Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Paula AnneSmith Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:16:11 PM(UTC)
Paula AnneSmith

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone. Happy New Year!

Well, I am researching like crazy and think I want the MINI.
I don't have the space for a large machine, unless I was to come across one at an amazing price.

The main reason for my wanting the mini is to cut vinyl.
Has anyone done this yet?

I keep reading about people using their gypsy for the mini. What if don't have a gypsy.
I just was hoping to hook up to the craft room and have no additional things to buy...ie: the gypsy or cartridges.
Is this possible?

Thank you all so much.
Paula
lovethatbug Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:27:43 PM(UTC)
lovethatbug

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 228 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Paula AnneSmith Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone. Happy New Year!

Well, I am researching like crazy and think I want the MINI.
I don't have the space for a large machine, unless I was to come across one at an amazing price.

The main reason for my wanting the mini is to cut vinyl.
Has anyone done this yet?

I keep reading about people using their gypsy for the mini. What if don't have a gypsy.
I just was hoping to hook up to the craft room and have no additional things to buy...ie: the gypsy or cartridges.
Is this possible?

Thank you all so much.
Paula

Hi Paula,
The mini is a nice machine because it is so little. I love to cut vinyl as well. The mini doesn't work yet with the mini. The only thing you would need is carts, but inside the craft room there is a free cart called Cricut Craft Room Basics that you could use. I did a video if you want to see how I cut vinyl using the craft room and the mini
Here is the video
Stacy
Paula AnneSmith Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:58:25 PM(UTC)
Paula AnneSmith

Watched the video and your pros and con video too. Thanks for the info.
And yes...it sounds very loud. (Thankfully I can turn my hearing aids down when I cut...LOL)

After watching your video though I became a bit confused.
I was under the impression I don't need to purchase cartridges to ue the mini.
Yet, your video showed a cartridge. I thought all images and fonts could be purchased individually digitally.
I really would rather not purchase an item that I am constantly going to have to purchase cartridges for.
Help with this question would be very much appreciated.

Paula
CricketCMV Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:50:41 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
The MINI works only when you are using Cricut CraftRoom (CCR) with it; you have to download CCR to your computer to get the CUT button to work with the MINI.

You don't HAVE to buy cartridges to use the MINI. You can, instead, buy digital images that will be downloaded to your CCR files. If you do ever decide to buy cartridges (which, to me, are much cheaper than the digital route--but it's your own likes/dislikes and if you ONLY WANT TO BUY THE HIGHER PRICED DIGITALS, then that is certainly up to you), you can use them in your MINI. I think you can use ALL cartridges in the MINI, but I'm not sure. There is a machined called the IMAGINE, which prints and cuts on your cards (the only machine at this point that prints on your projects) and some of the cartridges are for the IMAGINE only. So, I don't remember whether or not the IMAGINE cartridges will work with the MINI. Some of them wouldn't because they are specifically for printing on papers--not just for cutting, which is what all the other machines do at this point (CUT only; they don't print). Clear as mud, I know.

You buy the digital images by going to cricut.com and researching for the digitals. You can VIEW the digitals while you're in CCR (you can view CCR online--without downloading the CUT version to your computer--before you decide to buy the MINI or to download CCR).

If you own any other machines at this point, you can download CCR to your computer to get the CUT function and the one cartridge that is FREE to EVERYONE, is Cricut CraftRoom Basics. You can create a project and CUT from that cartridge. We ALL own it for FREE.

Char