Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ChristiFillhard Online
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:31:01 PM(UTC)
ChristiFillhard

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I bought a whole bunch but now when I am trying to do something with them I have no luck cutting, it just tears. I keep changing speed and pressure but still can't seem to come up with a combination that works well.
I love the paper but my E doesn't!
Clammdunc Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 22, 2013 6:20:31 PM(UTC)
Clammdunc

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 251 post(s)
I wasn't crazy about the Coredinations from J's. Have only used it once. Maybe try a new blade set as low as possible with min pressure. Hope it works out for you. I know how frustrating it can be. The Bazzill that they carry cuts great with the E so I try to stick to that.
Godot's Girl Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 3:35:20 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #388; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2407 time(s) in 1510 post(s)
I had the same problem with that paper as well. I use Recollections from Michaels....it cuts the best in my machine. I, too, had bought several packs of the Coredinations, so ended up using it as my card bases, as I could not cut with it. GG
deleted Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 5:48:42 AM(UTC)
deleted

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 54 post(s)
The ColorBok brand also cuts great. I get it at WalMart. A large pad of 12x12 is only $5!

rhondah* Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 6:51:22 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

United States

Was thanked: 12321 time(s) in 8235 post(s)
I had trouble with the J's paper also. I won't buy anymore. Like mentioned, the Colorbok paper at WM and the Recollections paper at M's cut really well.
jojoy Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 7:04:20 AM(UTC)
jojoy

United States

Was thanked: 8731 time(s) in 3057 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Godot's Girl Go to Quoted Post
I had the same problem with that paper as well. I use Recollections from Michaels....it cuts the best in my machine. I, too, had bought several packs of the Coredinations, so ended up using it as my card bases, as I could not cut with it. GG

Same here!
southgirltexas Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 7:04:35 AM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Was thanked: 568 time(s) in 340 post(s)
Is it just the CorDinations Testured paper that doesn't cut right? Is there any difference in where you buy the paper. I love love Cordinations paper and have never had any problems with it. Bazzell has always given me fits!
LindainWA Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 7:31:45 AM(UTC)
LindainWA

United States

Was thanked: 941 time(s) in 551 post(s)
I have found that when I cut my coordinations paper that I use multi cut w/blade at 6 and pressure high. I have been using it quite a bet lately and so far that works for me.
kissakoala*[º0º]* Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 9:57:50 AM(UTC)
kissakoala*[º0º]*

Was thanked: 1700 time(s) in 959 post(s)
If you are talking about the Coredinations smooth cardstock that comes in packages, then, I'm sorry I can't help. I bought some of this and its horrible! I was so disappointed because the textured Coredinations (the stuff you can emboss and sand and distress) cuts like a dream! I don't like other textured paper...seems to jam up in corners, but Coredinations textured cuts beautifully. When J's has it on sale, I stock up on the colors I use the most, but AVOID the smooth stuff.

I feel Coredinations really missed the boat with their smooth cardstock.

I used Bazzill's Smooth cardstock...there are different types...I like the one called Smoothies. Heavy cardstock, smooth surface and cuts beautifully! There is also something called Card Shoppe. Its heavy too, lots of fun colors and great for detailed images/titles. I do a multi cut on 2 and set the blade at 3 or 4 depending on how new my blade is.

WIth your paper, try cutting with multi cut on 2 and your blade at 4 (or three if its a newer blade) and see if that helps. Also, is your mat sticky enough to hold it down? sometimes it just takes a new mat (or resticking an older one)

Hope this helps.

Cathy
Scraprageous Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 12:01:28 PM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 136 post(s)
I don't use it for highly detailed cuts, but the following works for me (and for the DCWV cardstock)

pressure medium
speed medium
blade 3 (or 4) depends on thickness

biggest thing - cut twice. Lighten everything up and make multiple cuts works best for thinner papers. Someone gave me a bunch and so I did some experimenting BigGrin didn't want to toss paper - especially when using for layerd projects.
southgirltexas Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 1:21:25 PM(UTC)
southgirltexas

I am serious y'all. All the Cordinations paper I have (I don't have the textured) cuts like a dream. I do not have to use multicut and there is no tearing at all on my cuts unless it is really small or really intricate.
scraphappy120 Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 1:24:18 PM(UTC)
scraphappy120

I have been using coordinations for as long as I can remember, at least a few years or longer...I use a cricut create. I keep my speed up to 2-3 bars and slower sometimes if it gives me trouble as thicker paper does the pressure all the way up and on the blade housing is always on 6 no matter what. also another think i have found is if I have an older blade it sometimes will tear or not cut all the way thru. another reason my paper will tear is if there is a piece of torn paper up in the blade housing.... I have started using my deep cutting blade alot of the time as I mostly cut heavy cardstock. If deep cutting blade not available use a new regular blade with those settings and see if that helps you out. sorry i get kinda wordy sometimes.......I hope this helps you outBigGrin
Scraprageous Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 1:41:00 PM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

BigGrin Southgirltexas - mine used to cut well, then I got a new blade and it never worked right again Blink. Tried 3 others since and it has never cut well until I tried the multi cut.

