Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
ScrappyNana Offline
#31 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 12:17:35 AM(UTC)
ScrappyNana

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 202 time(s) in 92 post(s)
It really is frustrating to me when someone comes on a board and says "From what I have been told PC is trying to eliminate physical cartridges..."

Who is your actual source? What person in the company told you this? What is their position? Or where did you actually read this? Without an actual verifiable source - all this becomes is a vicious rumor that just upsets people and causes more negativity on the board

Is anyone else just really tired of this?

Laurel
 9 users thanked ScrappyNana for this useful post.
blackbearblackbear on 1/27/2014(UTC), ChelaDones on 1/27/2014(UTC), MaryScraps on 1/27/2014(UTC), melodylanedesigns on 1/27/2014(UTC), Jooniper on 1/27/2014(UTC), Mary R. on 1/27/2014(UTC), ssharp11d5c1f11b on 1/27/2014(UTC), ellamap on 1/27/2014(UTC), jkrflutenpicc7d12cddd on 1/28/2014(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#32 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 3:37:25 AM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6699 time(s) in 2726 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ScrappyNana Go to Quoted Post
It really is frustrating to me when someone comes on a board and says "From what I have been told PC is trying to eliminate physical cartridges..."

Who is your actual source? What person in the company told you this? What is their position? Or where did you actually read this? Without an actual verifiable source - all this becomes is a vicious rumor that just upsets people and causes more negativity on the board

Laurel

I'm getting tired of it too. I posted about it in a new thread and no one responded.
I went back and edited my own posts to included links to the information.
I'm tired of reading rumor mill information. I want the facts.
The facts are out there ppl just need to take the time to provide a link to the information.
 3 users thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
Jooniper on 1/27/2014(UTC), ssharp11d5c1f11b on 1/27/2014(UTC), ellamap on 1/27/2014(UTC)
*Meg* Offline
#33 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 7:08:05 AM(UTC)
*Meg*

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Physical cartridges are not the only thing that makes the Cricut system truly portable and easy to use.

The carts need to be able to work in a machine that's NOT connected to a computer, and certainly NOT to the internet, in order to be TRULY portable.

I haven't been reading that people are fretting over no physical carts. I HAVE been reading posts where people are very concerned that Provo Craft appears to be heading toward a computer-dependent, internet-dependent system. This is exactly NOT what the original Cricut system was all about.

It's all well and good to say there will still be physical carts, but if they have to be used in a machine that's connected to the internet in order to cut from them (a machine such as the Explore), there goes true portability. PC can say it'll still make "legacy" Expressions, but history shows that they will abandon them (sooner rather than later) in order to force customers into the new system. And the chance of ever getting a new & improved Expression -- one that can use carts without being on a computer or online, that cuts as well as the Explore, that can use the Gypsy (or, be still my heart, a new & improved Gypsy-like device) -- seems quite remote now.

In addition, abandoning the only truly portable design device we had (Gypsy) and offering yet another internet-dependent design program is huge disappointment for those who started investing in the Cricut system because it was truly portable.

Edited by user Monday, January 27, 2014 9:10:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked *Meg* for this useful post.
Merrie Jones on 1/27/2014(UTC)
Jooniper Offline
#34 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 10:22:49 AM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 805 time(s) in 581 post(s)
It's called evolution

Either evolve or become extinct
 2 users thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
ellamap on 1/27/2014(UTC), melodylanedesigns on 1/30/2014(UTC)
*Meg* Offline
#35 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 10:50:13 AM(UTC)
*Meg*

Originally Posted by: Jooniper Go to Quoted Post
It's called evolution

This isn't biology. This is business.

In business, the catchphrase is: Choices. Provide them or lose customers (and reduce your pool of potential customers).
Jooniper Offline
#36 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 10:56:14 AM(UTC)
Jooniper

On this board, as far as I can tell, you are the only one that has a really big problem with all this. You sound like a broken record. [sigh]
 2 users thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
Mary R. on 1/27/2014(UTC), ellamap on 1/27/2014(UTC)
*Meg* Offline
#37 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 11:14:50 AM(UTC)
*Meg*

LOL Then you're really picking and choosing which posts you read.

