Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Snowmanlover Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 6:56:31 AM(UTC)
Snowmanlover

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 135 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Crying Charlie Horses- ugh!
I know they are caused my mineral deficienies such as calcium, magnesium and potassium but I have been having them almost nightly over the past week or more in my foot and sometimes my calf.

I had these often as a child and my doctor told me more milk and to stretch my toes every night before bed, stretch and flex, stretch and flex and I have done that every night most of my life.

I just can't figure out where this is coming from. I am drinking more water than usual. I drink lots of milk, I do not take vitamins though.

I am almost afraid to go to bed. Last night was REALLY bad. My toes totally spread apart. I read that too much activity can cause it but I have been sick for a week and have had no activity other than sitting on this computer. I wonder if lack of activity could cause that?

My foot and calf are still sore this morning. I do have something wrong with that right leg and have had a cortisone shot in it about two months ago.

I just like to try to figure things out and always want to know why.

Any suggestions to avoid these things?
I do the water, the milk, I am now eating a banana daily. I stretch each day. I WILL add vitamins ( yeah sure)- any other suggestions?

TIA!! barb
TammiK Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 7:36:01 AM(UTC)
TammiK

Was thanked: 435 time(s) in 346 post(s)
OUCH! They do hurt, and I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with them. I'm no help as far as what to do, but I do have a not so funny for me story to share...

When I had my 2nd c-section I got to my room and settled in a bit and then the nurse comes in to get you up and walking hours after you've been sliced open, it doesn't sound appealing in the least. As I was trying my hardest to swing my legs over the edge of the bed I got a full blown charlie horse in the bottom of my foot! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Of all the times to get one! LOL The nurse was wonderful though and massaged me for about 15 minutes. :)

Good luck with your charlie horses! My mom always told me I needed to eat more bananas! LOL
Snowmanlover Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 7:50:54 AM(UTC)
Snowmanlover

Oh no!! I had that happen to me in the OB office with a Med Student there. That was so embarrassing! I forgot about that until you mentioned your story!!
Well thanks for making me laugh!
TSHREVE Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 9:53:59 AM(UTC)
TSHREVE

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 232 post(s)
BAKING SODA is the answer to your prayers....I swear it works................
I went through a period of time where I was constantly getting them in my calves and my leg was so sore all the time. Well I got a really BAD one at work one day and it was NOT going away....so my coworker (who used to be a registered nurse) ran up to the store and came back with Baking Soda...put a large tablespoon of it in a small amount of water and made me drink it. YUCK! it was horrible. But within minutes the Charlie Horse went away and the best part is.......no soreness left over from where it had been. I know this sounds crazy.....but I swear it works EVERY time. Don't know why...but it does. Now I keep a box of baking soda in the medicine cabinet in case I wake up in the middle of the night with a charlie horse.

Of course you need to cut down on soda....eat bananas and take vitamins and all that other stuff....Baking soda does not PREVENT charlie horses.....just immediately eases the pain and makes them go down right away. It's an emergency fix, and it works. Give it a try.

Edited by user Monday, October 18, 2010 9:59:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked TSHREVE for this useful post.
Snowmanlover on 10/18/2010(UTC)
Snowmanlover Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 12:58:34 PM(UTC)
Snowmanlover

Thank you so much T. I am going to have some by my beside with a glass of water ready. I will wake up my hubby if it happens. IF why say if, it has happened every night since I got sick last week and I can feel one coming on tonight, my foot has been twitching all day.

I ate two bannnas and lots of milk today and some home made chicken noodle soup. I will try to take a vitamin and drink lots of water too. These are lasting much longer than normal and really really hurt!
Thank YOU so much!