Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

farmscraps Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 11:26:43 AM(UTC)
farmscraps

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 249 post(s)
OK I have a question and I hope I can explain myself easy enough..BigGrin

I want to make a shaped card using my Gypsy.. so my ?? is do I have to cut the layers out not using the G only my E? So they match up properly? Like if I make a 5 inch shaped cupcake will my layered parts be 5inches or smaller??

TIABigGrin
~tallulah~ Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:37:59 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
pretty sure you have to use the real size dial to make the layers work for the size image you use. i'm going to assume you can do so on the g or the e...but if i were using the g i'd just do it all on that.
farmscraps Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:36:09 PM(UTC)
farmscraps

~talulah~ wrote:
pretty sure you have to use the real size dial to make the layers work for the size image you use. i'm going to assume you can do so on the g or the e...but if i were using the g i'd just do it all on that.

I want to use my G but my confusion.. Do I use real size dial on the actual cupcake then the layering not have the real size dial on? I guess I could just try it but I dont want to spend forever working on a card on my G then the sizing be allwrong..Flapper

Thanks for the help..
~tallulah~ Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 3:53:49 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

just push the real size dial button on the g for all your images. that will make it so the layers will *fit* the image.

1 user thanked ~tallulah~ for this useful post.
farmscraps on 10/5/2010(UTC)
Ebersole68 Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:43:46 PM(UTC)
Ebersole68

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Also make sure that the item you want the layers to "fit" is highlighted (blue)
Princessaam Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:52:45 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
The easiest way to make sure your cupcake layers correctly is

Real Dial size OFF ( this will make all your pieces 5 inches. that's the REAL SIZE)

Pick ALL the pieces of the cupcake into the Queue at the same time. This will put them all in the same box.

NOW, select ALL piece, and the size the HEIGHT of your Cupcake to 5 inches.

Everything is now in proportion to the 5 inch cupcake.

Now you can split the pieces to place them so you can cut the various layers at once.

~M
farmscraps Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:19:00 PM(UTC)
farmscraps

thank you ladies.. I havent tried it yet..I have been sick all day but I think I am going to head to bed with my G and try this and cut it out in the morning.
Thanks againBigGrin
~tallulah~ Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:46:25 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Princessaam wrote:
The easiest way to make sure your cupcake layers correctly is

Real Dial size OFF ( this will make all your pieces 5 inches. that's the REAL SIZE)

Pick ALL the pieces of the cupcake into the Queue at the same time. This will put them all in the same box.

NOW, select ALL piece, and the size the HEIGHT of your Cupcake to 5 inches.

Everything is now in proportion to the 5 inch cupcake.

Now you can split the pieces to place them so you can cut the various layers at once.

~M

i thought if the real size dial was off then all the pieces would be 5 inches...not all the pieces would fit on the 5 inch image but each piece of the layer would also be 5 inches?

op i hope you feel better soon...let us know what works! lolLaugh

Edited by user Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:46:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TheBugBytes Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 6:41:03 AM(UTC)
TheBugBytes

Was thanked: 1539 time(s) in 876 post(s)
~talulah~ wrote:

i thought if the real size dial was off then all the pieces would be 5 inches...not all the pieces would fit on the 5 inch image but each piece of the layer would also be 5 inches?

op i hope you feel better soon...let us know what works! lolLaugh

If real dial size is Off that is the a button is not lit then all will be layered ie if you choose paper doll to be 5 inches it's dress will fit perfectly and so will it's eyes etc
But if you set the real dial size ON then it's dress will be 5 inches exact and will not fit.

Also now as to the original question when you have the real dial size off the size is of the selection box and not the image itself so even though the selection box does g arund close to the main image(not the layers) it will be not exact and there will be some discrepency.
So if you need exact size then first set the real dial size ON - for the main layer and choose the main image and then set the size to what you want. Then set the real dial size off (image should be blue and still selected and the golden chain still yellow.You will find that the height changes . Note this number down - important. Then tap out to free area of mat and set the height to this noted height(width will be ) as you are setting the height of cursor). Then select the rest of the images.

Hope this helps
willieehrlich1 Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 10:02:18 AM(UTC)
willieehrlich1

TheBugBytes wrote:
If real dial size is Off that is the a button is not lit then all will be layered ie if you choose paper doll to be 5 inches it's dress will fit perfectly and so will it's eyes etc
But if you set the real dial size ON then it's dress will be 5 inches exact and will not fit.

Also now as to the original question when you have the real dial size off the size is of the selection box and not the image itself so even though the selection box does g arund close to the main image(not the layers) it will be not exact and there will be some discrepency.
So if you need exact size then first set the real dial size ON - for the main layer and choose the main image and then set the size to what you want. Then set the real dial size off (image should be blue and still selected and the golden chain still yellow.You will find that the height changes . Note this number down - important. Then tap out to free area of mat and set the height to this noted height(width will be ) as you are setting the height of cursor). Then select the rest of the images.

Hope this helps

I am having confusion with this too and have read your step by step post but have one more ?...
for layers 2 - 4 is the real size button on?