I suggest you not venture to the wild and wooly non-Cricut crafting boards. Lots of crazy people there who are enamored with the whole idea of choices.
 1 user thanked *Meg* for this useful post.
sewnmachine on 1/31/2014(UTC)
Moxy77 Offline
#38 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 12:08:05 PM(UTC)
Moxy77

United States

Was thanked: 381 time(s) in 280 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ScrappyNana Go to Quoted Post

Laurel

Somethings you don't have to be told. You use your deductive reasoning. PC will have to continue to make cartridges in the near future. There are to many people that still have legacy machines.(In fact Melonie,one of the bloggers that was at the big event, says there are some really great ones coming.) But when a company requires their flagship machine (Explore)to link a cartridge in order to cut from it the writing is on the wall. Cartridges are on the way out. (That is if this machine doesn't go over and they have to do some changing of plans) Melissa

Edited by user Monday, January 27, 2014 3:48:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: bad mistake in spelling

Merrie Jones Offline
#39 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 12:59:48 PM(UTC)
Merrie Jones

Was thanked: 575 time(s) in 250 post(s)
It's called evolution

I guess I am a dinosaurSad. I am happy for the people who are excited about the new machine. Heck, there are a few features that I like about it too. My problem is having to use the internet and my computer with it. My craftroom just does not have the space for my computer. That's why I have never really given CCR a try. When I want to use it I have to move both my computer & E to my dining room table. Can it be done? Of course. Do I want to hassel with moving everything? No. I got into this BECAUSE it was a stand alone system and because I am not a designer. I like being able to pop a cart in, push a few buttons & I'm done. Of course I have seen some neat files that would be nice to cut- but I can live without them. That's why the Explore will be great for people who want to cut files/ manipulate their images. Personally, I can do as much as I want to on my G. I'm just disappointed that PC seems to have forgotten that there are some crafters who want to keep their feet on the ground and out of the cloudsBigGrin. Before I get flamed with- 'don't you read what Cricut Gena said- we are continuing to support our legacy machines'. I have seen the PC statements and I also remember how PC has made other statements and not followed thru (anyone remember the extra button on the E that was there to have 'something new' added to it?LOL)For those of you who are excited about the Explore- be happy. For those of you (like me)who like what we have, enjoy it as long as it works. JMHO Smile
 1 user thanked Merrie Jones for this useful post.
*Meg* on 1/27/2014(UTC)
MaryScraps Offline
#40 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 1:02:34 PM(UTC)
MaryScraps

United States

Was thanked: 6699 time(s) in 2726 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CricutCrazy Go to Quoted Post
From what I have been told, PC has been trying to eliminate physical cartridges in a gradual "phase out" . One of their reasons for this is MONEYSneaky . Once you link your cartridge to your CCR account or to a Gypsy or the new machines, you will never be able to let someone else purchase your used cartridge because they will not be able to access the cartridge on their machine. Also, eventually you will have to buy all images online, or create your own images on your computer to print and cut. The Explore has no screen and no keypad capability as you can readily see. Therefore, there is no way that you can use your cartridge without first registering it on CCR to allow the computer to guide your selections to your Cricut machine.

If you are like me and you prefer to use a cartridge and keypad, my advise to you is to buy a "backup" Cricut Expression while you still can because they are being discontinued. I admit - I am a DINOSAUR LOL I do not wish to hook up my machine to a computer all the time. It is always crashing on CCR, so I have given up on it.

I called CS 1-877-727-4288

The CS rep told me you do not have to link your cartridges to Cricut Design Space.
But, you have to have your unlinked cartridge in the machine to cut from that cartridge.
If you don't have your cartridge linked then you can only cut from that cartridge.
If your making a design say with 2 cartridges that are not linked then you would not be able to cut your design.

I asked if they could get that info up on the FAQ page because ppl are confused about it.

You also call Cricut CS yourself to have them answer that question for you.
 2 users thanked MaryScraps for this useful post.
Jooniper on 1/27/2014(UTC), CricketCMV on 1/27/2014(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#41 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 1:20:57 PM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1219 time(s) in 728 post(s)
Okay here is my opinion on the whole thing take it or leave it but please remember it is only my opinion...

My hope is that PC will continue to have cartridges and maybe even a new cartridge based machine in the future.

*I DO NOT WANT TO LINK MY CARTRIDGES. EVER!
Here is why...
If the time comes where my husband or other love one needs to sell or gift my cartridges to someone I do not want them to have to break the ELUA contract in doing so.
I am a law abiding citizen and rule follower {can you tell? lol}

*I am all for PC coming out with new product and applaud them for doing so.
Just don't forget us, the little cartridge based people who made your company what it is today.

