Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

GraceBaxter Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 1:33:54 PM(UTC)
GraceBaxter

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 322 time(s) in 156 post(s)
As far as a new machine from PC goes, why would anyone need another cutting device? What we really need is an improved version of the Gypsy! I say that not just because my Gypsy has never worked properly since day one, but rather because NOW I know what a Gypsy needs to be able to do. There are times when I want to conjoin shapes and keep some details to create a totally different cut. This is more than welding and more like redesigning existing shapes. And PLEASE, Provocraft, do not assume everyone wants to use the CCR. It's not that great. The process is slow and awkward. It's bad enough that we can no longer get REAL Cricut magazines delivered to our homes to enjoy... we have been forced to read digital versions online. Don't get me started on that rant. I STILL want a magazine to hold in my hands, to read in bed, or on a long drive, or to prop up on my craft table for inspiration while I create something. Why must everything be digital? Bring back the Gypsy ... only better!
 7 users thanked GraceBaxter for this useful post.
Merrie Jones on 8/12/2013(UTC), Scrapperdee on 8/12/2013(UTC), Shelly on 8/12/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/17/2013(UTC), joyfullycrafting on 8/17/2013(UTC), St.Kittsscrapper on 8/17/2013(UTC), Josie0602 on 8/18/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 1:44:57 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18420 time(s) in 8187 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GraceBaxter Go to Quoted Post
As far as a new machine from PC goes, why would anyone need another cutting device? What we really need is an improved version of the Gypsy! I say that not just because my Gypsy has never worked properly since day one, but rather because NOW I know what a Gypsy needs to be able to do. There are times when I want to conjoin shapes and keep some details to create a totally different cut. This is more than welding and more like redesigning existing shapes. And PLEASE, Provocraft, do not assume everyone wants to use the CCR. It's not that great. The process is slow and awkward. It's bad enough that we can no longer get REAL Cricut magazines delivered to our homes to enjoy... we have been forced to read digital versions online. Don't get me started on that rant. I STILL want a magazine to hold in my hands, to read in bed, or on a long drive, or to prop up on my craft table for inspiration while I create something. Why must everything be digital? Bring back the Gypsy ... only better!

Ummm. . .the gypsy is digital. Huh
patv Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 1:46:10 PM(UTC)
patv

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I agree
 1 user thanked patv for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/12/2013(UTC)
nightmare/fan Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 1:55:54 PM(UTC)
nightmare/fan

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I am in total agreement with you!
And while the Gypsy is digital it is that it does not have to be linked to the internet!
Jeanne
 3 users thanked nightmare/fan for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/12/2013(UTC), jojoy on 8/12/2013(UTC), DBCMC on 8/21/2013(UTC)
jscraftylady Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 2:02:53 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2027 time(s) in 1104 post(s)
I just don't think it makes sense for PC to produce a piece of hardware that only works with Cricut. I think most people would not want to carry yet another device around with them. I would like to see a better piece of software or even better than that, an app for my iPad.BigGrin
Merrie Jones Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 3:14:59 PM(UTC)
Merrie Jones

Was thanked: 575 time(s) in 250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
I just don't think it makes sense for PC to produce a piece of hardware that only works with Cricut. I think most people would not want to carry yet another device around with them. I would like to see a better piece of software or even better than that, an app for my iPad.BigGrin

I guess I am not most people.BigGrin I like the Gypsy because I 'can' carry it around & not be tied to a computer & the Internet- and an ipad app wouldn't do me any good. Don't have one & don't plan on getting one. Unfortunately, whatever they do will not satisfy everyone. JMHO Smile
 4 users thanked Merrie Jones for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/12/2013(UTC), jojoy on 8/12/2013(UTC), nightmare/fan on 8/13/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/17/2013(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 4:40:17 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Was thanked: 1210 time(s) in 763 post(s)
A new version of the gypsy that designs in colors and/or patterns would be fantastic.

