Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

ladybugstamper Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:05:58 AM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 245 post(s)
Hi. I have an iPhone and iTunes. I am looking for a tablet to use for email. YouTube. Facebook writing short letters and cricut handbooks. And photos

Costco has tablets with scan disks at great prices. Which one. Tablet or iPad (which are pricey)

Thanks for the help
Carolyn Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:18:34 AM(UTC)
Carolyn

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 91 post(s)
It depends on your budget...but having an iPhone already, there shouldn't be a learning curve with the iPad. And sharing between your devices will be so easy. For example, if you put something in your calendar on your phone, the next time you open your calendar on the iPad, it will show up there too. Magic! haha...

We got iPads first. Now have computers...probably going to switch to iPhone soon. Our kids convinced us :-)

It has been so easy to put all my cartridge handbooks on the iPad and I love the way I can easily enlarge the image to see what is there. (mature eyes, haha)

Good luck with your decision!

carolyn in nebraska
GrannyAnne Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:20:15 AM(UTC)
GrannyAnne

United States

Was thanked: 4081 time(s) in 1434 post(s)
I just bought the Samsung Galaxy Note. It is awesome. I didn't care for the cost of an Ipad even though I do have an Iphone. I love my galaxy and it is fast & easy to use.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Jooniper Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:23:40 AM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 809 time(s) in 583 post(s)
I vote iPad. I LOVE my iPad!! Love I'm VERY attached to my iPad. I feel bad and miss my iPad when I leave it at home and SO happy to see my iPad when I return home. LOL

I have a laptop, but I use my iPad 98% of the time. My iPad is the only Apple product I have ever owned, and I love it! I am on my iPad at least 14hrs a day some days more. And I have had it over a year now and not much problems if any.

I have the handbooks to my carts downloaded on here as well.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:26:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Linda Ajello Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:36:15 AM(UTC)
Linda Ajello

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 54 post(s)
My daughter has the Ipad, but we use craft room a lot- i think the ipand is still NOT comaptible with ipad- so if buying a tablet- have you looked at HP surface? they have adobe and should work with craft room. (they also seem to have everthing else to.)
Please let me know if you do get a tablet with touch screen and if it is compatible with craft room. My daughter has cerebral palsy, hand tremors, has had hand surgery on one hand and going for the next hand this year. She loves to cricut and really has a very hard time with the mouse on my laptop with craft room. I volunteer at her school and some of the kids have even MORE issues with hands and co-ordination. I bring my laptop for them but it is hard for them. I am trying to hook up my laptop with SMART BOARD so they can use that.
Any ideas you have when you research your choice, please keep us posted. thank you so much, Linda Ajello

P.S. you can see Megan on my blog and you can see why a tablet that is compatible would be easier- but there are so many choices out there, it gets confusing.
RobinPineo1 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:38:32 AM(UTC)
RobinPineo1

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Iagree ipad esp because you have the iphone, they will work together wonderfully. I have an ipad and now everyonein the house uses it so I ordered an ipad mini from QVC, got it on easy pay and an pay for it for 5 months. I got the 32 GB as I ran out of storage on my ipad with 16gb. They said a movie takes up 2 gb of storage just as a reference. I am thinking the mini will fit in my purse easier. Hope this helps.
jscraftylady Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:39:30 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2034 time(s) in 1108 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jooniper Go to Quoted Post
I vote iPad. I LOVE my iPad!! Love I'm VERY attached to my iPad. I feel bad and miss my iPad when I leave it at home and SO happy to see my iPad when I return home. LOL

I have a laptop, but I use my iPad 98% of the time. My iPad is the only Apple product I have ever owned, and I love it! I am on my iPad at least 14hrs a day some days more. And I have had it over a year now and not much problems if any.

I have the handbooks to my carts downloaded on here as well.

Why doesn't your iPad go with you?!LOL I am never, ever without my iPad in its Cricut green cover.

Everyone in my family (Mom, Dad, preschooler, and kindergartner) has an iPad and we all love them. DH has a Samsung tablet free from his office but it sits untouched. He just prefers his iPad.

That said, I have played quite a bit with his Samsung tablet and it is very nice. I have run into a few glitches and don't find it as intuitive. I also can't get a lot of my favorite apps for it. The one he has runs $400, though, so it's not much cheaper than iPad anyway.
LindainWA Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:49:54 AM(UTC)
LindainWA

United States

Was thanked: 941 time(s) in 551 post(s)
I just got back from my local Staples where I was checking out the tablets. I have a tracfone so I needed something that would allow me to get internet while traveling in the car (we are traveling cross country for a month in April). I also wanted a front and back facing camera (Kindle was out on that score). I wouldn't be using the entertainment part, just accessing the web while traveling to find hotels, etc.

After checking out all that Staples had, none (under $500+) would work w/o buying a stand alone wifi unit which cost $299 or $30 a month. I was hoping to stay under $500 but no luck with any that they had.

I checked online for the Ipad and my best bet was $329 for the mini. I think for now we will be just looking for hotels when we get to destinations. That $300 will buy alot of gas.
joyfullycrafting Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:52:15 AM(UTC)
joyfullycrafting

United States

Was thanked: 1392 time(s) in 1102 post(s)
I don't have any i anything, so I really don't have an opinion on them, but DH has a Samsung Galaxay 10.1 tablet (from Costco last summer!). I got it for him as a gift. When he opened it, he said "what am I going to do with this? Now, he LOVES it. He very seldom leaves it at home. There are days he does not turn on his computer because he uses his tablet all the time.