*I would like PC to remember those of us who have and continue to purchase their cartridges.
I have 300+ cartridges and paid anywhere between $20-50 for each of them.
If you do the math and average out the cost I have spent at least $9000 on cartridges alone.
***300 cartridges X an average of $30 per cartridge = $9000***
That doesn't take into account the cost of my 4 Cricuts, mats, blades, Cricut tools and digital images of course.

*I do use CCR and LOVE it so I am not opposed to using the internet when needed.
I just like having the option of using CCR and NOT linking if I do not want to.

*I won't say never to the new machine but its not looking good if linking is a requirement.
It would have to have A LOT of extras to offer me for it to join my Cricut family

*I need my cutters {at least one of them} to be a stand alone machine.
I am a teacher and use my Baby Bug at school for school related projects ALL the time.
We CAN NOT download any program to our school computer. Only our district can do this.
Cricuts are used nation wide by my fellow teachers who I would guess have the same computer/internet restrictions as I do.

*As many have already pointed out and I feel strongly enough about it to repeat it.
Not everyone has internet access.
Not everyone has a laptop or computer they can use in their craft space.
Not everyone has a craft space that would allow the computer to be there due to its size.
Many bought Cricut for it portability to crops, work, school etc.

*Many of us who haven't jumped ship and moved on to other cutters have stayed because we like to have the option of using our cartridge based, portable machines and/or the internet with those machines and having the choice be ours. It's the best of both worlds for me.

In conclusion, I would never expect a company to not bring out new and improved product.
It is a requirement in this economy to keep up or close the doors.
I would just like for PC to remember where you came from and how you got to where you are today. {Don't forget the little people.}

Whew are you still with me. lol.

Please know that this is NOT meant to bash PC at all.
I LOVE my PC products and it was because of that love and passion for them I sat here this long and shared my opinion in the first place.

Have a wonderfully creative day!
Hugs
D~

Edited by user Monday, January 27, 2014 1:26:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: ...

4 users thanked Dragonfly50 for this useful post.
Jooniper on 1/27/2014(UTC), *Meg* on 1/27/2014(UTC), CricketCMV on 1/27/2014(UTC), Merrie Jones on 1/27/2014(UTC)
Jooniper Offline
#42 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 1:27:34 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Originally Posted by: MerrieJones Go to Quoted Post
I guess I am a dinosaurSad.

I was actually referring to a company that is stuck in a rut and not moving forward.

Don't worry, you are not a dinosaur! Smile
 1 user thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
Merrie Jones on 1/27/2014(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#43 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 2:18:32 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 7572 time(s) in 4436 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MaryScraps Go to Quoted Post

The CS rep told me you do not have to link your cartridges to Cricut Design Space.
But, you have to have your unlinked cartridge in the machine to cut from that cartridge.
If you don't have your cartridge linked then you can only cut from that cartridge.
If your making a design say with 2 cartridges that are not linked then you would not be able to cut your design.

I asked if they could get that info up on the FAQ page because ppl are confused about it.

This would make me a happy camper and would be a game-changer for me....if I could part with the money for this machine on the 12th!

Char
*Meg* Offline
#44 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 2:25:07 PM(UTC)
*Meg*

Originally Posted by: MaryScraps Go to Quoted Post

And GracefulGrammar called after you, referred to your post, and was again told that carts had to be linked.

The discrepancy between what you were told and what's been told to others and posted online all over the place needs to be officially settled with a public announcement (because it's easy to see how various CS agents can interpret things differently and might give different answers).
 2 users thanked *Meg* for this useful post.
GracefulGrammar on 1/27/2014(UTC), CricketCMV on 1/27/2014(UTC)
Merrie Jones Offline
#45 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 2:39:43 PM(UTC)
Merrie Jones

Was thanked: 575 time(s) in 250 post(s)
I was actually referring to a company that is stuck in a rut and not moving forward.

Don't worry, you are not a dinosaur! Smile

LOL LOL LOL Sometimes I feel like one. Now I have to figure why my name changed and how to get it back!

Got it back!BigGrin

Edited by user Monday, January 27, 2014 5:34:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GracefulGrammar Offline
#46 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 2:56:44 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1595 time(s) in 726 post(s)
Originally Posted by: *Meg* Go to Quoted Post
And GracefulGrammar called after you, referred to your post, and was again told that carts had to be linked.

