Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

VickyLyneQ Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:37:57 AM(UTC)
VickyLyneQ

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone! I'm new here and just getting back into crafting. My scrapping supplies have been packed up for a few years and I finally have a place all of my own again to pull it all out! I'm interested in an Expression and I have found what look like great deals on Ebay but I have a question or two first and I was directed here from some old AOL boardies.

Are there different models of the Expression? I mean as time has passed have they updated the actual Expression machine? I notice some of the ads and ebay auctions say it has six new time saving modes with four creative functions; larger LCD display; heavy duty construction; the new eight way navigation blade; and four languages with a metric option... Are these features that have been added over time to the Expression?

Also for those of you that have bought your Cricut on Ebay do you have any tips or maybe a favorite seller?

Thank you!
BCSQ Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:53:37 AM(UTC)
BCSQ

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 653 time(s) in 592 post(s)
there are different colors of Exxpressions but not different models. They all do the same thing. The only thing they update is the Disign Studio and they gypsy. They update these when they come out with new carts. All of those features come with the machine. They are built it you don't have to do any thing to get them.

the 6 time saving modes are portrait, mix and match,quantity,fill the pagefit to lenght and auto fill.

Hope that helps.
lehighalums Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:47:33 AM(UTC)
lehighalums

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I bought my and my mom's Expression on ebay for $130-ish, and the reason I did it instead of buying it in the store was I wasn't sure how much we'd use them. I didn't want to spend $250-300 and not use it. Also, we saw the Create version, which is what we originally wanted, was $138 in stores and not much less online - we figured for $130 we'd get the full size machine with the extra features.

When I was buying it a while back, there were different deals with each machine and that is what made the price different. We both bought the deal that was just the machine, spatula and one mat. Other package deals were you get two cartridges or four cartridges or more mats. I didn't always like the carts they offered with the machine, so we just bought the machine only and then bought cartridges we wanted later.

We had no issues with the people we bought them from, though I did have issues a while back buying carts from the same sellers - I know there were postings that other people had issues with ebay sellers too.

All in all, I'd buy a machine on ebay again because (1) you're protected if you pay via paypal or your credit card and (2) you can save a lot of money. If you don't know how much you'll use it or you just want to try it out, it's worth saving the money. Hope that helps!

VickyLyneQ Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:41:31 AM(UTC)
VickyLyneQ

Ah so no difference at all other than color in various Expressions. That is good to know! I didn't want to buy one and then find out there are differences. Another thing I am wondering is if there will be great deals around the holidays. I love being able to make my own embellishments so having this would be a huge plus and time saver.. I might get some things actually done!

And to expand on this.. I am a Cricut newby so I don't have money in any of the other machines... I am wondering if I should start watching the prices on an Imagine.. But it doesn't cut chipboard and I do like that idea. Ay yi yi so many decisions.. lol Do you like cutting chipboard? I think that would be a plus although I don't have any chipboard in my albums.. lol I probably never used any because I made all of my embellishments and had no way to cut it. Does anyone have an Imagine? they are just so pricey and probably use a fair amount of ink... I worry that I would feel like I didn't use it often enough. Can you emboss with the Imagine? My birhtday is coming up. BigGrin

lehighalums you got a good price. I've been looking and the machine alone is going for more than that lately.
scrapbug Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:32:38 AM(UTC)
scrapbug

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I ordered a E last week for $189 and it comes with 2 cartridges and some other stuff. best price I have found on one.
VickyLyneQ Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:35:49 AM(UTC)
VickyLyneQ

scrapbug wrote:
I ordered a E last week for $189 and it comes with 2 cartridges and some other stuff. best price I have found on one.

Was this on Ebay or another website?
scrapsprite Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:18:57 PM(UTC)
scrapsprite

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Vicky just my advice if you decide to buy an E on Ebay. I know that many people have happily bought their machines on Ebay but just make sure to check out who you are buying it from and make sure they are an authorized Cricut dealer otherwise your warranty could be invalid. I had this happen with an Ebay seller and after questioning him further about the warranty, the seller was nice enough to refund my money because he wasn't an authorized Cricut dealer. Somewhere in PC's fine print in the warranty they mention this.

