Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

coolmom Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:34:46 AM(UTC)
coolmom

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 96 post(s)
I LOVE cricut. Really. I have a baby bug, an expression, an E2, two imagines, a yudo, 2 your story machines, a gypsy, and a spare, and 257 cartridges!
But last week I had to send my gypsy back to be researilized and I almost did not find a new one to send. I bought two. So I see the writing on the wall. Imagine is gone. Gypsy is diappearing. The original expression is not being made any more. And all PC is pushing is CCR . Cricut as we know it is over!
So I am being proactive. I am buying as many blades and matts as I can. I am looking for alternatves for yudo sceens and ink and emulsion paper. I bought an expression original from Walmart this week for a backup. I am searching all my storage places to find all my handbooks because they have pure images. I will let you think about why I might need that in the future. I hope to get at least 2 or 3 years more out of my investment.
Is anyone else preparing for crafting after PC? What are you doing?
Di&Co Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:47:52 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 19015 time(s) in 4904 post(s)
Yes, yes I am. I have several back ups and I am looking at buying more blades and mats. Now having said that, I think PC is getting their ducks in a row. Lots of companies do layoffs and I know one local company in particular does this every fall and is a way of getting rid of their non productive employees. They have done this for the last ten years and the company does very well. They just do layoffs in the fall and are being proactive at staying afloat. I would guess that this is what PC is going. Mallie did say the rumours are false.

I love my cricuts. Totally. Easiest system to use for me. I want a system that will compliment my crafting so that I can enjoy it. And I totally love this system. I have been sucked in once into the drama and I promised myself that I wouldnt do that anymore.

Sometimes staying afloat and keeping afloat one has to make some unpopular decisions. I hope PC is around for a long time because I have no desire to learn a computer system based cutting system. No thanks. Im a simple crafter, computer stuff stresses me out.

There are a ton of cricuts out there and many people have never used a gypsy or anything else for that matter, they just use the cutters straight up.

I have made some purchases of carts that I wanted last week because the deals were good. Now Im looking at supplies to make sure I have enough.

Maybe Im a hoarder. Scared
 2 users thanked Di&Co for this useful post.
pamfairley on 11/27/2012(UTC), Annabella on 11/30/2012(UTC)
MissAnn Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:59:33 AM(UTC)
MissAnn

United States

Was thanked: 395 time(s) in 302 post(s)
I can not even imagine this company folding! After all we are still buying and I feel our complaining has died down some. PC is still making carts and I hope they have a new or an improved machine up their sleeve. Yes, I am being positive and supportive. I don't want these people to lose their jobs. Though many of our disappointments, we have been faithful to this company.when I say I love all my Cricuts, I mean it. Yes, there has been some problems, but we can have a problem with a new pair of shoes the third time we wear them! When I look through my many scrapbook, Cricut is everywhere! I just can't give up on them now. They need us!
 4 users thanked MissAnn for this useful post.
Di&Co on 11/29/2012(UTC), Annabella on 11/30/2012(UTC), ~JD~ on 12/3/2012(UTC), amerrick14ed05f7 on 12/6/2012(UTC)
Willysmom Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:38:43 AM(UTC)
Willysmom

United States

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 144 post(s)
I agree with Miss Ann. I love my Cricuts, so much I had dh buy me the pink E for Christmas. He is not sure why anyone needs more than 1, but being the faithful husband, did as I asked with just a small shake to his head.
I won't give up yet, I want them to succeed and I still want to give them my money. So why should they fail?
jmho

Camille
 2 users thanked Willysmom for this useful post.
Di&Co on 11/29/2012(UTC), MissAnn on 12/3/2012(UTC)
rhondah* Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:28:03 AM(UTC)
rhondah*

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 12313 time(s) in 8234 post(s)
Love I love my Cricut products and hopefully they wil be around for a long long time. I have a back up E and lots of extra mats and blades. You can use another die cutting machine's mats and blades and the I will take other HP ink...so I'm good no matter what happens.
 1 user thanked rhondah* for this useful post.
Sing&Scrap on 11/29/2012(UTC)
jscraftylady Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:56:19 AM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2013 time(s) in 1095 post(s)
I already have several machines and I am not too worried about mats or blades since there are alternatives out there. What I do worry about is digital content. I loved the idea of their digital content and in the beginning, I bought several CCR Exclusives. I was very disappointed to learn that these do not download to my computer and the CCR program would not run while I was offline. If PC folds, it would seem unlikely that they would continue to host the program. I am uncomfortable buying any more digital content.
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
Annabella on 11/30/2012(UTC)
cricaholic Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:55:44 AM(UTC)
cricaholic