The discrepancy between what you were told and what's been told to others and posted online all over the place needs to be officially settled with a public announcement (because it's easy to see how various CS agents can interpret things differently and might give different answers).

This was just posted by CricutLisa:

MaryScraps

We do apologize for the misinformation that you were given. The port on the Explore is for linking cartridges only.

Q: Cartridges - Will my currently owned cartridges work with Cricut Explore™?
A: Cricut Explore™ was designed to work with Cricut Design Space™, rather than as a stand-alone machine. However, you can use the cartridge port on the Cricut Explore™ machine to link your existing cartridges to your Cricut Design Space™ account. If you have already linked your existing cartridges to Cricut Craft Room®, they will automatically be available in Cricut Design Space®. There is no need to re-link them. Yay!

We hope this answers your question.

CricutLisa

Link for verification:

https://www.cricut.com/f...k-carts.aspx#post1804962
 1 user thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 1/27/2014(UTC)
Moxy77 Offline
#47 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 4:19:38 PM(UTC)
Moxy77

United States

Was thanked: 381 time(s) in 280 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
This was just posted by CricutLisa:

MaryScraps

We do apologize for the misinformation that you were given. The port on the Explore is for linking cartridges only.

This part of her answer is crystal clear. No cutting without linking period.

Q: Cartridges - Will my currently owned cartridges work with Cricut Explore™?
A: Cricut Explore™ was designed to work with Cricut Design Space™, rather than as a stand-alone machine. However, you can use the cartridge port on the Cricut Explore™ machine to link your existing cartridges to your Cricut Design Space™ account. If you have already linked your existing cartridges to Cricut Craft Room®, they will automatically be available in Cricut Design Space®. There is no need to re-link them. Yay!

We hope this answers your question.

CricutLisa

Link for verification:

This part of the answer is ambiguous. It could be interpreted either way. Which is probably the point with these prewritten answers.

https://www.cricut.com/f...k-carts.aspx#post1804962

1 user thanked Moxy77 for this useful post.
MaryScraps on 1/27/2014(UTC)
GracefulGrammar Offline
#48 Posted : Monday, January 27, 2014 5:23:54 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1595 time(s) in 726 post(s)
My spin on their spin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Marketing 101......... present any potential negative (linking) in a positive manner (store carts away forever)....... Explain what the option can do or accomplish. Avoid discussing what can't be done, unless you are confronted with a direct question.
 1 user thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 1/27/2014(UTC)
Cricuteer Offline
#49 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:30:59 PM(UTC)
Cricuteer

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I guess I am confused, I bought my carts with the intention of keeping them forever and if not, then giving them and the machine to someone I love. I have linked all my carts to the Gypsy and the Craft room and I am content. The craft room aspect gives me my images at a glance, searching is easy, have my computer doing the work for me, then, if I find an image I don't own, can just click and buy it and instantly use it. So for me linking is not an issue. Now I understand for those who may want to sell them, it could be a problem. But I buy mine for me and only me and love it. Linking it does not stop you from using them in the old machines, so where is the real problem? If you buy the new machine, then you use the new way. I just do not understand the fuss over something new. I want to use my computer/Ipad and the flexibility of this is amazing. I can not wait for the Explore, and will again, be on HSN buying away. I do not care about kinks, as that is with anything you buy. I just love the fact that they give you access to what you have, yet still can use new. I will always be with PC, sorry, but I love all the products and have NO complaints. Loyal PC fan and Circle Member forever or as long as I have money. HA.LOL
 5 users thanked Cricuteer for this useful post.
melodylanedesigns on 1/30/2014(UTC), ellamap on 1/30/2014(UTC), Eleanor on 1/30/2014(UTC), Jooniper on 1/30/2014(UTC), AmyInPa on 1/31/2014(UTC)
MJ Scrapper Offline
#50 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 6:30:56 AM(UTC)
MJ Scrapper

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I am happy for the people who have been looking at the competitors machines, now they can have a Cricut that cuts SVG and TTF.

But I am happy with my Expression, I just want to be able to sit at my kitchen table and pop my carts in my machine without hooking up to a computer. I remember the infomercials they used to run for the Cricut, they would show people carrying the Cricut to a crop, it was advertised as a free standing portable machine. I really hope that Provo Craft will always have an Expression type machine that you can use free standing with your cartridges. But I am leery because I see they are pushing home décor and computer based cutting.
 1 user thanked MJ Scrapper for this useful post.
Annabella on 1/31/2014(UTC)