Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Rice Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 1:10:06 PM(UTC)
Rice

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 79 post(s)
I am beginning to acquire quite a stash of cartridge cuts, mostly from the freebies that are offered. I try to cut samples I think I might use in the future while they are available for free. Does anyone else do this, and if so, how do you store them?

I also have quite a few very large cuts (some cardstock and some vinyl) that I store. These are mostly seasonal decorations that I plan to reuse. Right now I have the vinyl cuts stuck on the plastic coverings of my many Cricut mats, but I'm out of room on my mat covers. A lot of these cuts are up to 24", so that makes them really hard to store. Any inexpensive suggestions for storing these?

One more thing (if you're still with me). Wink I have been doing bulletin boards at my church. I will be reusing some of these, so I also need storage ideas for these.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
CowgirlUp Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 1:23:47 PM(UTC)
CowgirlUp

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 869 time(s) in 707 post(s)
I put my cuts in ziplock bags by cartridge and those are all in a bin. I put an index card with what cartridge those cuts came from. except Teddy Bear Parade I cut a whole page worth of "naked" bears at a time sometimes 2 or 3 pages, and those I have labeled with the bear size so I can easily just grab a naked bear and cut the outfit as I need them.

I can't help with the vinyl cuts, but with the bulletin boards, could you do the same idea put them in either a ziplock bag or a 12x12 pouch, like they sell for layout pages, or even that you can sometimes get paper in. labeled with season or theme they are? or if you needed something much longer what about a tub and separate them with blank paper or something.
 1 user thanked CowgirlUp for this useful post.
Rice on 3/5/2013(UTC)
Godot's Girl Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2013 1:44:18 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #388; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2438 time(s) in 1525 post(s)
I have mine stored in three ring binders. They are in baseball card, coupon sleeve, money, and full page sheet protectors. I put them in alphabetical order as well by what the cut is, with letter dividers. I also have a binder for numbers and holidays. It is in month order, with the numbers section at the end. This works really well for me, as the binders and sheet protectors I already had on hand for school and other such projects, and my brain likes to compartmentalize things. I can easily find a cut I am looking for, or just flip through the pages for inspiration. The cuts are well protected in their sleeves, no worries about something getting bent or loosing a piece that has come unglued. The binders are easily portable, and fit right on our library shelves at home, which is where I do my crafting. I have 6 binders all together, but they are not over stuffed. I am able to keep my extras to a reasonable amount because of the card classes I teach. The classes are another reason I store the extras the way I do. It is easy for others to pick up on my system. I teach classes to children 5 - 18, and even the youngest can figure out where to find a flower or a zebra, etc. And, if I don't have it, then we make it! HTH. Sorry I can't help with the vinyl or bulletin board cuts. I have seen a friend roll her larger vinyl cuts up into a wrapping paper tube after putting them on some type of backing, but I do not know how well that works. GG

Edited by user Monday, March 04, 2013 1:49:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Godot's Girl for this useful post.
Rice on 3/5/2013(UTC)
Rice Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:12:38 PM(UTC)
Rice

Right now I do have some of the smaller cuts in various size plastic ziploc bags, but they are just all mixed in together in a photo storage box. I do like the idea of a labeled filing system. Also, right after I posted this question, I thought about using a binder. Binders don't normally work for me, but in this case they just might.

You both have some very good suggestions. I think I'm going to experiment and see what works best. Also, today I found a nice box with a handle that my daughter's laptop came in. I think it might work for most of the larger cuts.

Thanks so much to both of you for your helpful tips!

SherrieStevens Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:39:02 PM(UTC)
SherrieStevens

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 144 post(s)
I have mine in a filing cabnet in baggies and I lable the folders with the cartridge name on them. Sherrie
 1 user thanked SherrieStevens for this useful post.
Rice on 3/9/2013(UTC)
joyfullycrafting Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 6:18:45 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
Sigh. You are all so organized. Sigh.
CrafteerMisadventures Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 4:50:31 PM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 527 time(s) in 372 post(s)
I store them in a folder with Page Protectors (for big cuts) that I Heat set in the middle to create two pockets. For smaller ones, I use baseball card Page Protectors. Or I recently found cupon page protectors at Walmart in the same Isle as the baseball card protectors.

Here are some picturs.
CrafteerMisadventures attached the following image(s):
DSC09014.JPG
DSC09012.JPG
DSC09017.JPG
DSC09011.JPG
 1 user thanked CrafteerMisadventures for this useful post.
Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
Cindy J Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 8:14:57 PM(UTC)
Cindy J

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Love these ideas! I don't purposely make extra cuts, but on occasion I will cut something and then realize it was the wrong size, color or won't work for the specific project I'm working on. So, in order not to waste paper, I set those aside thinking I can use them in the future. Any extras I have are kept in a pile or with my scrap paper, but as I read your comments I'm thinking it would be really easy (and smart) to store these in my PSB (Paper & Sticker Binder). I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Blushing And to take advantage of the opportunity and cut some out when they're free is even better! Blushing I imagine a notebook with the baseball card or regular page protectors would work the same as a PSB.

For vinyl, I've used freezer paper (it's plastic coated) to stick on when I'm not using it (for re-use or when I want to keep what I've weeded out). It sticks well, but not so well that it won't come off when needed. If it is rolled up and stored inside a tube (like a wrapping paper tube or shipping/mailing tube) it is safe from damage too. Also, if you have a lot of these tubes, you might want to label them so your cuts are easy to find.

Last, just a tip for the cuts on your bulletin board: if you haven't already, try to laminate them. It will make them more durable and preserve them longer. Using clear contact paper has the same effect.
HTH! BigGrin

- Cindy
 1 user thanked Cindy J for this useful post.
Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:15:16 AM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

United States

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 129 post(s)
For the great big ones go to dollar store and get some poster board. tape two or three sheets together at the bottom to make a three pocket folder, and you can store away the big stuff for very little cost. If you have a lot I would invest in an artist portfolio at an office supply store you can get the red called redrope ones pretty reasonably.
 1 user thanked PaperKrafter4Life for this useful post.
Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
blondolphn Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:03:11 AM(UTC)
blondolphn

United States

Was thanked: 5109 time(s) in 927 post(s)
I like to use the cascade containers that the dishwasher detergent comes in. I run them through the dishwasher when they are empty and a snazzy little storage container. Wahoo.
 1 user thanked blondolphn for this useful post.
Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:43:18 PM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

Was thanked: 527 time(s) in 372 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blondolphn Go to Quoted Post
I like to use the cascade containers that the dishwasher detergent comes in. I run them through the dishwasher when they are empty and a snazzy little storage container. Wahoo.

I love those containers! Though I mod podge some scrapbook paper on them and then fill them up with embellishments or ribbon. They work great as storage containers!
 2 users thanked CrafteerMisadventures for this useful post.
blondolphn on 3/13/2013(UTC), Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
Sunflowerbuggy Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:01:59 PM(UTC)
Sunflowerbuggy

United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
OOH Alicia P. I love that you design all your cuts too. Makes them totally finished and ready to use ThumpUp I also use baggies and binders but mine are usually practice cuts and I put the size of cut and cart on the backside.
 2 users thanked Sunflowerbuggy for this useful post.
CrafteerMisadventures on 3/12/2013(UTC), Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
cricaholic Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:24:50 PM(UTC)
cricaholic

Was thanked: 1172 time(s) in 667 post(s)
OhMyGod "SAVE for future use"....LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Laugh I never got around to using them......
BigGrin So I put all my extra cuts in a gallon zip bag and drop them off at a daycare near by.
Woot The director sure gets excited when she sees me coming....Wub The teachers LOVE my goody bags.....Tongue yes, I make extra cuts for holidays....ThumpUp
 1 user thanked cricaholic for this useful post.
Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
blondolphn Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:12:07 AM(UTC)
blondolphn

United States

Originally Posted by: CrafteerMisadventures (AliciaPettus) Go to Quoted Post
I love those containers! Though I mod podge some scrapbook paper on them and then fill them up with embellishments or ribbon. They work great as storage containers!

Good call. I've been wanting to decorate my containers, but I haven't gotten that far yet. But I agree, great storage containers and a good size for crafty stuff.
CricketCMV Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:21:44 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blondolphn Go to Quoted Post

Can you show us what these look like? All I can see is my cardboard box....and, I don't think I can run that through my dishwasher. LOL. Can you tell DH usually buys my Cascade for me?? I'll have to check this out.

Char
CricketCMV Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:26:25 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
I do the same as many of you....I have the three-ring notebooks with the plastic sleeves. I have also bought some of those 5X7" (not notebooks) binders that have the plastic sleeves to put photos in....cheap ones. I love those.

I keep holiday cuts separate from the others.

At one time.... I laid them all out on the top of two little bins and spread them out. I laid a thin film of saran wrap over them to keep them from getting dusty (never used the tops of these for anything else and they were about 4-1/2" tall, so it was easy to see everything). Of course, after you get so many on there, you run out of room! So, then, I started buying the photo savers.

Char
 1 user thanked CricketCMV for this useful post.
Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
blondolphn Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:03:02 PM(UTC)
blondolphn

United States

Char, I'm at work, so I can't post a pic. Cascade sells action packs that are a combination of a powder and gel in a plastic capsule thing. It comes in a plastic container so moisture doesn't get in the container and melt any of the plastic early.
 1 user thanked blondolphn for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 3/13/2013(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:11:06 PM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I have my cuts in a plastice tote with dividers. I put the cuts in ziplocs.
 1 user thanked dorichatelain44314a80 for this useful post.
Rice on 3/20/2013(UTC)
Rice Offline
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:52:37 PM(UTC)
Rice

Sorry I haven't replied. I got sidetracked with other stuff and haven't gotten back to organizing yet. I desperately need to now. I've been frantically finishing up my Southwest cartridge contest project and stuff is everywhere! I got it posted in time, but just barely. That seems to be the story of my life. Now I'm farther behind than usual.

Anyway, these are all wonderful ideas! Thanks so much for sharing them! I'm sure I will be referring back to this thread.