Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

BarbP Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:18:27 AM(UTC)
BarbP

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Do you need to purchase the transfer paper or does it come with the Cricut Vinyl?

I saw a video where painter's tape was used to transfer the cuts ... anyone have anything negative about using that?

Do you always need to use something to transfer the cuts - can't you just pick them off the sheet & stick them on the wall?

Thanks for the info! BigGrin
lovethatbug Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:29:36 AM(UTC)
lovethatbug

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 228 post(s)
Barb,
The transfer tape I believe is sold separate. I have always use the tape to transfer my cuts, it makes it much easier to line things up.
I have heard of others using clear contact paper to transfer, but I am not sure how this works
Stacy
 1 user thanked lovethatbug for this useful post.
BarbP on 9/28/2010(UTC)
ErinHarris Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:07:09 PM(UTC)
ErinHarris

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
[quote=BarbP]Do you need to purchase the transfer paper or does it come with the Cricut Vinyl? Transfer tape is sold separately.

I saw a video where painter's tape was used to transfer the cuts ... anyone have anything negative about using that? I rarely do cuts that are as small as a strip of painter's tape, but beyond that, the problem is that you can't see through the tape to accurately place your vinyl.

Do you always need to use something to transfer the cuts - can't you just pick them off the sheet & stick them on the wall? Most cuts are too intricate to pick up like a sticker. Letters are definitely too hard to pick off with fingers, as it stretches and sticks to each other, and once it's stuck to itself, it's very hard to straighten out without mis-shaping it.

Hope this helps!
Erin
 1 user thanked ErinHarris for this useful post.
BarbP on 9/30/2010(UTC)
ashnbill Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:10:14 PM(UTC)
ashnbill

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't use transfer tape for everything. If you're doing a phrase or something that needs lining up, use the transfer tape. If you're doing a larger solid cut (like a truck) just take it from vinyl to wall.
jendry Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:53:29 AM(UTC)
jendry

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I've used both the painters tape and the clear contact paper.
Contact paper is the way to go! So easy but make sure you rub your contact paper where the vinyl is so it separates easily.
LibertyLyn Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:00:14 AM(UTC)
LibertyLyn

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 602 time(s) in 432 post(s)
Thanks for the clues.
~CaseyMeganMarie~ Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:04:52 AM(UTC)
~CaseyMeganMarie~

i on the other hand would not recommend using clear contact paper. i have had horrible luck with it. it leaves a sticky residue on your vinyl and people recommend sticking the contact paper on your shirt or blanket to help make it less sticky, it still sticks terrible. Transfer tape is definately the way to go!!!
Jen C in Montana Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:21:35 PM(UTC)
Jen C in Montana

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I just purchased a roll of "removable" contact paper clear plastic and I think I'm going to give it a try.

I purchased a roll of Cricut transfer tape and didn't like it. I had already had a great experience with a clear transfer tape I received with an ebay vinyl purchase and love the clear much better than the Cricut transfer tape that is not clear. Placement was so much easier with the clear!

So, I hope this works (the removable contact paper brand!).
BarbP Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:21:12 AM(UTC)
BarbP

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Jen C in Montana wrote:
I just purchased a roll of "removable" contact paper clear plastic and I think I'm going to give it a try.

I purchased a roll of Cricut transfer tape and didn't like it. I had already had a great experience with a clear transfer tape I received with an ebay vinyl purchase and love the clear much better than the Cricut transfer tape that is not clear. Placement was so much easier with the clear!

So, I hope this works (the removable contact paper brand!).

I saw this in the hardware store yesterday & almost bought it to try but already had the wide painters tape so thought I'd try it first. Let me know how this removeable contact paper works for you. I felt a corner of it & didn't notice any stickiness at all so I wasn't sure that the vinyl would stay on it to make it to the wall.

Thanks everyone for all your comments & suggestions. I appreciate the help! BigGrin