Thank you for your info,
Willie E
TheBugBytes Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 3:31:57 PM(UTC)
TheBugBytes

Was thanked: 1539 time(s) in 876 post(s)
willieehrlich1 wrote:
I am having confusion with this too and have read your step by step post but have one more ?...
for layers 2 - 4 is the real size button on?

Thank you for your info,
Willie E

Now I am confused my dear. If layers by that do you mean the page shown on the top? ie the tabs on the mat?
If so then those are just different cutting mats which are there to help keep your all mats for a single project in a single file and easy to design as each mat can become a template for the next so that you can see where to place the image
If by layers you mean like dress for paper doll and then hair etc all accesories shown in cartridge booklet then the real dial size off is rather like the regular way the cricut works
The main image has a size and rest all fit in.
You can set the cursor to size 5 and then main image will be (almost very very nearly and sometimes exact too) 5 inches and all the rest will fit the main image if they were designed to do so (look at the cartridge booklet)
~tallulah~ Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 6:53:28 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

pam i think she means all the steps/layers after "So if you need exact size then first set the real dial size ON - for the main layer and choose the main image and then set the size to what you want."
farmscraps Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:07:36 PM(UTC)
farmscraps

I havent tried yet.. Life got in the way today.BigGrin But what I am understanding it is like the E without the G.. if you have 5inches for the cupcake then with the real size dial off for the layers they will fit proportionate to the the 5inch cupcake.. Because I dont want the "cherry on top" cut at 5 inches which would be the same size as the whole cupcake..

thanks again for the advice.. when I get around to my card I will let you know how it worked...
Princessaam Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 9:24:52 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

farmscraps wrote:
I havent tried yet.. Life got in the way today.BigGrin But what I am understanding it is like the E without the G.. if you have 5inches for the cupcake then with the real size dial off for the layers they will fit proportionate to the the 5inch cupcake.. Because I dont want the "cherry on top" cut at 5 inches which would be the same size as the whole cupcake..

thanks again for the advice.. when I get around to my card I will let you know how it worked...

DING DING DING!!!!

The Real Dial Size button is the exact same thing on the G and it is on the E.

~M
CanadianRose Online
#15 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 11:46:37 AM(UTC)
CanadianRose

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 578 time(s) in 347 post(s)
Take out one of the booklets that comes with the carts. There is an illustrated explanation of Real Size. DON'T use it for layering! As per the explanation for the doll, if you cut the doll at 5 inches, say, and have the Real Size on, then everything else will cut at 5 inches. Eyes will be 5 inches, shoes will be 5 inches, clothes will be 5 inches etc. With the Real Size OFF, they will cut in proportion to the doll, the eyes will be the right size to fit the doll, as will the clothes, shoes etc.

http://www.cricut.com/re...oks/JustBecauseCards.pdf

will show what I mean Smile

Edited by user Monday, October 11, 2010 11:49:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked CanadianRose for this useful post.
HiGhLaNdEyEs on 10/12/2010(UTC)
~tallulah~ Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 12:25:49 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

sorry for giving the wrong info. glad you didn't try it and ruin more paper.
DeeScraps Online
#17 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 1:38:23 PM(UTC)
DeeScraps

Was thanked: 706 time(s) in 538 post(s)
Thanks everyone for doing such a good job of explaining this. I'm new to E. and the G. so this information is a big help. What you are saying makes sense, but when would you use "true size?"

Dee
Princessaam Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 3:06:00 PM(UTC)
Princessaam

You would use real Size if you want something that would normally be part of another object at a certian size for stand alone use.

Like you have a princess. You want to use her crown. BUT that's ALL you want and you want it at 6 inches. If you make it at 6 inches with the Real Size OFF.. you'll get a crown that will fit a 6 inch princess ( about an inch or two) but with it ON you'll get a 6 inch crown.

With the Gypsy this isn't as important since you can see your size but if you want ot use the measurement adjustments you'll need the real size on because the measurement will be for the ENTIRE BOX not the item. Click on and off the Real Dial Size button to see what I'm talking about. Watch the selection box.

The real Dial Size is important when just using the E alone. It won't know the difference otherwise.

~M

Edited by user Monday, October 11, 2010 3:06:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DeeScraps Online
#19 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 7:01:37 PM(UTC)
DeeScraps

Thanks for explaining that.

Last night I was trying to combine a 4-inch circle with a 1-inch rectangle going across one end. I got them to overlap OK, but I had no luck in trying the hide the lines I didn't want cut. I wanted to end up with a flat shell shape, which I had hopes of using in a shell album. I thought it would be so much easier to weld the shapes and then cut them all at one time. I should probably post this as a new thread, but if you can help that would be great.

Thanks,

Dee
Princessaam Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:20:05 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Group them then weld them. Then hit Preview and see if it worked... should be fine.

~M
DeeScraps Online
#21 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:08:13 AM(UTC)
DeeScraps

I'm not sure I understand this. In reading the manual it says to remove the overlaping lines or am I misunderstanding their instructios?

Dee
Princessaam Offline
#22 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:12:28 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

ignore them. They have no idea what they are talking about.

Take your Circle overlap the Rectangle where you want it. Group them together. Now, use the welding button. They are now one piece shaped like a shell.

That will "remove" the overlapping lines.

~M