Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

scrapinmom66 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:22:59 AM(UTC)
scrapinmom66

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
How does everyone do it? Find time to scrap?? I work and have off two days a week, I use those days to do errands and clean. Don't say stay up late cause I am no longer a night owl..Crying I really wish I had more time to complete some of the projects that I started!!
 1 user thanked scrapinmom66 for this useful post.
rhondah* on 4/26/2013(UTC)
CricutCutie Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:01:02 AM(UTC)
CricutCutie

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I think you'll find most folks will tell you that we tend to craft in fits and starts and it's a matter of prioritizing this and putting some other stuff off.

I feel your pain though. I also work during the week (am out of the house by 6:30am and back home @ 6pm). I'm lucky to have a stay-at-home hubby that can do some errands during the week like buying groceries but we still tend to have a list of to-do's for the weekend.

My biggest struggle is that I also am a voracious reader and struggle to find a way to juggle 2 time-heavy hobbies. For me, what works best, is to break my projects down in stages. For instance, I just recently (FINALLY!) scrapped our last 4 vacations (dating back to 2007). While watching TV with hubby one night, I went through my saved pics and decided which ones best represented the trips and uploaded those to CVS for printing. The next night, I started typing up some of my journaling to go with my pictures. I used Word text boxes so I could easily adjust the size/ shape to fit my layouts later. I can often do this type of pre-work for 3 or 4 of my projects at a time. Another good one is to flip through embellishments/papers to chose what you think will go with your layouts and put them all together.

By the time it comes to actually scrapping, it's just a matter of putting it all together. I don't usually get more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch at one time to scrap and can drag projects out for extended periods of time. Last year, I did no layouts and only a handful of cards. So far this year, I've completed 6 double layouts and 2 albums - and I can't explain where the motivation has come from but I'm happy to have it back!

Charlene
 1 user thanked CricutCutie for this useful post.
dansgg2 on 4/26/2013(UTC)
nightmare/fan Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:23:23 AM(UTC)
nightmare/fan

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I have a small group of scrappers including my sister, sister-in-law and my niece and we try to make sure we get together at least once a month for scrapping or card making and that way it is in our schedules and that is when I get most of my crafting done! Sometimes you just have to remember to have time for yourselves which I know is so difficult this day and age with some much to do in our busy lives!
Jeanne
 1 user thanked nightmare/fan for this useful post.
rhondah* Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:28:46 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

United States

Was thanked: 12392 time(s) in 8263 post(s)
It's tough, for sure! I make time on weekends because before and after work just doesn't happen. I'm too tired. My house cleaning suffers, but it all seems to work out....and now that it's nice out I want to make time for gardening. It's always something!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
 1 user thanked rhondah* for this useful post.
jscraftylady Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:34:32 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2035 time(s) in 1109 post(s)
I find that I will have a few good weeks here and there where I can fit in a lot of crafting and the rest of the time I just fit in a tiny bit where I can. Summer break is coming up and that pretty much means no crafting for me for several months because the kids will get all my time.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
CricketCMV Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:57:50 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
When the kids were growing up.....no time to craft.
When they got a little older and I worked full time....no time to craft.
When they left to go to college....I was still working full time and doing as the OP said...leaving home by 6:30am and getting back around 6:00pm....NO TIME TO CRAFT.
When I retired in 2005, other things take over that you never did before....not a lot of time to craft.

I admire those who can fit it all in.

Char
 1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
Scrapperdee Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:58:53 AM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4075 time(s) in 2336 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nightmare/fan Go to Quoted Post
I have a small group of scrappers including my sister, sister-in-law and my niece and we try to make sure we get together at least once a month for scrapping or card making and that way it is in our schedules and that is when I get most of my crafting done! Sometimes you just have to remember to have time for yourselves which I know is so difficult this day and age with some much to do in our busy lives!
Jeanne

This is me too - we try to meet once a month but often it's every few months because of conflicting schedules. If we didn't meet I'd do nothing
Leahdax Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 9:05:21 AM(UTC)
Leahdax

United States

Was thanked: 354 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Like others have said, I scrap in starts and fits. I have found that as I learn more techniques and have more supplies I can get projects done faster because I don't have to run to the store for every element I want to include. I also save photos of projects for inspiration and design ideas. My Imagine has helped me to get my disney pages done much faster since I don't have to hunt for a thousand different shades of cardstock - I just plug the RGB codes for the colors I want into the Imagine and have it print and cut my images all at once.
LazyBee Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:02:32 AM(UTC)
LazyBee

United States

Was thanked: 637 time(s) in 304 post(s)
I can't honestly say finding time is difficult presently, but I do know that it can be difficult when everything in life gets in the way. I have lots of hobbies and have been crafting most of my life, during which I raised two children, worked full-time, then part-time and went to school as a full-time student. During this time of about 20 plus years I also was room mom, dance mom, and sports mom...spending a great deal of my time carting kids back and forth to practices, games and recitals and it didn't help my kids are 6 years apart...so I was going in all sorts of directions. I look back now and think how did I manage to do all that and still come home, clean the house, pay the bills, do all the laundry, grocery shopping, errands, work, school, kids, and put a hot meal on the table most every evening when hubby walked in the door (and I cook from scratch)...and somehow I still managed to make all the drapes/curtains in the house, sew dresses and shorts for the kids,bake cookies, have parties, read books, do what ever project I had floating around in my head at the time...I get tired just thinking about it...