Was thanked: 1172 time(s) in 667 post(s)
Huh Yeah, when the "rumor" of the Imagine being discontinued started, I thought about buying up the mats/inks and carts.........
RollEyes but then I came to my senses....when my Imagine dies....what would I do with all those inks and carts??? Their useless!!!!
OhMyGod Now that the Gypsy and Expression are on their way out......
Crying I'm Done with PC products!!!! No more for me!!! I appreciate what I already have and will use my machines till their last breath.....
Cool when my machines are gone the carts will go on ebay.......

Tongue I have a 3rd party machine as a back up.
 1 user thanked cricaholic for this useful post.
*NanaDonna* on 12/3/2012(UTC)
scrappylove Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:49:07 PM(UTC)
scrappylove

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I don't think they're going to close up shop. I do believe they're getting smaller to survive. I love my gypsy but that is a fiasco as far of Provo is concern with all the ones they had to replace. I can see them going expression, Mai and CCR only and more digital. It's way less maintenance. When I got the expression I used it with DS only. Now with the gypsy exclusively. I'm just waiting for them to make the CCR more mobile, say for the iPad and smart phones and I will be just as happy. I guess they have to figure out how to do that for all those who tied their carts to the gypsy. I just believe its a matter of time.

Edited by user Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:51:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

World.Of.Hoard-Craft Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:58:29 PM(UTC)
World.Of.Hoard-Craft

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I don't think ProvoCraft is going anywhere. They sell everything from scissors to paper. I don't think Cricut is going out of business anytime soon, either, since they are still releasing new cartridges, and they just added an embossing blade to the lineup.
I have an E and an Origi-bug. I never bought into the 'newer is always better' mindset, so when the E2 and Imagine came out, I didn't upgrade my machines to newer ones. With all the problems the E2 and Imagine have had, I am very glad I didn't buy either. The Gypsy and Cake are other products that seemed 'nice enough' but not worth the money.
I feel bad for people that jumped to buy these machines that are being discontinued. But I also waited three years after the Cricut debuted to buy one, because I figured the bugs would be worked out by then. Sad that machines were released in Beta mode, then promises were made that never came to fruition, then the machines stopped being made.
jscraftylady Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:30:36 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2013 time(s) in 1095 post(s)
Originally Posted by: World.Of.Hoard-Craft Go to Quoted Post
I don't think ProvoCraft is going anywhere. They sell everything from scissors to paper. I don't think Cricut is going out of business anytime soon, either, since they are still releasing new cartridges, and they just added an embossing blade to the lineup.
I have an E and an Origi-bug. I never bought into the 'newer is always better' mindset, so when the E2 and Imagine came out, I didn't upgrade my machines to newer ones. With all the problems the E2 and Imagine have had, I am very glad I didn't buy either. The Gypsy and Cake are other products that seemed 'nice enough' but not worth the money.
I feel bad for people that jumped to buy these machines that are being discontinued. But I also waited three years after the Cricut debuted to buy one, because I figured the bugs would be worked out by then. Sad that machines were released in Beta mode, then promises were made that never came to fruition, then the machines stopped being made.

It has been my experience that things happen very quickly and that putting out new products is certainly not a sign that a company is doing fine. In fact, going heavily in debt to get a new product to market is often a last ditch effort by a dying company to try to breath new life into its business. Take the demise of Palm. Or my own personal experience of buying a newly released Flip HD video camera literally weeks before Cisco announced a shutdown of Flip Video.

Provocraft lists their primary brands as Cricut, Cuttlebug, Gypsy, Yudu, Yourstory and Knifty Knitter. We know Knifty Knitter is no more. There is very strong evidence that the Gypsy, Yudu and Yourstory are no more (or at least cricutmachine.com which has always seemed to enjoy a tight relationship with Provocraft thinks they will not be produced any longer). Seems like they have put all their eggs in the Cricut basket.
MsBEEhaven Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:05:01 PM(UTC)
MsBEEhaven

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Stop spreading rumors. It does absolutely no good. Unless you work for Provo Craft (top-tier management), you cannot possibly know what is going on, and speculation just incites bad vibes. You wanna help this company, stop spreading panic rumors.

If they hit the skids, they hit the skids...something else will come along to appease you..."the next big thing."

