Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

BrandeeRandall Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:45:51 AM(UTC)
BrandeeRandall

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone have tips or ideas on how I can stop ripping my cut-outs every time I take them off. Its almost like my new mats are to sticky, I'm using tools to get them off the mats and they are still ripping. I have used a friends Cricut Expression and I never had this happen before. Any help would be fantastic!
Sassafras Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:29:10 AM(UTC)
Sassafras

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I hate that I have to share this idea, because mats never seem to last long enough... but when my new mats are too sticky I "hug" them. Rub them on my shirt just a little. The lint/fibers stick to it and make it less sticky. But mats never seem to last long enough so it stinks to have to advance that "wearing out"... but it's what I have had to do to save my cut outs...
BoomerKnows Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:14:37 PM(UTC)
BoomerKnows

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 1612 time(s) in 1132 post(s)
I save new mats for cardstock first. A good trick is to peel the mat away from the paper to help reduce the paper curling. Once a mat has been used 6-12 times its not as sticky for lighter weight paper. Eventually it is too linted up to have much stick. I have been washing them in the sink with a dot of dish soap to get the paper fibres off & voila, they are sticky again after a drip dry overnight in the drying rack. Other people have been getting good results wiping mats with a non-alcohol baby wipe. It also helps to keep your mats numbered so you know which ones are oldest or annoying. Rotating them each use also helps reduce the mat curling factor. I have ironed the curl out with a low heat iron & parchment paper barrier to get rid of the curling. Beware, if your iron is too hot the mat gets warped & then is garbage Blink Putting a sticker or using a permanent marker to mark the top side of the clear cover it will keep your mat lasting longer. The clear cover side that goes to the mat has some kind of coating that repels permanent marker. Hanging up the clear covers keeps them from vanishing in the craft pile, or floor! The old MB had a hilarious thread about slipping on the darned things!

I hope this helps, this was all stuff I learned as a newbie from the old MB & has helped a lot.
Karen