Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ylrosebud270 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 10:15:54 AM(UTC)
ylrosebud270

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I have just started using the PriamColor pencils w/Gamsol. LOL I tend to have a heavy hand when coloring. And forget the shadowing LOL LOL . Although people that get my stuff say like them. I am by no means an expert like so many here on coloring. But I am loving the look of some of the markers some of you use. Can you explain the difference in the Copic Ciao & Sketch which to get.
As I can tell that the ProMarkers are much cheaper but are they OK. Hate to spend the money and they are not similar to the Copic. Any thought on the Prismacolor markers? Thanks, Rose.
Enfys Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 11:50:21 AM(UTC)
Enfys

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1669 time(s) in 515 post(s)
Alcohol (solvent) markers lay down a transluscent wash of colour that you build up to get shade and shadows. It's a fascinating technique and gives very professional results. There are loads of you tube tutorials out there on colouring - I have a promarker one on my blog.

Copic are alcohol markers, from Japan. The sketch hold more ink and are an oval shape. Ciao are the original round shape. Both have a brush nib and a wedge shaped nib. They are refillable, the downside of that being that each refill ink costs around $5. They sell for around $5 a pen

Promarkers are alcohol markers also, made by UK company Letraset. They are not refillable, but hold a lot more ink than the copics, so last longer. They have a fine bullet nib, and a wedge. I use these markers, and much prefer them, I find the fine nib much easier to colour tiny detail on stamped images. They sell for about $1.50 online from Carpediemstore.com

Prisma markers are also alcohol based markers, they are available in michaels at around $4.80 a pen, but they only cary a very limited range of colours.

I hope this helps, I have a list of 24 starter colours for the promarkers, and another list of the next 24.
 6 users thanked Enfys for this useful post.
colorjunkyarts on 10/9/2010(UTC), LaurieinAz on 10/9/2010(UTC), ylrosebud270 on 10/9/2010(UTC), Zoe on 10/9/2010(UTC), Papercuts on 10/12/2010(UTC), *DebbyS* on 10/12/2010(UTC)
Enfys Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 12:03:35 PM(UTC)
Enfys

United Kingdom

I decided to list the starter colours on this thread. The first 24 markers give you the colours to colour skin tones, yellow hair, brown hair, brown fur, grey fur, and all the colours you need for flowers/clothes etc.
The second set are all paired colours that work together to add shade and depth to your image.
Set 1
blush
soft peach
ivory
buttercup
mustard
sandstone
apricot
umber
warm grey 3 & 5
Ice grey 1 & 3
lime green
meadow green
apple green
pastel green
blue pearl
powder blue
bluebell
lavender
orchid
pink carnation
blossom
baby pink
blender

Set 2
poppy
dusky rose
antique pink
cobalt blue
sky blue
pear green
marsh green
pale pink
putty
pastel beige
oatmeal
terracotta
satin
primrose
lemon
tan
caramel
vanilla
honeycomb
pastel yellow
 6 users thanked Enfys for this useful post.
SwimMom on 10/9/2010(UTC), colorjunkyarts on 10/9/2010(UTC), FootballMom on 10/9/2010(UTC), ylrosebud270 on 10/9/2010(UTC), grammasue on 10/9/2010(UTC), *DebbyS* on 10/12/2010(UTC)
SwimMom Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 12:52:42 PM(UTC)
SwimMom

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Oooh - thanks, Enfys!
I need to compare this list to what I have so I can start my wish list for my next order!
Enfys Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 6:39:34 PM(UTC)
Enfys

United Kingdom

bumpingBigGrin
Jen Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 7:35:34 PM(UTC)
Jen

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Thank you, I remember seeing these posted on the old message board. I love the look of the copics but just can not justify the cost. I am going to check these out now. Now this question may seem silly but I will ask any way, is there a certain kind of paper to use when using these markers? If so where is the best place to get it?

Edited by user Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:47:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ylrosebud270 Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 7:52:35 PM(UTC)
ylrosebud270

Thank you Enfys. Love Love Love your Blog. I'll keep checking into it all. Maybe start off with the ProMarkers first (since they are cheaper) when I'm ready. Just a little scared about it all. Don't want to invest money in markers just to collect dust. have enough other stuff doing that LOL Thanks again. Rose.
ylrosebud270 Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:26:43 PM(UTC)
ylrosebud270

Can you use them with Diggi Stamps or will the Markers make the printer ink run? What kind of ink pad do you use with your rubber stamps to use the Markers?
~tallulah~ Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:47:31 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
i guess i'll be the odd one. i love the copics. i have mostly the sketch but i do have a few caios because i bought them from a person and the deal was too good to pass up.

i do know the copics are more expensive. i have been getting mine from terri at stampsalive. great sale price! $3.96 for the sketch!

in my research the thing i kept coming back to was that the copics are refillable. no matter how long i keep them i won't be chucking more plastic in to the trash.

and since they are refillable i can actually make a color (with an empty marker, they sell those) if i find i need a color in between two that they make. i saw this on youtube and i couldn't believe how that worked.

also i love the sketch markers. there's just something about the oval and i love it. and i love having the number on the end of the marker. makes it so easy to find the right marker.

that said i guess it's a subjective choice...lol.

oh, lots of people use the digi stamps. but it may depend on what kind of printer you have.

this site has been very helpful to me.

