Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

GPSJane Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:21:58 PM(UTC)
GPSJane

Groups: Registered

Hi how do I buy Design Studio online? Also how do I try it out to make sure it's worth it?
CricketCMV Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:34:22 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7597 time(s) in 4447 post(s)
I'm curious.

WHY would you spend money on CDS when you can do the same things you can do on CDS that you can do on the FREE CCR now being offered by PC.......and, you can do MORE in CCR than you can do in CDS?

I'm just curious.

Char
Narelle Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:48:18 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7577 time(s) in 3540 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cricutc081ce7e Go to Quoted Post
Hi how do I buy Design Studio online? Also how do I try it out to make sure it's worth it?

I first wanted to make sure you do in fact mean Cricut Design Studio and not Cricut Craft Room (as that's the forum this is posted in).

If you do mean DS.... It's a great program although a bit limited compared to CCR. In saying that, I love it and still use it at times. It's most obvious feature it has over CCR is that you don't have to be online to use it. It's main negative is that it doesn't work with the E2, the Mini or the Imagine.

You can download DS in trial mode from here: http://www.cricut.com/home/support/CDS (Download the Program Update)

That will give you the program to play with, although it will be in trial mode. If you have a Cricut Personal, Expression or Create you will be able to cut designs you create with the standard cartridge/s that came with your machine.

Your biggest problem will be finding a copy of DS to purchase as it's not being produced any more. (Although that has never to my knowledge been confirmed by PC). Your best bet would probably be eBay.

On the other hand if you actually do mean CCR.... You can access the web version (design only - doesn't allow cutting) from http://craftroom.cricut.com/
GPSJane Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 5:21:54 AM(UTC)
GPSJane

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
I'm curious.

WHY would you spend money on CDS when you can do the same things you can do on CDS that you can do on the FREE CCR now being offered by PC.......and, you can do MORE in CCR than you can do in CDS?

I'm just curious.

Char

Well I saw it costs R499, which is hugely expensive and assumed that it must have better/more features. Since CCR is so limited and difficult to use I would be prepared to pay for software with all the features of a basic editing program.

It seems completely wrong that they continue to sell it at such an exorbitant price when there is a newer free version available. Most companies who release a better and free version of their software would pull all copies of the old one from the shelves.
GPSJane Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 5:32:11 AM(UTC)
GPSJane

Originally Posted by: Narelle Go to Quoted Post
I first wanted to make sure you do in fact mean Cricut Design Studio and not Cricut Craft Room (as that's the forum this is posted in).

If you do mean DS.... It's a great program although a bit limited compared to CCR. In saying that, I love it and still use it at times. It's most obvious feature it has over CCR is that you don't have to be online to use it. It's main negative is that it doesn't work with the E2, the Mini or the Imagine.

You can download DS in trial mode from here: http://www.cricut.com/home/support/CDS (Download the Program Update)

That will give you the program to play with, although it will be in trial mode. If you have a Cricut Personal, Expression or Create you will be able to cut designs you create with the standard cartridge/s that came with your machine.

Your biggest problem will be finding a copy of DS to purchase as it's not being produced any more. (Although that has never to my knowledge been confirmed by PC). Your best bet would probably be eBay.

On the other hand if you actually do mean CCR.... You can access the web version (design only - doesn't allow cutting) from http://craftroom.cricut.com/

Thanks for the info. I searched and searched but could not find this even though they are selling it here in South Africa (see my previous post on why I think that is heinous).

I have a Mini and find it quite annoying that I can't even design offline with it, never mind cutting, which I should be able to do when I have already purchased a cartridge. CCR is also the most limited design software I have ever used, and I am used to using the free versions of everything. I am not asking for much, just some alignment features and for the bugs to be fixed.

I was hoping that Design Studio was something else with bigger better features, seeing as they charge for it!

So far I am unimpressed with the service from ProvoCraft. Links on their website are broken, even after I have reported them. I can't access any cartridge to buy using the 'BUY' button in CCR and half the cartridges available in CCR are not available on the website anyway. Then the opposite also happens, I see a cartridge on the website and there is only very limited information about what it contains but I can't look at it in CCR because the list has not been updated.

I seriously regret buying this machine but since the shipping to return it is not worth it I keep on trying to make it work for me. Of course just before the only big event I needed it for they shut their servers down without notice and there I sat at 6am with no access the cartridges I bought especially for the event.
scrapalette Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 5:46:13 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18422 time(s) in 8188 post(s)
Good thing you didn't buy DS, it doesn't work with the Mini. Only CCR and a Gypsy will work with the Mini.

