Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

CricketCMV Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:34:24 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7597 time(s) in 4447 post(s)
#1: Will we HAVE to link our cartridges to the DESIGN SPACE program? In CCR, we did not HAVE to link them. From what I have read it sounds like we HAVE to link in order to use CDSpace!

#2: Another BLOG that compiled a lot of information made the comment we could download fonts we use on our computers. HOWEVER, she noted it right after the information about the $9.99/mo. fee. So, I'm wondering if that feature will only come under the monthly fee?

#3: I thought there was information about EMBOSSING; but, I can't find anything about this or see that it will work from day one if we buy the machine at launch?

I am excited to see the many, many different types of materials we can cut with this machine! Hope it's all true. IF I WERE PC, I would demonstrate more than just a few of those materials in their opening presentation of this machine.

I, for one, will be wanting to see a lot more demonstration on HSN than we saw on opening day of the information put out on the EXPLORE.

Char

melodylanedesigns Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:43:14 PM(UTC)
melodylanedesigns

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1779 time(s) in 884 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
#1: Will we HAVE to link our cartridges to the DESIGN SPACE program? In CCR, we did not HAVE to link them. From what I have read it sounds like we HAVE to link in order to use CDSpace! Yes they have to be linked.

#2: Another BLOG that compiled a lot of information made the comment we could download fonts we use on our computers. HOWEVER, she noted it right after the information about the $9.99/mo. fee. So, I'm wondering if that feature will only come under the monthly fee?

#3: I thought there was information about EMBOSSING; but, I can't find anything about this or see that it will work from day one if we buy the machine at launch? the second housing is used to emboss or draw as the same time as cutting.

I am excited to see the many, many different types of materials we can cut with this machine! Hope it's all true. IF I WERE PC, I would demonstrate more than just a few of those materials in their opening presentation of this machine.

I, for one, will be wanting to see a lot more demonstration on HSN than we saw on opening day of the information put out on the EXPLORE.

Char

2 users thanked melodylanedesigns for this useful post.
Eleanor on 1/24/2014(UTC), CricketCMV on 1/24/2014(UTC)
Jooniper Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:51:31 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 809 time(s) in 583 post(s)
#2 - No, you can cut them for free. I think she wrote that blog entry before they announced doing away with the subscription fee.
 2 users thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
Eleanor on 1/24/2014(UTC), CricketCMV on 1/24/2014(UTC)
Olivia'sNana Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 4:58:18 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 771 time(s) in 349 post(s)
#1: Will we HAVE to link our cartridges to the DESIGN SPACE program? In CCR, we did not HAVE to link them. From what I have read it sounds like we HAVE to link in order to use CDSpace! Yes they have to be linked.

That's to bad, won't buy the machine then because it would no longer allow you to share carts with family/friends. My mom, dil and myself - we all buy carts and then share with each other. I guess the new machine IS phasing out cart based system with all digital.
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 1/24/2014(UTC)
~AmyS~ Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 6:23:53 AM(UTC)
~AmyS~

Was thanked: 3186 time(s) in 1351 post(s)

That's to bad, won't buy the machine then because it would no longer allow you to share carts with family/friends. My mom, dil and myself - we all buy carts and then share with each other. I guess the new machine IS phasing out cart based system with all digital.

We don't know yet if the ability to unlink will exist. That is another question for PC.
Wouldn't you be able to link to one account, and the others just use the cartridges?
 1 user thanked ~AmyS~ for this useful post.
Olivia'sNana Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 6:38:37 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Originally Posted by: ~AmyS~ Go to Quoted Post

We don't know yet if the ability to unlink will exist. That is another question for PC.
Wouldn't you be able to link to one account, and the others just use the cartridges?

Based on the way Melody answered the question above - no. Looks like to use the new machine you have to be online with the new software. To use your cartridges with the new machine/software, they have to be linked. Even though there is a port for carts on the new machine, I assume based on the response that is only for linking the carts not for being able to design straight from the carts. This means whoever links the cart, that is the only one that can use that cart with the new machine/sw because it can only be linked one time to one account. (for which I understand the reason for that)

It just seems they should be enhancing by improving what is already out there plus adding new features, instead it seems they just replace what is out there with all new features. In this case, scrapping the cart based system for all digital. I would buy this machine if it worked with the actual carts and if the reviews were looking positive for its reliability.
CricketCMV Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 11:13:26 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Olivia'sNana Go to Quoted Post

You can still SHARE your cartridges with others; it's just that NOONE else could ever LINK them to their accounts if they would like the ease in using cartridges without having to place them in the slot when you're cutting. We have always been able to share even if we LINK.