Truthfully it was about priorities and choices and giving up sleep in order for me to have time doing something for myself, that gave me pleasure. I also would craft/read while listening to the television or not watch it altogether. I would take some things with me to the kids events and work on them, and I even used to take things to work on during break or lunch at work...it just depended on what it was...and yes I gave up precious sleep to work on projects... but most of all I had a schedule that I pretty much stuck too for doing the mundane things like work, housework, bills, shopping...and the kids where on there as well...that is how I kept my head above water and still managed to craft.
garagesaler Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:08:01 AM(UTC)
garagesaler

United States

Was thanked: 2438 time(s) in 1958 post(s)
I scrap late at night. It is calmer at night. I don't get much sleep, but at least I get to scrapbook. I am also trying to limit how many different types of papers and embellishments will go on a page. I did about 14 Christmas layouts in the last month or so. I limited myself to one type of paper pad, the same type of ribbon, and only a few cuts and titles for embellishments. I used the same cut for all of the journaling. It made things go faster for me. Otherwise, I start looking to find "the perfect paper" or ribbon, or whatever, and spend all my time looking for items rather than crafting. I am also spending less time on the message boards, and more time crafting.

Edited by user Friday, April 26, 2013 10:09:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 11:53:20 AM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I usually have a desk full of projects in progress. I don't work so I get more time then most but I still find that I am fighting time to get scrapping in most of the time. When I did work it seemed I had more time to scrap. because I would do it in the evenings to relax. It is easier when I have the projects out and I see them laying there needing to be done.

dansgg2 Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 12:52:22 PM(UTC)
dansgg2

Was thanked: 70 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I really appreciate every post on this thread. I am often hard on myself because I am at home and too often feel like I accomplish so little. I agree 110% with the need for priorities and routine. These two areas pay an important role in the quality of my life in general.
As for my crafting I have to remind myself that crafting isn't my being selfish. I utilize Project Life to document what goes on here in "real life." And because I home educate my youngest I utilize my cricut and many other fun toys with her and for her.
My middle child is going away to college in the fall so right now one of my ongoing projects is making a memory book for her to take along.
One of the posts here recommends working on projects in stages which is a GREAT idea, one I need to utilize more often.
And honestly --my time for and quality of my crafting would be greatly enhanced if I'd turn off the junk TV. Maybe cutting down on Pinterest would help too, but I do love Pinterest.
Looking forward to reading more posts here. Thanks for the topic.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:26:09 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
Ummmmmm......I don't.

I gather and plan and plot and buy carts and papers and stickers and books. That's half the fun, right!!???!!!

And since DH retired about two years ago, it is nearly impossible to get anything done! LOL
married05 Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 5:58:18 PM(UTC)
married05

Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 198 post(s)
I don't find time very easily. I teach full-time and have a one year old. I try when she's asleep, but that's usually when I get to actually try to clean the house. Sooner or later I'm going to get my mother-in-law to watch her for a few hours just so I can craft!
JoyceG Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 8:13:43 PM(UTC)
JoyceG

Was thanked: 884 time(s) in 576 post(s)
I have an abundance of free time. I work part time. So one would think that I'd get tons of layouts made each week. Just the opposite. I rarely get any done because I am either on facebook, and lately been spending hours in here reading and posting. It was neccessary when I first started really using my cricut to learn how to do things and fix things but now I'm just stalking everyone.Flapper Seriously though, when I spend too much time scrapping, I end up with headaches, sore neck, back and shoulders. I have to pace myself and slow down..I'm not 30 any more!!

Oh, and for the longest time..my scraproom was so dis-organized that I would be over whelmed just walking thru the door. I have spent weeks getting things organized so now I'm getting more comfortable being in there and working on things.

I also totally relate to LazyBee..about thinking back in time and wondering HOW did I ever get all the things done that I got done back then??!!

Joyce
Sara Andrews1 Offline
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:43:39 AM(UTC)
Sara Andrews1

Was thanked: 25176 time(s) in 6743 post(s)
I heart nap time!!Wink

I spend my evenings at my desk rather than on the sofa. So while the big kids and hubby are in the room watching TV and the littlest is doing laps around my desk, I'm generally working on something. Smile I try to have the house cleaning, grocery shopping, etc done by Friday night so that my spare time on the weekends can be spent crafting. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.Unsure

I hope you find something that works for you!Woot
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:21:16 AM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

United States

Was thanked: 12278 time(s) in 4981 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scrapinmom66 Go to Quoted Post
How does everyone do it? Find time to scrap?? I work and have off two days a week, I use those days to do errands and clean. Don't say stay up late cause I am no longer a night owl..Crying I really wish I had more time to complete some of the projects that I started!!

Who says we clean? Laugh Laugh
 1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
joyfullycrafting on 4/30/2013(UTC)
Di&Co Offline
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:13:39 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 19113 time(s) in 4930 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Go to Quoted Post
Who says we clean? Laugh Laugh

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL ditto!