Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MeredithKeebler Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 1:57:22 AM(UTC)
MeredithKeebler

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
...just how much I wanted a Cricut 'thing'. I don't scrapbook. Why would I need that?
Perusing through the Black Friday ads for Wal-Mart.. page after page and I kept coming back to the Cricut Expressions machine. Over. And over. I kept flipping back to it.

I turned thirty this year and just took up beading. I love beading. I do not need this thing. Right?

My husband and I started shopping at Midnight late Thursday or early Friday.. however you look at it. We had a few hours to kill after we finished at one Wal-Mart (no Cricut Expression purchased). So, we drove to another Wal-Mart in search of a Leapster for my niece. Found it there! Finished up our purchase and on the way out we passed a huge stack of these things. I do not need that. I do not scrapbook. Eh hem. We left.

Over to Michael's for their opening because they had BEADS! Loads of beads. On sale! Woo! And there at the entrance were all of these cartridges for that thing that I do not need. Nor do I want it. I do not scrapbook. Pshaw! Don't need cartridges for something I don't own. I snag up a few strings of beads and off to the register we go. I was TRIUMPHANT! I had the beads I wanted for an awesome price.

As we are at the register, the woman in front of us has loooooaaaads of those cartridges and on the bottom of her buggy is a Cricut machine. For sixty dollars. $59.97 v1 Cricut is what the tag said. I politely asked her where she picked it up from. She pointed and then casually mentioned "It's the last one though. It's for my daughter. She LOVES this scrapbooking stuff!" To which I reply, "Oh, I don't scrapbook."

I was insanely jealous of this woman with that thing I did not need nor want. She had one. For sixty dollars!!! And I did not.

Dear Husband of mine... oh, I do love him. He drove me straight to another Wal-Mart (three in one day now during Black Friday) and told me to buy the machine there. I did. And two of those cartridges (Jolly Holiday and Cupcake - Lite). And then we went back to Michael's and he bought me Paper Lace. The machine at Wal-Mart came with Playtime and Cricut Classic Font.

So, I've watched the video. I've played with it a little. In the video, the ladies show this super cute beginner's card with an envelope. Because this Expressions machine came from a special buy, it did not include the 'basic' thing that it normally comes with.
None of the cartridges I have show me what a normal card looks like, or has an envelope template.

Would anyone be so kind as to please tell me what cartridge is supposed to come with the Expressions machine... and where I might find it? For this thing? That I do not need? Nor want? ;)

<3,
Meredith
KarenDKrafter Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:30:58 AM(UTC)
KarenDKrafter

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 219 post(s)
Congrats on your Expression purchase. I don't scrapbook much either. I craft... I've made vinyl signs, banners, invitations, cards, and more. All made using my Expression. Every machine come with some sort of cart to get you started. Mine came with Platin, some have come with George, It just depends on where you buy your machine and what bundle is included. There a several carts that have envelopes on them. The carts that first come to mind is Wildcard or Just Because. They both have card and envelopes on them. Anyways Welcome to the message board!
SoonerMT Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:33:53 AM(UTC)
SoonerMT

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 89 post(s)
Congratulations!!

Ah, I remember when I first got my first machine. The innocence, the expectancy... ;-)

Now, here I am years later, and I have two machines, more carts that I care to count, and tons of other crafting supplies in my craft room that make that side of the house sink!!!

As Karen said, some of the carts come with specific cards and envelopes. Most carts have just images and fonts, but you can use these in endless ways to make cards and scrapbook pages. This is what I do. I use the standard A2 sized card for 99% of my projects. This is 5-1/2 x 4-1/2 which is an 8-1/2 x 11 size piece of cardstock cut in half!! You can buy envelopes anywhere - Walmart, Office supply stores, StampinUp, or online. Just look for A2 sized envelopes.

Another helpful way to get started is to check out the blogs of many of the members of this board. The ideas are amazing. Some even have video tutorials. Here are a couple good ones:
http://okieladybugsscrapnmore.blogspot.com/
http://www.creationswithchristina.com/
http://www.cricutholiday.com/
http://mypinkstamper.com

You can also visit my blog at http://paperrenee.com. I have videos and projects as well. Not nearly in the same league as these ladies, but I have so much fun with my Cricut that I have to share.

Welcome to the "sisterhood!!!"

Scrappy Tinman Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:09:21 AM(UTC)
Scrappy Tinman

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
What a great story....When you are a hard core scrapper like the rest of us we will love to hear how you got started. this is just a hunch but see if the basic shape aren't included in the shift on the cricut font cart. It seems strange to me that there wouldn't be any basic shapes on the cartridges that are included with the E. Have fun getting to know you new toy!
ShawnMosch Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:54:26 AM(UTC)
ShawnMosch

Was thanked: 844 time(s) in 287 post(s)
What a great story, and what a great husband to drive around to all of those stores on Black Friday!

You are going to LOVE your Cricut! If you want to get inspired on some projects to make, there is a Blog Hop starting in a matter of minutes . . . the Christmas Card Blog Hop. Start at www.craftycardgallery.blogspot.com and you will see a listing to take you to another blog . . . and that one takes you to another . . .

Again . . . enjoy your new Cricut!
MeredithKeebler Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:37:05 AM(UTC)
MeredithKeebler

*is blog hopping - see you NEXT December* BigGrin
AmandaSmith23 Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:21:58 AM(UTC)
AmandaSmith23

Was thanked: 476 time(s) in 296 post(s)
I love this story! I have the Cricut Create and kept thinking that I needed that plum Expression. I don't really know why, except that it was a great price and my favorite color! The most ironic thing that I find in your story is that you got the Jolly Holiday cartridge--so many people on the boards were talking about not getting it and you get it--on your third trip to Walmart!

Hope you enjoy your machine and have lotsa fun!
MarieM Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:23:17 AM(UTC)
MarieM

Was thanked: 365 time(s) in 348 post(s)
I bought my original baby bug because I was sick of cutting out letters for my son's science fair project. I was not a scrapper either. So I started making cards. Boy was that fun. Then I started making mini-albums. Even more fun. Now almost two years later, my son's science fair topics are sentences long, and I have put vinyl on anything that doesn't move. Have fun with your new toy.
COWStamper Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:03:42 PM(UTC)
COWStamper

Was thanked: 512 time(s) in 354 post(s)

My husband and I laughed all the way through your post! Mine is like yours, a wonderful, sweet generous enabler. Like you I don't scrapbook either. I have been using rubber stamps to make cards for years.

I never wanted any of the Cricut machines. Didn't think I needed them either. HA! He watched the infomercials and talked about it for a year. Got me to order one. It sat it the box for 2 years, unopened. I finally gave it to my sister! When she opened it at my house and we figured out what it could do, I was sold. Now I have everything Provo Craft makes!

Have fun, buy all the cartridges you can and post pictures soon so we can oooh and ahhhh!BigGrin LOL LOL BigGrin

MeredithKeebler Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:32:35 PM(UTC)
MeredithKeebler

Oh! I couldn't wait for an eBay auction to end for a cartridge with an envelope and card template. Back to Wal-Mart I went. Wound up getting Slumber Party - Lite for 25.00.

I did notice they had PLENTY of Jolly Holiday here. If anyone needs one, IM me? I have an eBay account so you can at least peek at feedback and see that I am a genuine person - not a bot and not out to scam or anything. :)

<3,
Meredith