Don't loose that blade!!!!BigGrin BigGrin
laurahunter Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 1:53:37 PM(UTC)
laurahunter

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 271 post(s)
I have had an issue with the packaged J's papers but open stock works wonderfully for me.
CowgirlUp Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 2:37:38 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

United States

Was thanked: 868 time(s) in 706 post(s)
the value packs stuff (not open stock) is thinner then the open stock stuff. It cuts great in my machine. (except for the green and orange) I'm actually currently using the cream to cut out stuff from the Anna Griffin cartridge.

anywho, I use a semi new mat (not brand new, but fairly sticky still). my setting (This is the reg. Expression) high pressure, high speed (or med if its super super tight details) and blade on 3 or 4, and i normally do multi-cut of 2. How ever this paper doesn't cut well in my baby bug no matter what settings i use. It may or may not work in your machine. I have noticed what papers cut well in the machines very from machine to machine. A lot of people swear by the bazzil paper and it will not cut in my machines no matter what i try.
nancyh Online
#16 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 3:42:42 PM(UTC)
nancyh

Was thanked: 559 time(s) in 420 post(s)
I never had good luck with the prepackaged coredinations papers from J's. The single sheets of cordinations however is fabulous. M's reflections paper is much better, and even better than that is CTMH paper. Love LOL
JoyceG Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 10:21:43 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 883 time(s) in 576 post(s)
I'm not sure if I've used CoreDinations cardstock or not in my machine. But I do know what for the longest time, any paper I would use would tear or not cut all the way thru. So I set pressure up to 6 and would cut 2 times. Lots of jagged edges. So I changed my blade and since then...any paper I have put in cuts like a hot knife in cold butter. I reset the pressure down to 4 but still cut 2 times. My mats are lasting a lot longer with the lighter pressure setting cause they aren't getting all cut up any more.

Joyce
Jooniper Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 11:27:00 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 802 time(s) in 578 post(s)
Neither my Mini nor Expression will cut the Core'dinations CS that comes in the assorted package from J's. It is too thin and too loose fibered to cut nicely. I have great results with J's open stock Core'dinations and the kind in a pad.
 1 user thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
rhondah* on 9/24/2013(UTC)
southgirltexas Offline
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:34:46 AM(UTC)
southgirltexas

Correct me if I am wrong.....

1. Buying cheap (even the paper that cuts well) is a bad thing.
2. New blades sometimes cuts shoddy.
3. Multicut sometimes chews up your paper.
4. You can cut textured paper?
5. Recollections paper from Michaels good CorDinations in a pack bad.

I wonder IF humidity has anything to do with it or the weft of the paper. Tear a news paper and then tear it sideways it tears wrong.

I am going in there and kissing my machine (and my blade) I swear to you I just put it on the light medium or heavy cut and it cuts well.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:45:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scraprageous Offline
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:00:54 AM(UTC)
Scraprageous

United States

LOLLOL

Buying cheap - not always a bad thing. Totally depends on use. (btw - I agree, humidity can enter the picture when cutting)

I use 'cheap' for parts of albums I make (the paper holds up well and sticks great) - especially when creating multiple layers. Get the color without the weight. Just need a sharp blade to cut. Detailed cuts - my favorite is AC Cardstock or the open stock Core'dinations from Jo Anns. They always cut reliably. Bazzil is nice when I need an exact match, but doesn't do well with intricate shapes. Doublemates is just fun, but always needs two cuts. Thicker isn't always better. DCWV solid cardstock seems to have a weird coating and needs two cuts, but their regular cardstock stacks cut great. The ColorBok from Walmart seems to cut very well too. Love that I can get basic colors quickly (45 minutes to any other store).

Depends on the use BigGrin

Sometimes new blades are shoddy - I return them and get others (after a few words under my breathLaugh).

I have never run into multi-cuts chewing up my paper so really don't know.

Michaels isn't close, so I seldom shop there. No idea on that paper. I use the Core'dinations packs all the times - just depends on the use.

You are definitely right on the grain of paper - there is one - just like fabric. Put paper in the wrong way and you will notice right off. Usually I only run into grain issues with paper - not so much with cardstock. (you can also tell when folding - fold the wrong way and the fibers crack)