Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

lindsem Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:00:07 PM(UTC)
lindsem

Groups: Registered
Cambodja

Hi. My name is Lindsay. I got a Cricut Mini for xmas (super excited) and am a mom of an almost 4 month old boy (Willem).
I have a question - what is the best way to get the image or letters off of the cutting mat without them ripping or wanting to rip?
Thanks!
Can't wait to talk to people who have more experience with the Cricut!!BigGrin
Olivia'sNana Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:13:38 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 767 time(s) in 345 post(s)
Welcome Lindsay and get ready to become addicted. There are a lot of very creative and helpful ladies on the board.

A brand new mat is too sticky for the first few cuts but a way to get it seasoned to where it is not so sticky, you can either dab a clean cotton tshirt or cloth over it or take the palm of your hands and just pat all over the mat. This will remove enough sticky that you can remove your items easier. Be sure to burnish your paper to the mat before cutting to make sure the paper is smooth and solid against the mat. To do this, I usually will lay the mat cover sheet back over the paper and just run my hands over the whole thing to make sure the paper is smooth and solid against the mat. The cricut spatula is a real handy tool to have to help lift cuts off of mat. I find myself generally just using my finger nails because I can do that quicker than trying to find where I have buried my spatula.

To extend the life of your mat once it becomes not sticky enough, gently wash with warm water and dish soap scrubbin gently with a soft scrub brush or scour pad. This will take the fuzzy build up off and freshen it to like new.

Hope this helps and again welcome to the boards.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:17:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

skyfoggy Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 2:49:45 PM(UTC)
skyfoggy

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Welcome Lindsay,

Olivia's Nana left you some great tips. If you don't have the spatula yet -- run to the store to purchase. It's a tool I cannot live with when working with the Cricut. it's sold in craft stores as a separate tool and is not included in the Cricut tool kit. I also have a Mini since the past mother's day and absolutely love it.

Also, to remove images from the cutting mat without tearing is to start by placing the spatula under the image and gently rock the spatula to work the image off the cutting mat. Use your fingers to help steady the image from tearing or warping. As your mat becomes more "seasoned" the easier the letters, etc can be removed from the mat.

Laura

Edited by user Sunday, December 30, 2012 3:00:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Spookysnip Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 9:58:14 AM(UTC)
Spookysnip

Canada

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Welcome Lindsay!

I use a cheap alternative to the spatula and I find it helps me get the very tiny stuff off the mat easier. I use a metal dental pick (one end is straight and the other is shaped like an L), I bought it from a hardware store for like 99 cents. I just put the straight end under the image and slide until it completely unsticks the paper off the mat. Works perfect for me, but it might not be your cup of tea.
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 10:47:31 AM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 799 time(s) in 449 post(s)
Welcome!!

So glad to see you here..... not that I've been around for the last year myself!

I use the scraper tool that comes either in the tool kit or you can buy it separately. I find that the spatula takes the sticky off your mat and onto the spatula and then you have to clean it off with alcohol.... so even when you clean your mt, it isn't sticky any more. Be sure to hole the scraper at a very slight angle to the mat and go slowly at first.

Fingernails work really well too! And they are faster than trying to find a tool!BigGrin