Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

kateprotherodavies4eefe066 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:13:46 PM(UTC)
kateprotherodavies4eefe066

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/18/2013(UTC)
Posts: 3

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So - PC. If I buy a printer I expect to be able to print any image I want to (not just the ones epson/hp are greedy enough to try and sell me). How is the cricut any different please?

Anyway... I found this post http://svgcuts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cricut-statement.jpg which (if true) - would lead me to believe in April we will have a version of craft room that will allow us to print our own SVG files (yes PC - we are all creative and computer literate enough to produce our own graphics, we don't need to be spoon fed the images you say we want).

Could someone from provocraft please confirm this, before I sling the cricut in the bin and buy a brand that actually works?

Thank you in advance.

 1 user thanked kateprotherodavies4eefe066 for this useful post.
maria_k_olivera942790e on 9/27/2013(UTC)
scrapalette Online
#2 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:22:06 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,079
United States
Location: Alpharetta Georgia

Thanks: 8324 times
Was thanked: 18426 time(s) in 8189 post(s)
You need to check the date on the post you referenced. . .it's from when CCR was first announced a couple of years ago. And, it doesn't state customers will be able to cut .svg files, just "their own images". There are lots of different cutter file types out there {.gsd, .dxf, etc} not just .svg.

All of the printers on the market operate the same. A Cricut is a cartridge based cutter, which operates differently from a software based cutter.
deleted Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:31:32 PM(UTC)
deleted

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/26/2012(UTC)
Posts: 188

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Yea - that statement is at least two years old. I highly doubt that Cricut will ever be anything but cartridge based.

You can manipulate shapes into somewhat custom designs, but I am guessing that will be the closest to "your own shapes" that you will get any time soon.

Don't sling your machine in the bin, sell it! :)

Since discussion of competing machines is not allowed - I won't go into that... :)



sewnmachine Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:45:26 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 2/4/2012(UTC)
Posts: 615

Thanks: 51 times
Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
Even though the official statement is dated, reading that LAST paragraph does lead you to believe that they are suggesting the ability to "cut their own images that are NOT in the CCR library".

It's a rather fuzzy statement. But honestly I would also come away with the impression that I could cut images other than proprietary cricut images. Especially since they prefaced that last paragraph defending their decision to sue MTC and other independent software versions.

Of course it's all a moot point now. That statement was a long time ago, and here we are....still trying to just get CCR to stop the "initializing" loop.
no1nct Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 5:32:57 AM(UTC)
no1nct

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1

Originally Posted by: scrapalette Go to Quoted Post
You need to check the date on the post you referenced. . .it's from when CCR was first announced a couple of years ago. And, it doesn't state customers will be able to cut .svg files, just "their own images". There are lots of different cutter file types out there {.gsd, .dxf, etc} not just .svg.

All of the printers on the market operate the same. A Cricut is a cartridge based cutter, which operates differently from a software based cutter.



Ok, so I know this is old, but if the Cricut is just a cartridge based cutter, it should not have a usb input that allows anything to send cut directions (not even CCR). The usb should be for updates only with no cut drivers. All it is, is a cutter/plotter that allows users to have the convenience of cartridges. I like my cartridges. Although I haven't purchased anymore cartridges since this whole mess, I also haven't sold my E because I like the convenience of the cartridges. I also have a Gypsy with dozens of cartridges that I can't really sell because it is now linked to CCR. I just don't buy anymore cartridges (unless they are used and cheap) so I can save my money for another cutter.

I have done a lot of research on this. The only way anyone would be infringing on a patent is if they produced cartridges that were compatible with the Cricut, or produced a cheap knockoff cutter that allowed users to use Cricut cartridges since the cartridge system is really the only thing that can be patented. And yes, patents can apply to different functions of an item.