I always thought it was important (if we ever wanted to resell any of them) to NOT link them. However, as the prices in cartridges come down and they don't seem as valuable as they once were, I would be tempted to go ahead and LINK with the EXPLORE.

The new machine will still use the cartridges.....at least ONE TIME. PC Has said they intend to come out with more cartridges.

Any other thoughts on these thoughts? LOL.

Char

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 11:14:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
blurobin on 1/25/2014(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 11:16:46 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: ~AmyS~ Go to Quoted Post

Amy...from what I understand (purely my thinking), if you are already LINKED to CCR, your account will automatically let you used those LINKED cartridges in EXPLORE. Your account will show everything you are now using AND everything you use in the future (at least as far as EXPLORE goes).

Char
poodlebone Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 12:30:14 PM(UTC)
poodlebone

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 34 post(s)
You can still SHARE your cartridges with others; it's just that NOONE else could ever LINK them to their accounts if they would like the ease in using cartridges without having to place them in the slot when you're cutting. We have always been able to share even if we LINK.

I always thought it was important (if we ever wanted to resell any of them) to NOT link them. However, as the prices in cartridges come down and they don't seem as valuable as they once were, I would be tempted to go ahead and LINK with the EXPLORE.

The new machine will still use the cartridges.....at least ONE TIME. PC Has said they intend to come out with more cartridges.

Any other thoughts on these thoughts? LOL.

Char

Are you certain that people will be able to share cartridges using the Explore? That question is the reason for my trip back to the boards right now, after reading a FAQ posted on the site. The way I read it made it sound as if the cartridge slot is in the Explore just so you can link them to CCR/DS. Also, will you be able to link new cartridges (or any you already have but didn't link) directly to the new Design Space software or will you still have to go through CCR?

I have a handful of cartridges that I bought used on eBay and they were previously linked, so I can't put them in my CCR account. I can still cut from them by putting the physical cartridge in my Expression so it's not bad. I also borrow cartridges from my sister which I can cut from only by putting the cartridge into the machine.

If the cartridge slot on the Explore is only for linking it means I'd need two machines, one for cartridges I've borrowed or bought used. I live in a small apartment and all of my crafting is done in my living room so I don't have room for 2 machines!

I can't see them doing away with cartridges any time soon. There is no way all existing Cricut users will run out to buy the Explore and they would lose a lot by not being able to sell them anything new. I can see them coming out with more and more Design Space exclusive content. They already have that - designs exclusive to CCR or the Gypsy or the Mini etc.
 1 user thanked poodlebone for this useful post.
Olivia'sNana Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 1:40:23 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Char

Only if they are using them in other machines. As I understand it, the new explore only uses digital images. The carts can be inserted into the machine for linking but to use them with the new machine they have to be linked to your account.
So if they are linked to my moms account for instance and she uses ccr and e,then I can't use that cart in the explore becuase I can't link it to my account because the explore does not read from the cart it only reads from your account. Or if we all use the new explore, only one of us would be able to use the carts that we have - whoever links them to their account.

Looks like this is the first step of pc phasing out the cart system and going to digital but we shall see.
CricketCMV Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 7:22:25 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: poodlebone Go to Quoted Post
Are you certain that people will be able to share cartridges using the Explore? That question is the reason for my trip back to the boards right now, after reading a FAQ posted on the site. The way I read it made it sound as if the cartridge slot is in the Explore just so you can link them to CCR/DS. Also, will you be able to link new cartridges (or any you already have but didn't link) directly to the new Design Space software or will you still have to go through CCR?

I have a handful of cartridges that I bought used on eBay and they were previously linked, so I can't put them in my CCR account. I can still cut from them by putting the physical cartridge in my Expression so it's not bad. I also borrow cartridges from my sister which I can cut from only by putting the cartridge into the machine.

If the cartridge slot on the Explore is only for linking it means I'd need two machines, one for cartridges I've borrowed or bought used. I live in a small apartment and all of my crafting is done in my living room so I don't have room for 2 machines!

I can't see them doing away with cartridges any time soon. There is no way all existing Cricut users will run out to buy the Explore and they would lose a lot by not being able to sell them anything new. I can see them coming out with more and more Design Space exclusive content. They already have that - designs exclusive to CCR or the Gypsy or the Mini etc.

