Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Purple Kitty Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2010 5:28:46 PM(UTC)
Purple Kitty

Groups: Registered

Confused Hi everyone,
I just got my Personal Cricut for a week, I had fun trying some shape and font but I just realized that the result is not as I expected! some shape cut not right such as one of the corner of a rectangle is not straight and when I try circle shape the cutting end didn't meet/connect especially when I cut small size! it never make a full circle or full hole(for charm)! Does anyone ever had problem like this? I set my blade as per guide from this blog : http://obsessedwithscrapbooking.com . Please Help me! ConfusedConfused Confused
sweetpea1030 Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:07:56 AM(UTC)
sweetpea1030

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1604 time(s) in 1019 post(s)
Welcome to the MB.

I think you may need to update your firmware.

P.S. Some folks have experienced this problem after trying to cut with a third-party software other than one designed by Provo Craft. There are several, and you will void your warranty if you use them. Design Studio is the software Provo Craft makes for their machines/cutters. You can download a free trial at Cricut.com.
HTHConfused
Purple Kitty Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:03:17 AM(UTC)
Purple Kitty

Thanks! But I never use third party software with this bug, should I still need to update the firmware?
TU Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:09:58 PM(UTC)
TU

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 52 post(s)
I was having similar issues - updating the Cricut firmware (from inside the trial of Design Studio) seemed to help somewhat with the circular / oval shapes - their start and end cuts seem to meet better now, but there is still some over cutting on small size cut-outs (like Hello Kitty's eyes). Squares / Rectangles are still softly malformed - the corners are rounded off (they are not squared, crisp, and pointy at the corners, like I would expect or get by cutting by hand). It's like the cuts are not precise enough for me. I just chalked it up to the limitations of a 'personal' cutter. I don't know if it's possible, on a cutting machine,to cut to my exacting standards - so I have a Cuttlebug too, so I can cut with dies if needed.

I still love my Cricut and it works well enough for my needs. It's helping me get over my obsession for perfection ;)

I do really really love my bug!
momof_4 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 12:18:36 AM(UTC)
momof_4

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Have you tried 'resetting' your cricut? I will see if I can find the link to the directions for you...
Purple Kitty Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 12:47:12 PM(UTC)
Purple Kitty

@TU : That's exactly what happened with my baby bug. I've tried to update firmware from inside DS trial version but it doesn't make any change still couldn't cut full circle and pointy corner *sigh*. I do have cuttlebug but I like the idea of cutting bigger size with Baby bug.

@Momof_4 : I haven't tried resetting. How it works?
Doxieluv01 Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 7:25:38 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
here are the reset instructions

http://www.cricut.com/me...eboard/tm.aspx?m=5497017

do you have your blade housing installed like this? with the arrow just to the left of the silver screw (your left when you look at the housing)

Edited by user Monday, December 13, 2010 7:26:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TU Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 8:57:25 PM(UTC)
TU

Maybe someone who isn't having any problems would be so kind as to cut a plain square, retanble and circle - so we can see how they should turn out. For me, it's only really a problem for the squares and rectangles now...no pointy corners.
Scrappy Tinman Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:32:55 AM(UTC)
Scrappy Tinman

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I think that a small notch is typical on many shapes as this is not a precise machine. A small pair of sharp scissors solves the problem very quickly. I have never cut a square/rectangle that does not have rounded corners. It bothered me a lot when I first started to used my cricut but it still does a much better job cutting than I can by hand so I have learned to live with it and incorporate it in my design.

I think as you move on to other shape cartridges you will find that it is not as bad on other cartridges.

Good luck and welcome to the Cricut world.
 1 user thanked Scrappy Tinman for this useful post.
TU on 12/14/2010(UTC)
TU Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:45:44 AM(UTC)
TU

Scrappy Tinman wrote:
I think that a small notch is typical on many shapes as this is not a precise machine. A small pair of sharp scissors solves the problem very quickly. I have never cut a square/rectangle that does not have rounded corners. It bothered me a lot when I first started to used my cricut but it still does a much better job cutting than I can by hand so I have learned to live with it and incorporate it in my design.

I think as you move on to other shape cartridges you will find that it is not as bad on other cartridges.

Good luck and welcome to the Cricut world.

Thanks, that's what I figured. There is only so much a cutting plotter, made for personal use, can be expected to do, IMO.

I think that is why so many of the pros have there fav punches and dies, for when they require absolute precision - and that's acceptable, IMO. I agree that when it is more a design image, it's not a noticable issue.

I still love the professional looking results I get, compared to when I had to trace and hand cut involved shapes!

LOVE my BUG!

@Purple Kitty

Can you post a scan of the results you are getting, so we can have a look and help determine if it is out of the ordinary?
Purple Kitty Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:57:45 PM(UTC)
Purple Kitty

Hi TU and Scrappy Tinman,
I was kinda hoping that way at first but turns out it getting worse! Here's the picture I've try to cut using charm feature on George Basic shape and slotted, and I also try using Pooh font cart and it's terrible!!! some of the word even didn't cut through! I'm frustrated here! Maybe you guys have any idea what happened to my cricut? should I just returned it?

here's the image link : [img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/50830812@N04/5272736170/in/photostream/[/img]
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/50830812@N04/5272736448/in/photostream/[/img]

File Attachment(s):
scan0006.jpg (1,965kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
scan0005.jpg (1,086kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Purple Kitty Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:59:56 PM(UTC)
Purple Kitty

Or you can just click the attachment for the photos.
Thanks!
Sue
scrapalette Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 7:38:55 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18454 time(s) in 8203 post(s)
It sounds like your blade housing unit maybe installed too high. I would take it out and reinstall it.

What blade depth are you using? What is your pressure set at?

I've cut squares with pointy corners without problems. I don't have a problem with the beginning and ending points of the cut not meeting up.

Is your Cricut on a firm, flat, stable surface?
Scrappy Tinman Offline
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 7:50:05 PM(UTC)
Scrappy Tinman

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Those are about what I would have expected. But the pictures could be deceptive.

Is the housing firmly installed. Give the silver screw a good twist to be sure that the blade is not wobbling in the housing while it cuts. The fact you see it as getting worse would make me believe that the housing is loose.

Cutting through is a different problem... I agree with scrapalette the blade may be too high. You may also have to use multi cut and increase the size of the shape. letters and the pooh cartridge do not cut well small say 1 1/2".

Stick with it... it is worth it. If I can get to it, I will try to cut a charm on George and see what I end up with tomorrow.
Purple Kitty Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:13:30 AM(UTC)
Purple Kitty

@Scrapalette : I put my cricut on a table so it's firm, flat and stable surface. I cut this using cardstock so I cut it with blade depth 5 9coz I try at 4 before it won't cut) and I set pressure at 5, speed at 2. I don't understand about installing blade housing too high or not, can you advise how it's like? 'cause I just put the housing as per the instruction and the arrow facing toward me.

@Scrappy Tinman : I cut the font at 2" but some of the shape I cut at 1.5". Thanks so much for trying with your cricut too, let me know the result. I'm planning to stick with it cause I love the idea of cricut and I even already bought Gypsy to play with it, so I really really need to get this solve. Thanks for your advise.