4 users thanked MsBEEhaven for this useful post.
curious george II on 11/29/2012(UTC), CrafteerMisadventures on 11/29/2012(UTC), go-go on 11/30/2012(UTC), MissAnn on 12/3/2012(UTC)
ellamap Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:42:43 PM(UTC)
ellamap

Was thanked: 363 time(s) in 197 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MsBEEhaven Go to Quoted Post
Stop spreading rumors. It does absolutely no good. Unless you work for Provo Craft (top-tier management), you cannot possibly know what is going on, and speculation just incites bad vibes. You wanna help this company, stop spreading panic rumors.

If they hit the skids, they hit the skids...something else will come along to appease you..."the next big thing."

Thank you so much for making this comment. I am so tired of people talking about what is going on in PC as if they actually know for sure. I'm with you! If you don't know it for an absolute fact then don't say it!
 2 users thanked ellamap for this useful post.
scrappylove on 11/30/2012(UTC), MissAnn on 12/3/2012(UTC)
curious george II Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:45:12 PM(UTC)
curious george II

United States

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 61 post(s)
Thank you Coolmom for posting this. . . it is a thought and I like you hope that PC will have a long life although they have discontinued some of their machine to include my beloved "I". Who knows they maybe trying to come up with a way that CCR will be able to work with IPAD's, tablets and other portable electronics? Yes it takes time, money, know how but dont all good things? Who know PC might be trying to come up with a new and improve gypsy will I be mad because I bought an old one no not ever. . . will I buy a new one if the screen is bigger that will definitely sell me and I of course will either donate my gypsy or give it to someone less fortunate than I. I was first turned on to circut my a friend of mine. . . and my first machine was an "I" but I am not ready to give up on PC as of yet. If it folds then like MsBEEhaven stated on to the next big thing and we ride that wave until "the next big thing" comes along. . . May PC have a long lifespan and continue helping be happy crafters.

Curious II

BTW ellamap I really love your photo "Walking in the snow"

Edited by user Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:47:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked curious george II for this useful post.
scrappylove on 11/30/2012(UTC)
MsBEEhaven Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2012 9:07:12 AM(UTC)
MsBEEhaven

Was thanked: 233 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Here's a classic (though slightly exaggerated) example...last night, after I shut down my computer, I went in to say good-night to my daughter. I could tell that she was upset about something, so I asked what it was. She told me that she had read a "report" (on-line, of course) about Adam Sandler being killed in a snow boarding accident. Well, we all really like Adam Sandler at our house, so on first instinct, I rushed in to my computer, flipped it on again, and proceeded to post my official Adam Sandler mourning post on Facebook. But something just didn't seem right...I hadn't seen ANY reports of this story on the mainstream news...nothing local, nothing national. So, because I've learned not to trust everything I read (or hear about)on-line, I did a bit of research. Turns out, Adam Sandler is alive and quite well, thank you. So is Bill Cosby, who has been declared dead several times on the Internet, and he's not happy about it. LOL This kind of thing has happened over and over again...especially to celebrities! In this day and age, what you share "out there," you REALLY share.

The thing is, if we would all learn to share good, positive things, instead of bad, life would be so much nicer. Is there anything wrong with nicer? Really? And at the very least, don't share speculations. If you know something to be true - AND YOU CAN HELP OTHERS BY SHARING IT - then share it!

3 users thanked MsBEEhaven for this useful post.
rhondah* on 11/30/2012(UTC), Selena on 11/30/2012(UTC), scrappylove on 11/30/2012(UTC)
Dragonfly50 Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 5:44:13 AM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1219 time(s) in 728 post(s)
First off I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion whether I agree with it or not.

That being said when Joanns started to carry less and less Cuttlebug stuff I stocked up on what I could get just in case. I have 25-30 B plates stored for when I need them. I have hundreds of dies so I will eventually use the plates as my current ones get too many cuts and they leave indentions on my paper.

I have also purchased tons of extra mats and blades for my Baby Cricut and my E (and my spare).

Did I do this because I believed PC was going under. NO.
I did it because I prefer brick and mortor store shopping to online shopping.

I put off buying a Cricut for a long time because I was told by an employee at one of the large national craft stores that they were going to stop carrying Cricut products. That didn't end up happening whether it was a rumor or they and PC came to an agreement to get them to continue to sell them or not I lost about a year and a half of Cricut crafting fun due to that.

While it is true that many Walmarts stopped carrying Cricut products I believe that had more to do with Walmarts bottom line. They never had the cartridges on sale and for many people the cost for the Lites were not worth the limited amount of cuts on them. Why pay more for a Lite cartridge when you could get a full cartridge on sale much cheaper elsewhere?