The LINKED cartridges are in your account with PC.....not in CCR specifically. ALL LINKED cartridges thus far will automatically show up in your EXPLORE account and you will be able to use all the cartridges that are linked. You will ONLY BE ABLE to use LINKED cartridges in EXPLORE. I am hoping they are not going to change the fact that others can borrow your cartridges (and we will ALL want to know that) just because they are now LINKED to the EXPLORE. By linking them in the past, we have still been able to share those cartridges; it's just that noone else could ever link one that has already been linked by the original owner. LINKING makes the whole process easier...if that's your desire and you know you will never want to resell those cartridges. To me, it cheapens the cartridge in resell value if it has been linked.

I don't think you will have to go through CCR; heavens, that would really limit people buying the new machine and I think PC would be smarter than to tie the two together. There are many users who don't use CCR and have never downloaded it. PC would be crazy (IMHO) to design another software that was dependent on another software, I think. Doesn't that make sense? Of course, these are just my thoughts and opinions....I don't really know.

They are very interesting questions and I hope we can get clarification on them.

Char

Char

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 7:25:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricketCMV Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 7:27:58 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

And, YES....today I read that the EXPLORE (new) cartridges will be exclusive to the EXPLORE machine only. We can use all previous cartridges in the EXPLORE and in our older machines....all cartridges exclusive to the EXPLORE will NOT be useable in our older machines.

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 7:29:00 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: Olivia'sNana Go to Quoted Post
Only if they are using them in other machines. As I understand it, the new explore only uses digital images. The carts can be inserted into the machine for linking but to use them with the new machine they have to be linked to your account.
So if they are linked to my moms account for instance and she uses ccr and e,then I can't use that cart in the explore becuase I can't link it to my account because the explore does not read from the cart it only reads from your account. Or if we all use the new explore, only one of us would be able to use the carts that we have - whoever links them to their account.

Looks like this is the first step of pc phasing out the cart system and going to digital but we shall see.

Then, they are not ONLY for digital images. They will use cartridge images, also.

I hope that the fact we have to LINK to the EXPLORE does not make our cartridges unuseable to our older machines. I don't think PC would do that to us; I'm pretty sure we'll still be able to use them in our older machines. YOU ARE RIGHT, though, that noone else can LINK after a cartridge has been linked. It can only be linked once. (Whether or not PC works with people who buy a cartridge that has been linked in the past, I have no idea. BUT, I don't think they would because that would defeat the whole purpose of why they want us to LINK them in the first place). Another user of that same cartridge would have to BUY a NEW cartridge in order to use the feature of being able to use the images without inserting the cartridges for their projects (if they want to use someone else's cartridge, they have to insert it to use it). If you have five images from five different cartridges on one project, then it's easier not to have to insert five cartridges (although this has never been a problem for me). LINKING makes that process much, much easier.

I wanted the resell value of my cartridges should I decide to sell any of them, so I have not LINKED any of mine. As it stands, I probably would sell half the cartridges I own (60+); because, I love the images on the other cartridges and I hardly ever have a need for the other half of them. I have used almost all my cartridges. It's just that after I've been in it for six years I don't need all of those I thought I "had to have".

If I do buy the EXPLORE, I will probably only LINK those half of my cartridges I own and not LINK the ones I propose to sell later. I just wouldn't use them on the new machine.

Char

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 7:38:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GracefulGrammar Online
#14 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 7:49:47 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1621 time(s) in 741 post(s)
And, YES....today I read that the EXPLORE (new) cartridges will be exclusive to the EXPLORE machine only. We can use all previous cartridges in the EXPLORE and in our older machines....all cartridges exclusive to the EXPLORE will NOT be useable in our older machines.

Char

Provide a link for verification........ TIA
 1 user thanked GracefulGrammar for this useful post.
Catita Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 7:57:28 PM(UTC)
Catita

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Wonder if they'll make any changes to the current/older carts to be used with new features of the Explore. If so, those of us who own any of those current/older carts shouldn't have to repurchase them.

Or, they might reinvent the wheel by creating all new images, which seems silly. They already have quite a library of images.

CricketCMV Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2014 8:02:44 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
Provide a link for verification........ TIA

I'm not too good at that (remembering where I saw something PLUS posting a link). I'll try!

Char

http://www.annagriffin.c...cut-explore-sneak-peek-1

AM I ALLOWED TO DO THIS? I hope it works. It was the post by Scrapbooking_Grandma showing the links to Anna Griffin's blog.

Char

Edited by user Friday, January 24, 2014 8:06:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
GracefulGrammar on 1/24/2014(UTC)