Asking for opinions, will a tablet (either android or apple) have enough processing power, ram and disk space to work a program that stores all our carts and cuts. The one I have could not even load a Photoshop app that was built for androids. Just wondering if this option will create as many problems as CCR does for people that don't have a fast enough internet connection and maybe it will need to wait until tablets are beefed up with powerful processors, RAM and disk space. If it is a tablet app, I would wait a year or so before buying it so that all the bugs could be worked out.

Otherwise, it might be like so many other apps that are actually cloud applications and you need to be connected to the internet to use.

Mary
 2 users thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/12/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/17/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 5:29:23 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
Most tablets can load up to 64G with an sd cards. I have literally every single handbook loaded on my Kindle Fire and it takes up only about 1.5G. That's with full page color graphics in pdf format.

Not to mention - have you seen some of the graphic heavy games that are loaded onto tablets?? Some of those things are whoppers.

Now, I really don't know how much techno power a Gypsy uses, but storage of small bit images usually don't take up much RAM. I think with todays technology it should be possible to create an app for a tablet. The bigger hurdle that I could see, would be that most tablets don't come with standard usb ports. They come with micro usb ports. So in theory IF provocraft were to develop a Gypsy app for a tablet - - - - - how would we hook the tablet to the machine? Well, I guess we would need a different usb cord for machine to tablet?

That doesn't sound insurmountable, but what do I know? I have no idea how that would impact on the performance of the machine.

Sooo, I don't know......
 3 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/12/2013(UTC), MaryStillman on 8/13/2013(UTC), joyfullycrafting on 8/17/2013(UTC)
jscraftylady Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 5:47:53 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: MaryStillman Go to Quoted Post
A new version of the gypsy that designs in colors and/or patterns would be fantastic.

Asking for opinions, will a tablet (either android or apple) have enough processing power, ram and disk space to work a program that stores all our carts and cuts. The one I have could not even load a Photoshop app that was built for androids. Just wondering if this option will create as many problems as CCR does for people that don't have a fast enough internet connection and maybe it will need to wait until tablets are beefed up with powerful processors, RAM and disk space. If it is a tablet app, I would wait a year or so before buying it so that all the bugs could be worked out.

Otherwise, it might be like so many other apps that are actually cloud applications and you need to be connected to the internet to use.

Mary

Well, the Gypsy has very little processing power compared to a tablet so I am sure an app could handle anything a Gypsy could. I did envision it needing an internet connection and an account log on like pretty much every app I use. These days I never really think about that as an issue.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
MaryStillman on 8/13/2013(UTC)
jscraftylady Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 5:50:49 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Originally Posted by: sewnmachine Go to Quoted Post
Most tablets can load up to 64G with an sd cards. I have literally every single handbook loaded on my Kindle Fire and it takes up only about 1.5G. That's with full page color graphics in pdf format.

Not to mention - have you seen some of the graphic heavy games that are loaded onto tablets?? Some of those things are whoppers.

Now, I really don't know how much techno power a Gypsy uses, but storage of small bit images usually don't take up much RAM. I think with todays technology it should be possible to create an app for a tablet. The bigger hurdle that I could see, would be that most tablets don't come with standard usb ports. They come with micro usb ports. So in theory IF provocraft were to develop a Gypsy app for a tablet - - - - - how would we hook the tablet to the machine? Well, I guess we would need a different usb cord for machine to tablet?

That doesn't sound insurmountable, but what do I know? I have no idea how that would impact on the performance of the machine.

Sooo, I don't know......

I imagined a wireless connection with an adapter like how I connect my iPad to my TV and my thermostat and my security system, etc. They are all on Wifi and each have their own build-in or add-on adapter. That eliminates the need for special cords.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
MaryStillman on 8/13/2013(UTC)
nightmare/fan Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 7:10:22 PM(UTC)
nightmare/fan

United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 138 post(s)
The problem for me with needing wifi connection is that twice a year I go for scrapbooking weekends to places that are in isolated areas and there is not internet!
Jeanne
 1 user thanked nightmare/fan for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/12/2013(UTC)
mriser76e871fa39 Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 7:27:12 PM(UTC)
mriser76e871fa39

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm praying that Provo will get
something going and save
my gypsy from being obsolete and
a waste of my money

I just can't understand why
Provo doesn't remember it's
purpose

Yall pray with me that
Provo will awaken to
serve the consumer
not the cartridge
 4 users thanked mriser76e871fa39 for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/12/2013(UTC), joyfullycrafting on 8/12/2013(UTC), nightmare/fan on 8/13/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/17/2013(UTC)
Scrapperdee Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 7:39:17 PM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4074 time(s) in 2335 post(s)
AMEN SISTER! From your lips to PC's deaf ears.