The law suits were settled because none of these small companies wants to go bankrupt fighting lawsuits and appeals.
sewnmachine Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:18:45 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 2/4/2012(UTC)
Posts: 615

Thanks: 51 times
Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
It would be wonderful though if PC would open up CCR to allow 3rd party cuts. Then we would have the best of both worlds - using our cartridges w/o the use of a computer and, - using CCR to cut anything we want on THEIR machines. win/win.
 1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
maria_k_olivera942790e on 9/27/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:22:04 AM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 2/4/2012(UTC)
Posts: 615

Thanks: 51 times
Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
And although I certainly would not be privy to this information, I would be keenly interested in knowing what their vision for the future of Provo Craft really is. If it is nothing more than proprietary digital images and embossing folders - they're doomed.
bearcatnat Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:42:24 PM(UTC)
bearcatnat

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/13/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,091
Location: Ohio

Thanks: 140 times
Was thanked: 435 time(s) in 257 post(s)
I agree that it would be wonderful to be able to cut our own images. Contrary to what many PC folk think, Cricut users won't stop buying their pre-designed image files or cartridges if we are allowed to cut our own designs. There will still be people who aren't creative or skilled enough to design their own files, and lots of times I want to buy something because it's quicker than starting from scratch. As long as cartridges and images PC puts out continue to show creativity and innovation, we'll still buy.

But there is also the crowd who is more computer savvy and wants to do even more with the Cricut, including designing our own files. It would even be cool to be able to mix my own designs with PC images, so I can customize their images. Like many others, I already do this, but it's a little harder to do when we don't have the tools that other companies are giving their customers - like the ability to import Adobe Illustrator files. Please listen, ProvoCraft!
 1 user thanked bearcatnat for this useful post.
maria_k_olivera942790e on 9/27/2013(UTC)
MaryStillman Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:59:22 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Joined: 1/30/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,013

Thanks: 1158 times
Was thanked: 1210 time(s) in 763 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bearcatnat Go to Quoted Post
But there is also the crowd who is more computer savvy and wants to do even more with the Cricut, including designing our own files. It would even be cool to be able to mix my own designs with PC images, so I can customize their images. Like many others, I already do this, but it's a little harder to do when we don't have the tools that other companies are giving their customers - like the ability to import Adobe Illustrator files. Please listen, ProvoCraft!


You might be interested in this website. Nadia takes cricut images to a whole new creative level.

http://withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com/

Mary

 1 user thanked MaryStillman for this useful post.
scrapalette Online
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:36:33 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Rank: Advanced Member

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Joined: 7/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 23,079
United States
Location: Alpharetta Georgia

Thanks: 8324 times
Was thanked: 18426 time(s) in 8189 post(s)
Originally Posted by: no1nct Go to Quoted Post
Ok, so I know this is old, but if the Cricut is just a cartridge based cutter, it should not have a usb input that allows anything to send cut directions (not even CCR). The usb should be for updates only with no cut drivers. All it is, is a cutter/plotter that allows users to have the convenience of cartridges. I like my cartridges. Although I haven't purchased anymore cartridges since this whole mess, I also haven't sold my E because I like the convenience of the cartridges. I also have a Gypsy with dozens of cartridges that I can't really sell because it is now linked to CCR. I just don't buy anymore cartridges (unless they are used and cheap) so I can save my money for another cutter.

I have done a lot of research on this. The only way anyone would be infringing on a patent is if they produced cartridges that were compatible with the Cricut, or produced a cheap knockoff cutter that allowed users to use Cricut cartridges since the cartridge system is really the only thing that can be patented. And yes, patents can apply to different functions of an item.

The law suits were settled because none of these small companies wants to go bankrupt fighting lawsuits and appeals.


Even though the Cricut is a cart based system, it can still have {and does have} a USB port. It's for using the Cricut software programs, which use the cart images and allow you to manipulate those images.

I don't think there was ever any discussion about infringing on a patent. The lawsuits were about infringing on copyrighted artwork.

We all have our opinions on why the cases were settled out of court but only the person sued and their lawyer know.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.688 seconds.
nebo-cricut-01