Generally, if you look at the detailed info link on the carts in the Shopping pages, there will be a link to a PDF of the handbook and you can view all the images {in color} there. If that's not showing up on the site for your country, log into the USA site. Even though you can't buy through that site, you can view everything.
CricketCMV Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 10:07:15 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: cricutc081ce7e Go to Quoted Post
Well I saw it costs R499, which is hugely expensive and assumed that it must have better/more features. Since CCR is so limited and difficult to use I would be prepared to pay for software with all the features of a basic editing program.

It seems completely wrong that they continue to sell it at such an exorbitant price when there is a newer free version available. Most companies who release a better and free version of their software would pull all copies of the old one from the shelves.

Well, what problems are you having in CCR? I mean, it just takes a little getting used to the software to move around in CCR. I don't find it that difficult.

Maybe we can help you with some of your problems until you get more used to it.

Why pay for another software program that might have just as difficult learning curve? I mean, I think the problem is that you just have to get used to what it is you need to do in ANY software program. Whose to say another "basic editing program" wouldn't be just as difficult. I FIND CCR VERY EASY TO USE.....and maybe that's because I used another "editing program" before it ever came along and it used a lot of the same functions....which I think most of them do.

CAN YOU GIVE US SOME SPECIFICS that you find hard to do? At least let us try to get you more acclimated to CCR before you go out and spend $$$$ for something you might be able to use more readily for FREE.

Char

EDITED: I just saw your post above that you tried to use the MINI for a specific event. I'm sorry that didn't work out for you. But, as you say, it's too expensive to send the machine back, so I hope you'll let us try to help you out with what you're trying to do on it. HONESTLY, I don't find CCR hard to use at all. PLEASE LET US TRY TO HELP YOU AS YOU GO ALONG.

Edited by user Friday, November 30, 2012 10:10:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GPSJane Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:10:29 PM(UTC)
GPSJane

@CricketCMV I think you misunderstand me. I did not know that Design Studio is obsolete, I assumed that because you pay for it it would be an upgraded version of CCR. I think it is shcking that they would continue to charge large amounts of money for software that they also provide for free to other people.

CCR is very limited in functionality. I don't think you can help me with functions that are just plain missing. Basic functions the software needs include aligning elements with each other and the mat, distribution of elements, snap grids, ruler guides, some sort of basic masking, single straight lines.

There are many bugs and issues too; CCR struggles to understand welding commands especially when elements are grouped, the bring to front button does not work correctly, I can't select elements quite often and copying to another layer causes absolute chaos.

And the final problem - if Provocraft take their servers offline I simply cannot open CCR let alone cut with the machine that I own. That is simply unfair and no one but Provocraft can actually do anything about it.
CricketCMV Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 02, 2012 10:08:51 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: GPSJane Go to Quoted Post
@CricketCMV I think you misunderstand me. I did not know that Design Studio is obsolete, I assumed that because you pay for it it would be an upgraded version of CCR. I think it is shcking that they would continue to charge large amounts of money for software that they also provide for free to other people.

CCR is very limited in functionality. I don't think you can help me with functions that are just plain missing. Basic functions the software needs include aligning elements with each other and the mat, distribution of elements, snap grids, ruler guides, some sort of basic masking, single straight lines.

There are many bugs and issues too; CCR struggles to understand welding commands especially when elements are grouped, the bring to front button does not work correctly, I can't select elements quite often and copying to another layer causes absolute chaos.

And the final problem - if Provocraft take their servers offline I simply cannot open CCR let alone cut with the machine that I own. That is simply unfair and no one but Provocraft can actually do anything about it.

GPSJane.....it sounds like you were unaware the MINI had to be used with CCR. That's unfortunate. I would hope you could get your money back for the machine, in that case. Since it's hard to know what kind of computers and internet browsers you use in your country, you are correct in stating that ProvoCraft might be the only way to get help with your problems. I'm so sorry the functionality is not there for your country. I do hope ProvoCraft might be able to help you with what you need to get up and running. CCR is not that hard to get around in if you have all the appropriate recommendations available to use it.

ALSO, I hope I wasn't seeming confrontational; I was only trying to understand what your specific problems were and wasn't communicating that very good. Sorry.

If you're unable to call ProvoCraft, why don't you give a little more information (here in your posts in this thread) on the computer you're using and the internet browser you use and maybe one of our CRICUT ladies will come on and help you. They do seem to be monitoring these MBs more and maybe they will help you in this way.

Good luck!

ONE OTHER THING......Did you INSTALL THE DRIVERS for the MINI? If not, go to the CCR home screen and go up to the menus at the top, to HELP. There it will prompt you to INSTALL DRIVERS for the MINI. You will, of course, need to have your MINI plugged into your hard drive on your computer and you will need to have it turned on BEFORE you try to install the drivers.

Char

Edited by user Sunday, December 02, 2012 10:11:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified