Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

MaryStillman Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 6:18:56 PM(UTC)
MaryStillman

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 1210 time(s) in 763 post(s)
Does anyone else suspect that the Gypsy is going the way of Design Studio?

I bought Simple Cards when it first came out and it still has not been updated to the gypsy. Southwest and the other new card cartridge are not out there either.

Note to self. Only buy carts that are listed on the gypsy! Would be a bummer if I had bought a digital Simple Cards or Southwest!

It's a shame really. The gypsy is so unique in the die cut world.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone have a different brand that uses a gypsy style interface?

Mary
Tina E Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 7:06:52 PM(UTC)
Tina E

Was thanked: 435 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MaryStillman Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone else suspect that the Gypsy is going the way of Design Studio?

I bought Simple Cards when it first came out and it still has not been updated to the gypsy. Southwest and the other new card cartridge are not out there either.

Note to self. Only buy carts that are listed on the gypsy! Would be a bummer if I had bought a digital Simple Cards or Southwest!

It's a shame really. The gypsy is so unique in the die cut world.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone have a different brand that uses a gypsy style interface?

Mary

I have been wondering if the current gypsy is on it's way out too. I've been waiting, what seems like forever, for the gypsy to be linked to the craftroom. I want to be able to take my gypsy and link all my cartridges to the craftroom, as I have hundreds of cartridges. Cricut says it's coming but we've been hearing that for a long time now.

I updated my gypsy this evening and Simple Cards is not there.

I would also be interested if there is a differnt brand that uses a gypsy type style interface.
 1 user thanked Tina E for this useful post.
MaryStillman on 3/16/2013(UTC)
Coah'sNana Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 7:17:26 PM(UTC)
Coah'sNana

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Was thanked: 13234 time(s) in 3715 post(s)
As far as I know the Gypsy is the only hand held design device out there. PC has been slow in getting the updates out, usually about a month after a cart is released, but I figure it's because their primary focus is CCR.

I really think they want to be competitive in the digital market (hence CCR), but I am REALLY hoping that they are working on a tablet sized device to replace the Gypsy. I think their consumers have made it abundantly clear that they love this option. Not all of us can or want to use an internet based design software.

So Mary, to your point, if you are like me, don't buy a cart until you see it listed in your G's library. LOL
 1 user thanked Coah'sNana for this useful post.
MaryStillman on 3/16/2013(UTC)
~LN Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:38:16 AM(UTC)
~LN

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 859 time(s) in 722 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tamainvestigations4a96b6d5 Go to Quoted Post
I have been wondering if the current gypsy is on it's way out too. I've been waiting, what seems like forever, for the gypsy to be linked to the craftroom. I want to be able to take my gypsy and link all my cartridges to the craftroom, as I have hundreds of cartridges. Cricut says it's coming but we've been hearing that for a long time now.

I updated my gypsy this evening and Simple Cards is not there.

I would also be interested if there is a different brand that uses a gypsy type style interface.

Sadly I think it is on its way out. But I agree it is the one thing that stands out from any other die cutting machine..

To be honest it is the only thing that is holding me here with this company...I love this little machineLove Love

Edited by user Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:38:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked ~LN for this useful post.
scrappinUPstyle on 3/18/2013(UTC)
MsMaz Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:53:06 AM(UTC)
MsMaz

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Unfortunately I think you are right it may be on its way out given so many problems I have been reading about. It is a shame it was great to take and create. I am just curious what about all of the free cartriges that we were given when we bought and registered the gypsy and the E2. I wonder if there is plans to switch these over to CCR. I would certainly hope that PR is contemplating this.
GrammyCris Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:56:44 AM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1112 time(s) in 521 post(s)
I agree it will be moved along the wayside....breaks my heart, I love my little Gypsy! But when you think of how fast most of technology changes, this little girl has really hung in there! I just hope and pray if she goes away that she will be replaced by something similar, like the tablet idea suggested above.
Scrapperdee Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:42:03 AM(UTC)
Scrapperdee

Canada

Was thanked: 4075 time(s) in 2336 post(s)
I won't buy any carts unless it'll go on my gypsy!

I can not be tethered to a computer and didn't use my cricut very much (or buy cartridges) UNTIL they came out with the gypsy.

CCR is a sub-standard product.
GracefulGrammar Online
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:11:43 AM(UTC)
GracefulGrammar

Was thanked: 1629 time(s) in 747 post(s)
I posted this on another thread, but it seems appropriate to post here also:

PC announced almost 3 months ago they would be giving Circle Members the Animal Antics cart to make amends for selling Circle carts on the public market. I updated my Gypsy last night and after almost 3 months, Animal Antics was still NOT on the Gypsy list of carts. Seems to me the Gypsy is going the way of Design Studio and the Imagine and the Cake...... another forgotten product on its way to the "discontinued" scrap pile.

Having been involved in technology for years, I don't expect my equipment to last forever; but I do expect it to function and perform as promised before it's cast aside.

RIP
Imagine
Cake
Cake Mini
Martha Stewart Cake
Design Studio
PCLayers.com
PCCrafter.com
CreativeXpress.com
Robert's - PC Retail Brick & Mortar Stores
Gypsy????
Wireless Adapter for the E2???
Yudu???
Cricut Create???
Knifty Knitter???

Anyone else seeing a pattern here???
Di&Co Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:24:06 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 4931 post(s)
Well, we shall have to wait and see.

Im hoping to see a new and improved gypsy with a large screen. I dont want to be hooked up to a computer to create. I love creating on the go. No other company has anything like it.

I am just hoping that it runs beautifully right out of the box. That would blow the competition right out of the water.
scrappinUPstyle Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 8:44:52 AM(UTC)
scrappinUPstyle

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 151 post(s)
I'd like to see PC come out with an app that can be used with a tablet I already own. I have a nook color and nexus 7 and wouldn't be willing to buy another tablet just to use for crafting.I really love my gypsy and hope they don't abandon it. I will not buy another $300 device from them to have it abandoned after 3 years.
 1 user thanked scrappinUPstyle for this useful post.
Leahdax on 3/18/2013(UTC)
BJR Offline
#11 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 9:00:40 AM(UTC)
BJR

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 327 post(s)
I have always thought the Gypsy was one of the best things they camee up with. But I believe it is done for as it was discontinued at the stores here long before the Imagine. No longer to bee seen anywhere. BJR.
Leahdax Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 9:18:04 AM(UTC)
Leahdax

United States

Was thanked: 354 time(s) in 253 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GracefulGrammar Go to Quoted Post
I posted this on another thread, but it seems appropriate to post here also:

PC announced almost 3 months ago they would be giving Circle Members the Animal Antics cart to make amends for selling Circle carts on the public market. I updated my Gypsy last night and after almost 3 months, Animal Antics was still NOT on the Gypsy list of carts. Seems to me the Gypsy is going the way of Design Studio and the Imagine and the Cake...... another forgotten product on its way to the "discontinued" scrap pile.

Having been involved in technology for years, I don't expect my equipment to last forever; but I do expect it to function and perform as promised before it's cast aside.

RIP
Imagine
Cake
Cake Mini
Martha Stewart Cake
Design Studio
PCLayers.com
PCCrafter.com
CreativeXpress.com
Robert's - PC Retail Brick & Mortar Stores
Gypsy????
Wireless Adapter for the E2???
Yudu???
Cricut Create???
Knifty Knitter???

Anyone else seeing a pattern here???

You forgot the YourStory. Also, Roberts split from PC years ago. They stayed open for a while, but then closed their B&M stores. They're still online, tho.

Originally Posted by: scrappinUPstyle Go to Quoted Post
I'd like to see PC come out with an app that can be used with a tablet I already own. I have a nook color and nexus 7 and wouldn't be willing to buy another tablet just to use for crafting.I really love my gypsy and hope they don't abandon it. I will not buy another $300 device from them to have it abandoned after 3 years.

I'm with you 1000% on this. When I first started reading your post, I thought it was mine cause I've said the exact same thing in a post before LOL I do love the portability of the Gypsy, but I WILL NOT spend hundreds of dollars on more PC hardware. Actually, the money I could have spent on PC hardware I'll be spending on another cutter so I can cut out my TTFs and SVG files, WITHOUT needing to be online - but that's a rant for another day. If PC came out with a good, solid app (Android AND iOS) that we could use to design with and that works as advertised out of the box without needing to be connected to the internet, I would buy it in a heartbeat, even if it cost $10.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 12:29:28 PM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
I, too, and a Gypsy lover. I DO NOT want to be tied to my computer to craft.

Rumer has been going around for quite a while that the G has been discontinued. I pray that this is not true.

I will not be using CCR unless I am totally desperate.

And besides that, most of my carts are linked to my G. I certainly can't physically take all of my carts to my DD's house in California to use them on her Expressions.

Nor do I have internet connection in the woods when I take my baby bug camping to scrap in the forest.

Nor does my DD have internet service in her basement, where she does all of her scrapping.

Nope, no CCR for my family.
 1 user thanked joyfullycrafting for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 3/18/2013(UTC)
sewnmachine Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 2:34:46 PM(UTC)
sewnmachine

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 221 post(s)
So, I think the general consensus here is that WE WOULD ALL LOVE A NEW INCARNATION OF THE GYPSY AS A STAND ALONE TABLET APP.

I wonder if PC reads this message board - and if they do - how they would respond? The Gypsy is a brilliant device. And I agree, it would be a real game changer in regards to the competition. Unless of course the "competition" already has something similar in the works. Then that would be a real game changer for PC, and not in a good way.

Here's hoping for a new version of the Gypsy!
 2 users thanked sewnmachine for this useful post.
Scrapperdee on 3/18/2013(UTC), joyfullycrafting on 3/19/2013(UTC)
mickeydee Offline
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:49:38 PM(UTC)
mickeydee

United States

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 171 post(s)
I love my Gypsy, don't remember how to cut without it! I hope it doesn't disappear, but it seems like it may be on it's way out Sad