Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

abrya7he Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:48:53 PM(UTC)
abrya7he

Groups: Registered

Huh Everyone is creating these beautiful projects with their Cricut. I'm new to the whole Cricut experience... I own an Expressions machine. My question is how do you create an image with colorful components?? Do you have to cut each image with all the different color paper you plan to use?? And then layer the pieces?? There has to be an easier way, RIGHTTTTTTT??
Britt Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, November 08, 2010 10:04:12 PM(UTC)
Britt

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You are correct! To get the different colors you need to cut all the different layers out in different papers. Some carts are very easy to layer while some have tiny, tiny pieces. It just depends. And cutting a larger size image will make the layers easier as well. HTH
AmandaSmith23 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 6:26:44 AM(UTC)
AmandaSmith23

Was thanked: 476 time(s) in 296 post(s)
If you get Cricut Design Studio, you can hide the parts that you don't want and only cut certain parts in a specific color. For example, if you are layering a cupcake that has the top and a candle, you can hide the candle and cut the top in one color then hide the top and cut the candle in another color. I love it and it saves me a lot of paper!
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:51:47 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 799 time(s) in 449 post(s)
The others have good info. Let me give you an example - I'll use the Lite Bloom Cart because that's the one I'm most familiar with.

There is a sweet birdcage with a butterfly (back of box - first image on third row). I find the right button on the keypad overlay, and put gold paper on my mat. Select the size, press the <birdcage3> button, and load my mat and cut. Take out the mat, retrieve my image and clean the mat, then put the color I want for the dots on the butterfly on the mat, leave the size the same - this is important! - and press <birdcage3 -shift> and cut. This will only cut the underneath layer of the butterfly. Then change colors again, select <birdcage3-layer> layer is in the top left corner for Lites - and cut the main color for your butterfly. Finally, since I used gold paper for the birdcage, and I want it to pop off the page or card, I put black paper on my mat and press <birdcage3-layer-shift> and cut once more. This cuts the black shadow shown on the folder in the cart box.

Note that for the butterfly colors, all I cut was the solid butterfly and the butterfly with holes in its wings to show the underneath paper.

Some of the older carts, and the Disney carts with lots of colors, you can end up with a lot of scrap cuts. But I can also use my Gypsy to get around that. In Tie the Knot, there is an image called <datenight> - a boy and girl seated at a little table. All the layers are in one or two cuts. I put the layers image on my Gypsy, set to the size I needed to cut, and used scraps to cover the different areas. Like, I put a blue scrap about 1" square where the boy's shirt was on the mat, using the grid line on the G and the mat to get it in the right place. When I had all my papers in a funny-looking collage to cover the area of the whole image, I put my mat in and cut. Just be sure to cover the entire area of the cut, or your blade will cut your mat.

Sometimes you have to get creative, but there's more than one way to skin a cat!!
Alicia Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:18:46 PM(UTC)
Alicia

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Great info! Thanks