Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

~tallulah~ Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:23:20 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 343 time(s) in 247 post(s)
how when you put an image inside a frame or something that the whole image inside won't cut? how when you preview it the image is gray? how did that get resolved?

i was designing a card. the front i put a shape in and it previewed that it would cut. so i essentially had a *window* on the front of my card. so what i wanted was a couple of images that would be in the window and not cut. i tried it with a frame instead of just an image cut out of the front of the card but it still showed my images in gray...meaning they won't cut.

am i making sense? lol.
CherylfromOz Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:08:58 AM(UTC)
CherylfromOz

Australia

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 154 post(s)
Is this what you are looking for it is one of Mercy's tips of the day

Frames

You can cut images inside solid shapes (plain squares etc) as I have not tried all of the shapes but try it from your favorite cartridge and let us know how it works for you. Remember, this is trial and error. You will have to play around with this because only you will know what you are trying to achieve.

Take a plain solid shape; place an image of your choice inside the solid shape. Do not weld! Preview it and the images should turn black. Images in black while in preview that are not welded will cut. I did try some images welded and they did cut.

You can put welded images on the inside of the solid image and it should cut.

Some of our members were looking to take a 12x12 paper and cut a name or image out of the center without touching the frame.

take any image and put it in the middle of a solid frame. It will cut the frame and the entire image in the middle. When the g was launched, we welded everything even when we did not have to because at one that was the only way to make our designs. Therefore, when we tried to cut images in the middle of a solid frame, it would not work because we welded and that was our error. We never should have welded. We thought at one time that in order to cut everything had to show in red but that is not the case. Black non-welded images will cut.

Try it. Take a solid square from any cart; place a turkey in the solid square. Do not let the turkey touch the square. When you preview, the images will be black and cut the images. It works.

We can cut out mats with the different shapes in the middle without having to buy them or do them manually. In my test cuts with cheap paper, don’t laugh Sweet Sassy because you know how it ended, I put a heart in the middle without touching the sides and a word that I welded prior to putting it in the frame and it worked. If it were the right paper, lol I could put a picture behind the heart cut out and put it in the frame.

Yes, you can put a welded image from Snow Friends into a solid object and it will cut. Again, weld the images prior to putting it into the solid frame, press preview and the images will be black which means they will cut. You have to try it because we have been condition to believe that it will not but it does. Again, this is for when you want images in the middle of a solid object without touching the sides of the frame.

These are the frames that were made from solid shapes. I placed a square inside a square to get a picture frame.

The second frame I copied the first frame and placed the word “Baby” on the frame.

The third frame I did not put a frame inside a frame as I put an image on the inside of the frame without touching the sides of the frame. I put an image on the bottom of the frame, I let some of the image hang off the mat so it would not cut and I let some of that same image overlap the frame. I welded the image on the outside of the frame to the frame and the part that was on the inside did not cut. The image inside the frame was not welded so it did cut. It can be used as a note pad, note cards, paper, invitations etc.
~tallulah~ Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:11:34 AM(UTC)
~tallulah~

well i'm not sure...lol. here's what i did:

took a card cut made it the size i wanted {4.25x5.5 (x2)}; making it an easel card that is 4.25 x 5.50. then i took a wavy shaped square and put it on the front of the card. i did weld. when i previewed they both showed red so they will cut. that will leave me with a card that has a wavy square opening on the front.

now what i want to do is take 2 leaf shapes and weld them together AND to the wavy square so the front of the card has an opening that has the leaves attached to the opening but the rest of the opening is gone.

i tried to weld the leaves to the wavy square and they turned gray in preview so i knew they wouldn't cut.

i then added another wavy square and sized it to make it a frame and the same thing happened. i then realized that the frame would cut and i'd still be left with a card with a wavy square opening on the front and a smaller frame of a wavy square.

make sense?

~tallulah~ Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:43:02 PM(UTC)
~tallulah~

ok i got it!! thanks to the above post i kept the *don't weld* idea in the back of my mind. i took the two leaves and welded them then moved them over the card front *window* and sized them as i would if i were going to weld them to the card. i did NOT weld them though.

when i hit preview voila!!! they will cut but not the parts overlapping (though not welded to) the window.

i toyed with the idea of welding (or not) a title to the front as well but then i thought why push it...really i want to cut it out of different color paper and then pop dot it so it is 3d. lol.

thanks for giving me the piece to the puzzle i needed! woohoo!