I finally ended up buying mine through on online retailer after calling PC and confirming that they were an authorized dealer. I just hate to see anyone get misled on Ebay.
scrapbug Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:59:51 PM(UTC)
scrapbug

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 47 post(s)
VickyLyneQ wrote:
Was this on Ebay or another website?

sorry forgot to say where.. i got it at cricutmachine.com
VickyLyneQ Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:06:45 PM(UTC)
VickyLyneQ

scrapsprite wrote:
Vicky just my advice if you decide to buy an E on Ebay. I know that many people have happily bought their machines on Ebay but just make sure to check out who you are buying it from and make sure they are an authorized Cricut dealer otherwise your warranty could be invalid. I had this happen with an Ebay seller and after questioning him further about the warranty, the seller was nice enough to refund my money because he wasn't an authorized Cricut dealer. Somewhere in PC's fine print in the warranty they mention this.

I finally ended up buying mine through on online retailer after calling PC and confirming that they were an authorized dealer. I just hate to see anyone get misled on Ebay.

Thank you for the tip Scrapsprite. If I do buy one off Ebay it will be from an authorized seller specifically for the warranty issue. I've found one and I've been watching their auctions for a few days now to see what they are going for. I think some people got a little carried away on the last auction because it went for about $70 more than they had been closing at. lol
VickyLyneQ Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:27:11 PM(UTC)
VickyLyneQ

So you've got me thinking about authorized retailers. This is the message at the bottom of the auction. Is this good or is she probably not really an authorized retailer?

XXXXXXXXX is an Authorized Retailer of Provo Craft,
however we are not affiliated with Provo Craft and Novelty, Inc and their trademarks.

scrapsprite Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:17:33 PM(UTC)
scrapsprite

VickyLyneQ wrote:
So you've got me thinking about authorized retailers. This is the message at the bottom of the auction. Is this good or is she probably not really an authorized retailer?

XXXXXXXXX is an Authorized Retailer of Provo Craft,
however we are not affiliated with Provo Craft and Novelty, Inc and their trademarks.

She probably is but if you are in doubt, call PC and ask them if they know if this seller is an authorized dealer. Some of these sellers also have online stores (not through Ebay) and if you can find that out, it might help when you call PC.

PM me with the name and I'll see if I've heard of them also. Some people may call me overly cautious RollEyes but these days you just have to be careful - I have a friend who already had to have 2 E's sent back to PC under warranty because they weren't working correctly.
blessedgram24 Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:31:56 PM(UTC)
blessedgram24

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I just ordered back up expression machine ( mine is "acting" up)
I paid 232.50 for machine, 6 carts, tool kit and free shipping!
I ordered my first machine off e-bay a few years ago with no problems.
Hugs, DawnSmile
VickyLyneQ Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:57:07 PM(UTC)
VickyLyneQ

BlessedGram and Scrapsprite you both have PM's. Thank you!! I am getting excited!
scrapsprite Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:16:27 PM(UTC)
scrapsprite

I PM'ed you back!
DonnaSmith13 Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 2:17:50 AM(UTC)
DonnaSmith13

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I bought my Cricut off of ebay and I didn't have any problems at all. The one thing I've noticed since the Imagine has came out is that the prices of the Expressions on ebay have gone down...which is good for you. I almost bought the Imagine, but I thought that besides the high price to purchase it...buying the ink carts to replace when they get empty would really add to my cost of crafting since there are always good deals on paper at places like Hobby Lobby, etc. I have HP priners and the ink is expensive for them...so I know replacing HP ink on the Imagine is bound to be pricey.

I'd also like to add that buying carts off of ebay for your Cricut is a good way to go as well! I've bought LOTS of carts there and I rarely pay more than $20-$25 for one cartridge. One day I even got one for TEN DOLLARS!!! Of course it was the middle of the night, but that's when I'm up a lot. Anyway, you can usually save yourself the price of retail if you buy get them on ebay or through some online companies like cricutmachine.com. I just bought Rock Princess today for $19.95, although I had to pay shipping. Most of the people I frequent on ebay have free shipping.

I hope my rambling helps...feel free to PM if you have questions that I can answer. Although I am not as experienced as a lot of the ladies on the mb!!

Donna
LCCrafts Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, October 08, 2010 9:57:36 AM(UTC)
LCCrafts

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Dont forget that black friday is coming up, and if you buy at walmart it was $188 last year with an exclusive cartridge. some people sold the Serenade cartridge for close to $100 so that helped pay for the machine. I am thinking of picking up one this BF as a backup.