Edited by user Saturday, October 09, 2010 8:49:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked ~tallulah~ for this useful post.
ylrosebud270 on 10/9/2010(UTC)
ylrosebud270 Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:05:54 PM(UTC)
ylrosebud270

Thank you talulah.
grammasue Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:23:51 PM(UTC)
grammasue

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 265 post(s)
SwimMom wrote:
Oooh - thanks, Enfys!
I need to compare this list to what I have so I can start my wish list for my next order!

Me too. Since I don't have any talent in this area, I chose to go with the cheaper markers and got Promarkers which I do like alot. I just need to practice....practice....practice. I am however having trouble finding a source here in the US for the airbrush for the Pro-markers. Anyone know where I can order it.
Enfys Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:12:00 PM(UTC)
Enfys

United Kingdom

grammasue wrote:
Me too. Since I don't have any talent in this area, I chose to go with the cheaper markers and got Promarkers which I do like alot. I just need to practice....practice....practice. I am however having trouble finding a source here in the US for the airbrush for the Pro-markers. Anyone know where I can order it.

It's only just coming out. They haven't sent me one yet, I will let you know as soon as possible where you can get it.
Enfys Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:13:32 PM(UTC)
Enfys

United Kingdom

ylrosebud270 wrote:
Can you use them with Diggi Stamps or will the Markers make the printer ink run? What kind of ink pad do you use with your rubber stamps to use the Markers?

I use my promarkers with digi stuff all the time (I am 2 digi DT's). If I am stamping, I use memento tuxedo black ink pad.
Enfys Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:15:33 PM(UTC)
Enfys

United Kingdom

ylrosebud270 wrote:
Thank you Enfys. Love Love Love your Blog. I'll keep checking into it all. Maybe start off with the ProMarkers first (since they are cheaper) when I'm ready. Just a little scared about it all. Don't want to invest money in markers just to collect dust. have enough other stuff doing that LOL Thanks again. Rose.

I am having a blog candy giveaway on my blog this week, promarkers feature in it.
Enfys Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:18:00 PM(UTC)
Enfys

United Kingdom

Jen wrote:
Thank you, I remember seeing these posted on the old message board. I love the look of the copics but just can not justify the cost. I am going to check these out now. Now this question may seem silly but I will ask any way, is there a certain kind of paper to use when using these markers? If so where is the best place to get it?

I use the georgia pacific white cardstock from walmart, about 500 sheets for around $5. It's smooth and takes the ink very well. Just remember that it is normal for the ink to bleed to the back of your cardstock, I always stamp the image, then layer it onto the card base.
~tallulah~ Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:29:57 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
i use the gp paper from wm too...but i was having trouble with feathering and someone told me my paper may be too soft...to try the ginak or something else...from what i can tell something slicker. but the paper is a lot more expensive than the gp. so i'm trying a lighter touch with my markers to see if that helps. lol. i love the price of the gp paper...plus my dh works for gp so i kinda like buying it from them! lol.
ColorQueen Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2010 7:37:42 PM(UTC)
ColorQueen

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I just brought a bunch of copic sketch marks and have been doing research on the best papers to use with copics. I just purchased 3 brands of cardstock... Pure Luxury card stock white heavy base weight 120lb by Gina K, Cryogen White and Neenah Solar White from Paper Temptress.
Here are the links:

https://www.papertemptre.../results.php?category=54

http://www.shop.ginakdes...Id=278&categoryId=68
Jen Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:56:21 AM(UTC)
Jen

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Thank you. I saw paper on the marker site and was not sure if I should buy something different. I do have the becket radiance paper for working with my colored pencils. I also have the GP paper as well.

I have also seen some people use the distressed ink and a brush. I guess this would be an option as well. But a nice set of markers that are affordable is a plus.

Enfys wrote:
I use the georgia pacific white cardstock from walmart, about 500 sheets for around $5. It's smooth and takes the ink very well. Just remember that it is normal for the ink to bleed to the back of your cardstock, I always stamp the image, then layer it onto the card base.

faeriegirl Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:38:06 PM(UTC)
faeriegirl

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I love my copics also. Have been using them for a few months now. I honestly dont like using a cardstock. I use Hp 32# premium laser paper for my copics this paper works great and i dont have much feathering when I am coloring. I started using the neenah paper but i didnt really care for it.