Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

grammasue Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:49:03 AM(UTC)
grammasue

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 265 post(s)
I am interested in making a donation to help the victims of this awful tornado. Anyone have ideas of organizations to donate to that will go directly to those that lost everything. I normally donate to Red Cross but if there is a local organization where the help will be distributed to meet there local immediate needs, I would prefer my money go to them. I understand the Red Cross is there helping too. Folks who have suffered in past similar events have complained that money raised was slow in getting to those needing help.

Sending prayers to those suffering from the tornado in Oklahoma
TeresaPorter Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:48:32 AM(UTC)
TeresaPorter

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Convoy of Hope is headed there now. You can text CONVOY to 50555 and give $10.00 over your cell phone. It is a great organization that goes around the world to help in disaster areas
Scootingranny Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:55:48 AM(UTC)
Scootingranny

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 3422 time(s) in 1869 post(s)
Robyn of My Pink Stamper just posted this on Facebook: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/1W3Vb

I don't know this woman or this group but this might be someone for you to consider.
Olivia'sNana Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:11:04 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 779 time(s) in 351 post(s)
GrammaSue -

Governor Mary Fallin just completed a press conference giving updates to the devestating situation. Her comments were there are many associations that accept donations for relief. She specifically names Red Cross and Salvation Army. They are two of the known reputable organizations that are on the ground now providing food, water and other needs to the search and rescue teams who are working around the clock to complete the search and rescue phase. They are also setting up shelters and providing immediate financial assistance for families who are homeless and needing immediate assistance. She suggested that anyone who is outside the local area wanting to offer financial assistance (which is what is the most needed at this time) that to donate to Red Cross or Salvation Army and designate to the Oklahoma Tornado Recovery. Another organization that Gov Fallin mentioned was the OK Baptist Association.

I am about 100 miles south of Moore, Oklahoma and it is so unbelievable what has happened. I pray that all of my fellow Okies out there on the message board areound the Shawnee, Moore and Oklahoma City are OK. - Please let us know that you are. I watched the tornado on the news as it was happening from the channel 4 news helicopter yesterday and could not believe what I was seeing.They followed it live from beginning to end for almost an hour. We were under tornado warnings in my county and had 21 friends neighbors and family in my craft room basement until almost 10:00 last night. Fortunantly all we got was loss of electricity until about 10:00 ths morning.
 1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
Leanner on 5/22/2013(UTC)
Lguild Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:59:11 PM(UTC)
Lguild

Was thanked: 1717 time(s) in 690 post(s)
We live about 50 miles from Moore and decided to send our money to www.feedthe children.com.

They have such buying power that they can buy 5 times the amount of merchandise that you can. i.e. a $100 donation buys $500 worth of items.

DH has worked with Feed the Children through our local food bank so we felt very comfortable that the funds would be put to good use for the Moore tornado victims as well as the rescue workers.

They've had their semi-trucks at the OKC TV stations accepting donations but we just donated online. I figure they know more of what folks need than I do.
 1 user thanked Lguild for this useful post.
ArcadiaFLNative on 5/23/2013(UTC)
grammasue Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:27:18 PM(UTC)
grammasue

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 265 post(s)
One of my thoughts was to set up a fund with a bank there or some reliable source to donate to a CAR FUND for folks that lost their transportation. A bank could work with car dealers to find reliable transportation for folks in need of a car. I was reading the other day in our newspaper that the three girls who were held hostage has a fund set up for them which is up to $650,000. Not sure if FEMA purchases cars for those in these disaster situations.

Our paper today had a long article on asking folks to donate money and NOT to offer volunteer services as it takes away from those there trying to coordinate all the extra help and donated items.