Youngest DD's fiance' gave her a tablet for Christmas. I don't know the name of it, but it runs on Windows 8, so whatever that is. She really likes it.

I have a smart phone, and a Nook Color that I got software for and turned it into a tablet (all of my handbooks are on my Nook) but I can't log in to the boards on them. BUT, I can log onto the boards with DH's tablet.
Jooniper Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:01:27 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Because I'm afraid I will drop it. Blushing I keep looking for a purse I like that is big enough for my iPad, but I'm picky. I do take it with me to my long Dr appts and when I go in for surgeries to keep me entertained while I wait. I have only dropped my iPad into the floor once since having it and I spazzed out. Hubby thought it funny, but it was not. Just because he all the time drops his phone on a concrete floor and it still works, does not mean me dropping my iPad on hardwood floors is any better. He is on his second android phone since I got my iPad, he just keeps dropping them. Laugh oh and no one else is to touch my iPad. Hubby tries to use it, but he can't stand how I sit there and watch him while he is messing with it. It is like when someone is holding your baby and you hoover and lunge when you think they are going to drop the baby. That is how I do when hubby has my iPad. It freaks me out. Blushing
Jooniper Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:07:59 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Originally Posted by: LindainWA Go to Quoted Post
I just got back from my local Staples where I was checking out the tablets. I have a tracfone so I needed something that would allow me to get internet while traveling in the car (we are traveling cross country for a month in April). I also wanted a front and back facing camera (Kindle was out on that score). I wouldn't be using the entertainment part, just accessing the web while traveling to find hotels, etc.

After checking out all that Staples had, none (under $500+) would work w/o buying a stand alone wifi unit which cost $299 or $30 a month. I was hoping to stay under $500 but no luck with any that they had.

I checked online for the Ipad and my best bet was $329 for the mini. I think for now we will be just looking for hotels when we get to destinations. That $300 will buy alot of gas.

Hubby bought me a Virgin Mobile BroadBand to Go thingy that is wireless internet. That is prepaid. For a $35 card you get 2GB of data for areas with 3G data, and areas with 4G it is unlimited. It is just a little square black box. Hubby paid $89 for it. I have used it a couple of times and it worked great.
LindainWA Offline
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:39:55 PM(UTC)
LindainWA

United States

Was thanked: 941 time(s) in 551 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jooniper Go to Quoted Post
Hubby bought me a Virgin Mobile BroadBand to Go thingy that is wireless internet. That is prepaid. For a $35 card you get 2GB of data for areas with 3G data, and areas with 4G it is unlimited. It is just a little square black box. Hubby paid $89 for it. I have used it a couple of times and it worked great.

I will have to look into that! It would work great, I think and the price is very good.
LazyBee Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:00:30 AM(UTC)
LazyBee

United States

Was thanked: 637 time(s) in 304 post(s)
We have both an IPAD and Android tablet in the house. I think it is a matter of preference. My husband uses the IPAD...me well I like Android...and my husband seeing what I can do on mine-vs-his...would tell you there are limitations to the IPAD. But on the flip side you already have Apple products and know how to use, and sometimes staying within a certain family of products makes it easier to transfer between them.

Personally the reason I like my Android tablet is because it has HDMI, and a SD slot for expandability...so I can carry more movies, books, and music with me. Plus mine also has an attachable keyboad with an USB port and more storage and battery available.

My suggestion would be go to one of the stores that carries both and play with them. They are similar in price if you go with a named brand, so it really just comes down to what you want and prefer.
Jen Offline
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:15:52 PM(UTC)
Jen

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Not much help here, I just find it interesting everyone's preferences. We bought I Pads a little while after they came out. I just gave mine to my son after my dh got me a mini for Christmas. I wasn't using my I Pad much after the newness wore off and it seemed like a waste to just let it sit there not being used and my son was happy to get it. I do take my mini with me when out and about. My husband and daughter often ask to use the mini too. We share a data plan so the mini only cost $10 a month and basically only need to utilize it if there is no wifi available. I think I will use the mini more then I did the I pad because it's so easy to just stick in my purse.

I might think about putting my cartridge handbooks on it. Don't know why I never thought about it before - lol.
swatts66 Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:37:05 PM(UTC)
swatts66

United States

Was thanked: 1048 time(s) in 575 post(s)
I use my iPad almost all of the time. The exception is when I use my laptop for CCR. My iPad goes everywhere with me and I travel a LOT. Hubby has Kindle Fire but still uses his iPad when getting on line. Do want to comment that I read on the kindle. I like the non backlit screen much better for reading.
ladybugstamper Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:20:15 AM(UTC)
ladybugstamper

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 245 post(s)
Hi!
Thanks for all the helpful information. DH and I looked at them yesterday at several stores looking at prices and options and for now, we're not buying one. We have other expenses we'd like to pay off, instead of buying a tablet (although I still want one, because they are cool.

I drive 7 minutes to work, I won't take a table with me to work because it wouldn't be secure. We'd use it at home. We have Iphones that we use when traveling and I wouldn't read on my phone or a tablet, when I have down time I cross stitch.

We've decided to buy a laptop instead, they are smaller and lighter than they used to be. It will replace our computer which is fading. A laptop would have enough memory for our needs and do what we need for the money we are willing to spend. I can still use CCR, do facebook, email, write letters, download my handbooks, Pinterest and other things we do online.

There is always next year to revisit tablets.

Thank You again, for all your help.