me YUCK! I did get all the pictures up to mid December loaded on snapfish and ordered my 99 prints for 99 cents, and NO that does not count ! LOL!

Missy I agree that LITTLE organizational things do not count but I am NOT going in the store so I will make do with what I have. I do have to go in the stores or online shop for our February birthday girl though, I sure hope I can keep it honest!
TU Offline
#27 Posted : Sunday, January 02, 2011 8:27:26 PM(UTC)
TU

Caitlynsmommy wrote:
Oh no TU! I am so sorry your bag got thrown away! HUGS!

Here is a link to the actual Ali Edwards class: http://www.bigpictureclasses.com/onelittleword.php

Well today I have not been productive, I have slept on and off all day long since my lovely family decided to share their nasty germs with me YUCK! I did get all the pictures up to mid December loaded on snapfish and ordered my 99 prints for 99 cents, and NO that does not count ! LOL!

Missy I agree that LITTLE organizational things do not count but I am NOT going in the store so I will make do with what I have. I do have to go in the stores or online shop for our February birthday girl though, I sure hope I can keep it honest!

Thank you Smile I checked out your link and ventured off on links there. It made me realize how well disipline will serve me. One thing I decided this Christmas - while loading years of images on a digital photo frame app. that we gave my parents was that I should just go ahead and put together simple photo albums (like we used to do when I was a kid), so at least I have those to show. No one is really going to care that they are not scrapbooked. Then, when inspiration strikes, I can be purposeful about making scrapbook pages for special moments - the more mudane but nice to have images still on display in the photo albums. Thinking about that took away the stress I put myself under to catch up. It seems easy and fun again Smile

I made a purchase today. I needed an embossing ink pad (realized the one I last used over 5 yrs ago was not up to par (even after refreshing it with some water - since it was barely used...odd bit...it smelled like ?toothpaste?).

My DH actually picked it up for me (I had to give him....well, offered to give him my $10 coffee money). He also bought me a fiskar swivel knife because they were a good deal. It's the first time he's been to our local SB place - he said "they are really organized!" Glare (pressure is on to tidy my cave LOL ).

I hope that doesn't count as failing already Confused

Anyway, best wishes to everyone - enjoy taking inventory of all of your treasures - worldly and otherwise!

Edited by user Sunday, January 02, 2011 8:28:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

j-bear Offline
#28 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 11:11:28 AM(UTC)
j-bear

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Thank you Crystal for telling me about this thread cause I can really use some help this year!

My goal is to set up a craft budget and stick to it. My weakness lately is online shopping so I am going to try and avoid any "good" online deals. I dont need anything right now except some card stock (no pattern paper no matter how pretty it is) and some things for the swaps I am in. Wish me luck!!
scrapea&happy Offline
#29 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 12:55:27 PM(UTC)
scrapea&happy

This looks like a really great thread that I need to belong to this year! I set a New Year's Resolution of limiting my spendng on crafting supplies this year. But, I didn't specifify specifically how. It is on my blog at www.scrappinandhappy.blogspot.com. I set this because I have so many great thingsthat I have bought that now it is time to pretty much start using it all! I have this weird mentally to save something for a special project, or that that paper is too nice to use for just a card! But, I am going to tray and stop that thinking this year! It is time to use what I have. Now, I have permitted myself to buy photos and adhesive. And not deprive myself completely! I really would like to take a class, so I am not going to include that. The Ali Davis one appeals to me also and think this is a great way to start using what I have. I really would like the Ali Davis sketch books. So, that is something that I might buy, but then I don't know what other parameters to put on it.

But, I do know that having all of your support will be a great motivator!

Total Scrap Purchases this year $0.00
Caitlynsmommy Offline
#30 Posted : Monday, January 03, 2011 5:39:55 PM(UTC)
Caitlynsmommy

Ok today I spent 2.67 on a photo box and 1.99 on an album that was on clearance. I already have an idea for hte album but yes it was 1.99 so that is out of the budget that I already made!