Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Calmom Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:29:46 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2092 time(s) in 1068 post(s)
I was wondering if PC could write a program to allow us to download CCR to the IPad and design a cable that would allow us to connect our IPad to our Cricut Machine for cutting.

I don't know anything about computers but if PC could do that, it would be like our Gypsy, except a larger screen, which would be great.

Would PC have to get Apple's approval for the connector cable? Is it even possible to design a software program to accomplish this?

I love my Cricut Images, E2 and Gypsy but I'm not a fan of CCR because I don't want to be forced to sit in front of a computer. At least with the IPad it is mobile.

Just thinking

1 user thanked Calmom for this useful post.
jojoy on 5/7/2013(UTC)
jojoy Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:33:30 AM(UTC)
jojoy

United States

Was thanked: 8769 time(s) in 3067 post(s)
That's funny, but since they said the Gypsy was being discontinued, I've been thinking the same thing. I really don't think I would use a Tablet for much, but I was thinking about the Gypsy. I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about a tablet. If it has a usb port and you connect to CCR through the internet, why couldn't you connect your Expression (or whichever machine you have), to the tablet and have it cut? Please don't laugh, I'm sure you can't do that, but doesn't that sound really simple????

Edited by user Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:39:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joyfullycrafting Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:36:37 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
Not only an ipad, but an android tablet as well, please!!!
 1 user thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
Calmom on 5/7/2013(UTC)
Calmom Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:58:43 PM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2092 time(s) in 1068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JoJoy Go to Quoted Post
That's funny, but since they said the Gypsy was being discontinued, I've been thinking the same thing. I really don't think I would use a Tablet for much, but I was thinking about the Gypsy. I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about a tablet. If it has a usb port and you connect to CCR through the internet, why couldn't you connect your Expression (or whichever machine you have), to the tablet and have it cut? Please don't laugh, I'm sure you can't do that, but doesn't that sound really simple????

It makes sense to me about the USB connector

1 user thanked Calmom for this useful post.
jojoy on 5/7/2013(UTC)
GracefulGrammar Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:13:46 PM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1628 time(s) in 747 post(s)

More info then you want to know about selling Apple apps:

http://cplus.about.com/o...pp_store_development.htm

Apple is very picky......... and all apps for sale in the Apple Apps store have to meet their standards. Like Cricut cutting machines, the Apple machines are closed architect.......

Originally Posted by: Calmom Go to Quoted Post
I was wondering if PC could write a program to allow us to download CCR to the IPad and design a cable that would allow us to connect our IPad to our Cricut Machine for cutting.

I don't know anything about computers but if PC could do that, it would be like our Gypsy, except a larger screen, which would be great.

Would PC have to get Apple's approval for the connector cable? Is it even possible to design a software program to accomplish this?

I love my Cricut Images, E2 and Gypsy but I'm not a fan of CCR because I don't want to be forced to sit in front of a computer. At least with the IPad it is mobile.

Just thinking

joyfullycrafting Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:06:23 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Originally Posted by: JoJoy Go to Quoted Post

I think it has something to do with Adobe Flash Drive. You would have to have something like that on your tablet for CCR to work. I actuallly remember, I think, reading a thread about this not too long ago. Someone found an app that was like Flash Drive, and, again I think, WAS able to use their tablet with CCR. But I have no idea who started the thread that told about this.
jojoy on 5/7/2013(UTC)
joyfullycrafting Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:23:39 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

It took me a while, but I finally found the thread! The gal who did all of this amazingly hard work on this says you can design, but cannot cut. You can save the design, then open up your regular computer to cut.

http://www.cricut.com/fo...-CCR-online-version.aspx
jojoy on 5/7/2013(UTC)
Linda Ajello Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:47:48 PM(UTC)
Linda Ajello

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Along the same line of thought- I was told that the Hewlitt Packard tablet SURFACE WAS adobe supported- so in theory, this tablet (very similar to ipad!) could work with craft room. Have been hinting and hinting and hinting- it is Mother's day soon- but do not have Surface yet. I have a daughter who is very physically disabled and she can work the ipad but it is VERY hard for her to use the gypsy or the craft room. She will go for left hand serial finger casting soon- she did the right hand last year- and then surgery on left hand. This would allow her to use the one hand without casts to design. We lost months last year with craft room as she recovered, and still using the laptop with the craft room is hard with both the external mouse and built in mouse.
Has anyone out there tried the Surface and craft room?
 1 user thanked Linda Ajello for this useful post.
Calmom on 5/7/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:01:53 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
Oh my gosh! Don't even get me started on this!!!!!

No, let me start - - -

To begin, why does cricut.com not even recognize an Android operating system??? I have an Android Silk tablet (Amazon Kindle Fire) and a Samsung smart phone. Both android. I can't even sign into the cricut website. Unbelievable! When my old laptop died, I had to buy another laptop with windows just to be able to use CCR. What I wanted was a 10" Android tablet.

And to Calmom - your idea is not far fetched. In fact any company that sells tech products, which is what updatable cutting machines are should be able to work with all 3 operating systems (windows, iOS and Android). Most tablets do have a mini usb port for charging. Most tablets should have enough expandable memory to install a program.

Yes, Apple is a proprietary closed system. But ANDROID is not. It's open. Wide open.

An app for a tablet would virtually turn that tablet into a 7 or 10" Gypsy! How awesome would that be????

But that begs the question - why is Cricut so far behind the tech curve that they can't or won't develop something like this? That could put them leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. Because I don't care how wonderful those other machines are, the users are still tied to a computer!

I understand the Gypsy is old technology. But a tablet app would more than level the playing field.

And yes, there is an apple app that will install flash. I installed it on my ipod and it works. But I seriously don't want to design on CCR on my ipod. Much easier on the ipad or even the ipad mini - but then you still have to hook up to your laptop to cut.

I hope PC is reading THIS thread.

1 user thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
Calmom on 5/7/2013(UTC)
JudiLuvz2CutPaper Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:31:51 AM(UTC)
JudiLuvz2CutPaper

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1213 time(s) in 684 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Calmom Go to Quoted Post

Just thinking

App development is constantly evolving, and I'm sure, if I can wirelessly print from my iPad, something like what you described wouldn't be too difficult.