Something portable, not dependent on the internet and using the gypsy program (and not the substandard ccr one) would be amazing and sell like hot cakes.
 3 users thanked Scrapperdee for this useful post.
stampwishes on 8/13/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/17/2013(UTC), joyfullycrafting on 8/17/2013(UTC)
joyfullycrafting Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 8:26:13 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
I LOVE my Gypsy. Some kind of updated Gypsy would be wonderful

Not interested in CCR. Don't want to be tied to the internet and a computer. I don't have a worthwhile computer in my craft room, nor do I want to have to move the computer I do use every time I would want to use CCR. Which I don't.

An app or tablet type device that I would not have to be online to use would be GREAT.

4 users thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/13/2013(UTC), nightmare/fan on 8/13/2013(UTC), stampwishes on 8/13/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/17/2013(UTC)
CricutLadyBug Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:38:54 AM(UTC)
CricutLadyBug

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Yes, Yes, Yes, I love the Gypsy and the reason is its not connected to the computer on a regular basis only for updates. I do not want my crafts and my computer near each other (lol) I work on a computer all day and that is enough. I originally got rid of my other cutting machines of past because you need the computer. When the cricut came out and Lisa Bearnson on QVC said no computer needed I screamed "that's the cutting device for me". Then I saw we could not weld, but along came the ole Gypsy Gal. They said they would bring more apps but instead kicked her to the curb and got sloppy with production so many folks Gypsy did not work. I wish they would expand on the Gypsy because its a fabulous tool and accessory to the cricut world.
 5 users thanked CricutLadyBug for this useful post.
nightmare/fan on 8/17/2013(UTC), BJR on 8/17/2013(UTC), joyfullycrafting on 8/17/2013(UTC), Josie0602 on 8/18/2013(UTC), Scrapperdee on 8/19/2013(UTC)
♥Buggy♥ Offline
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:41:41 AM(UTC)
♥Buggy♥

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 75 post(s)
totally agree! can't imagine using my cricut without my gypsy! Since the Gypsy is discontinued, will the new carts continue to be added to the gypsy?
Huh
 1 user thanked ♥Buggy♥ for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 8/19/2013(UTC)
Krissypapercrafts Offline
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:47:52 PM(UTC)
Krissypapercrafts

Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 103 post(s)
I would love a new and improved Gyspy or even the same G with added features! I love my G, I hate to buy new carts because I don't want to update my G to use the features I love about my G .... I'm afraid it won't work after the update and she will die! (I tend to buy more lite carts now). I do have a tablet, but like others say.... if you need an internet connection to use the app I'm not interested in that either. I would like to see a new Cricut machine that can do all the features that CCR can do without the internet connection or the G brought back! I also like the cartridges, rather than digital ones online. I was really pleased to see that PC is listening to it's customers and they are still making carts, however I can't use my G with the new ones so I don't purchase them. Except the more user friendly lite carts! I would still love to do all the features that my G can do! Thanks for listening ... I just hope PC is listening to it's customers. A girl can dream, can't she?
 1 user thanked Krissypapercrafts for this useful post.
BJR on 8/18/2013(UTC)
Jessie Adams Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 11:24:49 AM(UTC)
Jessie Adams

Was thanked: 1011 time(s) in 652 post(s)
I like designing with my G.
I can take it anywhere.

But, PC has blown it when it comes to the upgrades.
I've had success with only 1 and my second attempt lost all of my files.Crying
So, I no longer take a chance and, therefore, haven't been able to connect any of my newer cartridges.