That being said things change whether we like it or not.

Very soon our VHS machines will probably be useless due to our cable company switching to all digital this month. I love to record my shows and watch them at my leasure and have been told they won't record once analog is turned off completely. I will wait and see not just unplug it now due to rumors.

I love using my Cricuts, cartridges and cuttlebug stuff.
Does that mean I will never buy anything else? NO.

Did this thread make me want to stop buying PC stuff? NO.
When was the last time I bought a PC product? Last week.
When will I buy the next one? When a new physical cartridge I like comes out or during the next good sale I find.

Personally if PC ever goes completely digital cartridge/cuts that will put an end to my cartridge purchases and I will just use the ones I have. that is just my personal preference.
Have I purchased digital cuts? Yes. I bought a few individual cuts.
Will I invest a lot in digital cuts. No.

If PC made the older discontinued physical cartridges available for purchase again I feel they would have a lot of cartridge sales since there are a lot of us who missed getting them the first time around. (PC this is my crafting wish for the New Year if you are listening.)

I pray for the sake of all of PCs employees that nothing happens to this company.
It is how they support their families and that is what is the most important thing here.

Thanks for listening.
D-
(please remember these are my opinions and thoughts and I did not mean any of them to be negative towards anyone.)

2 users thanked Dragonfly50 for this useful post.
ellamap on 12/3/2012(UTC), gcmcevoy on 12/3/2012(UTC)
MSJhun Offline
#16 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 2:08:34 PM(UTC)
MSJhun

Was thanked: 241 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jscraftylady Go to Quoted Post
I already have several machines and I am not too worried about mats or blades since there are alternatives out there. What I do worry about is digital content. I loved the idea of their digital content and in the beginning, I bought several CCR Exclusives. I was very disappointed to learn that these do not download to my computer and the CCR program would not run while I was offline. If PC folds, it would seem unlikely that they would continue to host the program. I am uncomfortable buying any more digital content.

I am with you on this. I like some of the digital images that Cricut have but,I couldn't trust buying digital form PC. When PC d the updates, you never know what could go wrong. It never fails, when I update any of my machines, gypsy etc., I always have to contact PC to get them corrected.
~JD~ Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 5:06:35 PM(UTC)
~JD~

United States

Was thanked: 1150 time(s) in 894 post(s)
Originally Posted by: World.Of.Hoard-Craft Go to Quoted Post

Laugh LOL this is too funny, I would of thought I posted this until I got to the part where you said "But I also waited three years after the Cricut debuted to buy one, because I figured the bugs would be worked out by then." I bought the original Bug in 2006 right after it came out. Then bought my E right after it came out. :)
Thecraftytouch Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 7:12:40 PM(UTC)
Thecraftytouch

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 177 post(s)
Funny...I was thinking the same thing this weekend as I was repurposing old 8 track tapes - lol. I suppose if i heard they were closing shop...i'd stock up on blades (since no one else makes these blades)...then mats.
~JD~ Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2012 7:20:34 PM(UTC)
~JD~

United States

Was thanked: 1150 time(s) in 894 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MsBEEhaven Go to Quoted Post
Here's a classic (though slightly exaggerated) example...last night, after I shut down my computer, I went in to say good-night to my daughter. I could tell that she was upset about something, so I asked what it was. She told me that she had read a "report" (on-line, of course) about Adam Sandler being killed in a snow boarding accident. Well, we all really like Adam Sandler at our house, so on first instinct, I rushed in to my computer, flipped it on again, and proceeded to post my official Adam Sandler mourning post on Facebook. But something just didn't seem right...I hadn't seen ANY reports of this story on the mainstream news...nothing local, nothing national. So, because I've learned not to trust everything I read (or hear about)on-line, I did a bit of research. Turns out, Adam Sandler is alive and quite well, thank you. So is Bill Cosby, who has been declared dead several times on the Internet, and he's not happy about it. LOL This kind of thing has happened over and over again...especially to celebrities! In this day and age, what you share "out there," you REALLY share.

The thing is, if we would all learn to share good, positive things, instead of bad, life would be so much nicer. Is there anything wrong with nicer? Really? And at the very least, don't share speculations. If you know something to be true - AND YOU CAN HELP OTHERS BY SHARING IT - then share it!

Just want to say Thanks! It's so nice to see a nice post. :) So, just thanks!